Player contracts and transfers

David123

former Hamilton left back Stephen Hendrie has been released by the irons. could be an option 

Played at a high level recently, Scottish and fills the position Tommy's looking for. Would be a great signing but I fear Tommy is looking for a young fringe player who can step in and fill the voids when needed (basically a Left Back Clive Smith) - Stephen Hendrie would probably displace Easton, or give him stiff competition. Although that could be a good thing, we could've used the wages up top where we need signings most.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

I've no idea what left back we'll get. Ideally a younger one, happy to play back up for a few years before displacing Easton. Hendrie/Taylor-Sinclair fit that to an extent, but neither would likely be happy to sit in the stands most week. 

Kyle constantly jokes about Paul Dixon, but hes likely the best sort of option we can get. 

Tommy has clearly said he wants an experienced left back as cover Wee mental davie.

At the end of the day, the chances of recruiting a left back with top flight experience who isn't 30 odd and playing at a substandard level, and willing to sit on the bench for some games, is basically nil. Unless Tommy can put a guarantee on game time, I just can't see how he's going to be able to get in a tried and tested top flight player who's willing to potentially sit on the bench, waiting for one of our most consistent players to "pick up a wee niggle". I'd rather give the youth an opportunity and recruit players up top. It's not like the "20s" are getting any younger.

At the end of the day, the chances of recruiting a left back with top flight experience who isn't 30 odd and playing at a substandard level, and willing to sit on the bench for some games, is basically nil. Unless Tommy can put a guarantee on game time, I just can't see how he's going to be able to get in a tried and tested top flight player who's willing to potentially sit on the bench, waiting for one of our most consistent players to "pick up a wee niggle". I'd rather give the youth an opportunity and recruit players up top. It's not like the "20s" are getting any younger.

Odd logic. You want us to forget about signing a left back so we don't hinder the development on the youth (who is the youth left black, BTW..), but want us to sign a striker, which will hinder Kane and Hurst. 

Excellent signing. Really happy with this one. A bit wary of the Swanson replacement talk though, very different players. I see Scougall more central than a wide player. A bit more of an attacking Chris Millar ( remember when Chris Millar scored loads of goals for Morton - crazy eh?).

Odd logic. You want us to forget about signing a left back so we don't hinder the development on the youth (who is the youth left black, BTW..), but want us to sign a striker, which will hinder Kane and Hurst. 

No, all I'm saying is that with our budget, in terms of investing in a quality back up to Easty, we should invest up top where we need to, and take the oppertunity to allow the youth a shot.

I'll agree with you there that it's odd, but we need a striker who can really make the magic happen up the park. We've seen enough of Chris Kane to know he isn't that, and we don't yet know enough about Hurst at this level. Stevie May was a gamble in itself but at least we had an idea as to what type of player he was previously before his prime (2-0 against Accies comes to mind).

It's less of a gamble to take with Defenders as there's still 3 others in a game to back them up and keep them right, whereas a striker is purely down to the individual's ability to score.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

is comrie not our young lb ? Eastons injury doesnt seem too serious so i dont see a problem giving him a few games when Easton is injured. Is Watson still with us ? if so is he fit?

Comrie plays at right back. Aberdeen fan said Foster played better at left back.

Don't see the need for a left back to sit on bench all season whilst Comrie sits in stand or loaned out.

is comrie not our young lb ? Eastons injury doesnt seem too serious so i dont see a problem giving him a few games when Easton is injured. Is Watson still with us ? if so is he fit?

Comrie is/so far has been used/recognised  as a right back  

Gilchrest when he has been fit has been used out on loan as a left back.

Watson has been told he can leave but reading between the lines we have to get him fit enough  for him to move on so looks like he is not fit surprise surprise ,

Foster can play left back if required plus spoony and Craig can play left back Craig did a fine job covering there  a few years ago

If we need spooner to play left back no wonder we are desperately looking for a LB Tucker

Liam was adequate when he was younger but not now for me

Tommy needs a left back,

He has played most u20 games at left back.

Only played a few latterly at Centre back.

Looks like Tommy was trying to see if he could cover at left back. The answer seems to be no if he is looking for another left back. So why give him a contract .