Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann

£250k seems to be what the papers are saying Aberdeen will bid not what Preston want for him. In fact I've not seen anything indicating Preston want rid of him. He's hardly played for them thanks to his injury. Grayson was after him for a while so I'd be surprised if he let him go so easily. If he does then it suggests he just not the same player after his career threatening injury.

Can't see May moving anywhere at this stage. He's just about to have his first real pre-season with Preston after coming back from the injury, and he finished last season in a positive way by scoring on his return. Why he would want to leave now, just as things look to be getting back on track?

Del is desperate to get hold of him, and has tried in the past. It seems unlikely that he'll change that stance any time soon, so Stevie should be getting stuck in at PNE for now and Aberdeen will still be an option for him in January if things don't go to plan. He should stay out of Scotland for as long as possible for the sake of his career.

Interesting that Preston will let him go for £250,000K yet they paid close on £1,000,000 for him, paper talk I think  ?

Its paper talk, yes. McInnes is linked with him every window. Bearing in mind the £1m Preston have spent on him, the fact they've let him spend almost a year recovering and he scored when he finally got played last season, I'd be stunned if they decided to virtually let him leave for nothing.

Only thing going for it, is that his contract expires at the end of the season, so any fee now would be better than nothing, if they already believe he'll be allowed to leave next Summer.

Tam Scobbie on STV news seems a bit bitter as he says he was only offered a 35% pay cut to sign. What was he on?

All these savings should go towards a replacement but up front.

I think Tam Is right to be pissed off , who wouldn't be if you were getting your wages cut by more than a 3rd . I think Broon is out of order.

I think Tam Is right to be pissed off , who wouldn't be if you were getting your wages cut by more than a 3rd . I think Broon is out of order.

It is hard to comment without knowing the full facts.

What was he on?

Was there bonuses added which made it more a pay per play contract?

Remember this is a guy who has went through 2 lengthy injuries which they have supported him through.

Tam played 105 games in 5 seasons does not seem a lot.

Tam played 105 games in 5 seasons does not seem a lot.

Maybe not  but he played just as well as the players he replaced in those 100 games. Would a youngster? Having players like Tam as backup are one of the reasons we are so consistent and injuries don't affect us like other teams.

Granted that's a short term view but that's our approach. 

Surely Brown could have shown him the courtesy of meeting with him to negotiate.  

If Scobie was prepared to accept a 15% wage cut, I can't see how we will find a replacement for the same value who has his experience and is prepared to be a squad player.

Tommy obviously felt he was an important part of the team just a shame Brown doesn't share the 'In Tommy we trust' ethos

£250k seems to be what the papers are saying Aberdeen will bid not what Preston want for him. In fact I've not seen anything indicating Preston want rid of him. He's hardly played for them thanks to his injury. Grayson was after him for a while so I'd be surprised if he let him go so easily. If he does then it suggests he just not the same player after his career threatening injury.

Even if they were going to sell him I couldn't see it being for this price since they paid 800K for him. I'm sure they would want something closer to that if they did sell him

Tam Scobbie hits out at St Johnstone Chairman Steve Brown...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/tam-scobbie-hits-out-at-st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-1-4480415

Interesting read, but I have to say I do agree with Tam 100%. The chairman's been a bit of an arsehole here, despite the fact Tommy valued Tam and wanted to keep him. Steve Brown should really let Tommy have the say over contracts - before he gets so pissed of and heads to pastures new as a result.

All the best Tam.

Tam Scobbie hits out at St Johnstone Chairman Steve Brown...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/tam-scobbie-hits-out-at-st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-1-4480415

Interesting read, but I have to say I do agree with Tam 100%. The chairman's been a bit of an arsehole here, despite the fact Tommy valued Tam and wanted to keep him. Steve Brown should really let Tommy have the say over contracts - before he gets so pissed of and heads to pastures new as a result.

All the best Tam.

Strange one.  

You would think it would be the Chairman's job to set the total budget and the Manager's job to decide how that budget is divvied up.

Whatever line of work you are in, it is very demotivating if your boss doesn't delegate.

Guest ScottMann

Only because he was injured. He'd have been on the bench otherwise.

Even then he wouldn't have been the star they're trying to make him out to be. Not having a go at him, just the sensationalism.

What I don't get about the Tam Scobie contract negotiations is where the 35% price cut comes from.  I get the fact that the chairman wants value for money and how tightening the shoe strings in one area could allow for more money being spent in the other.  I just feel based on the reports we've heard that's an embarrassing cut to expect a very loyal and good servant to the club to take.  Would be interested to know whether midge was treated in the same way when he agreed his contract in that he's been injury prone and gradually becoming more of a squad player.  

Only because he was injured. He'd have been on the bench otherwise.

Even then he wouldn't have been the star they're trying to make him out to be. Not having a go at him, just the sensationalism.

Can't believe these comments.  Big Tam was without question the best player Saints had on their books.......probably since John McQuillan.............maybe even since Stuart Beedie.

Not got the exact numbers, but last season we ran with a first team squad of ~22 players, if you're including the likes of HurstX2 and Gilchrist. This year we're sitting at 25/26 due to Comrie, Kerr, McLean all now being considered first team players (by Tommy), with TW wanting three more. 

It's not hard to see why Brown wants to cut the wages of players who barely play, especially when the suggestion was that Scobbie was earning a first team wage despite being a back up player. It sounds like Scobbie has been forced out, but it's only his (bitter) side of the story we're getting. 

Guest ScottMann

Looks like we didn't sign anyone else before the Euro deadline unfortunately. At least we didn't panic and bring someone in just for the sake of it. Is this deadline just for the first round or are we knackered for playing any new players if we get through?