Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann

You're right of course and our next competitive game is still just under 4 weeks away. The mid summer Euro start is a nightmare in many ways.

Couple of other things worth noting are there would be players on First Division contracts in 09/10 especially and Wright is currently trying to lose Watson from this season's squad.

• 2009/10: 23 senior players
  • 2010/11: 21 senior players
  • 2011/12: 22 senior players
  • 2012/13: 20 senior players
  • 2013/14: 19 senior players
  • 2014/15: 18 senior players
  • 2015/16: 17 senior players
  • 2016/17: 20 senior players
  • 2017/18: 18 senior players

I think that represents what we already know about the movement of the budget since promotion. It was at its highest in 2011/12 (we signed five strikers alone in the summer),  Lomas took a hit then jumped ship when it was going down again. Wright enjoyed a slight increase last season (confirmed by chairman) but what happens now? Steve Brown says he's prepared to back the manager so surely we should expect another two or three established arrivals?

Thanks for that Radford - interesting to see those numbers. I'd also add to that that it's probably not just the size of the squad, but the quality of players we were bringing in. Guys like Morris, Duberry, Enckleman, Sandaza must all have been picking up good salaries. Even when Duberry left and it looked like he'd be impossible to replace, we immediately went out and picked up Frazer Wright from Kilmarnock. It's hard to imagine any of that happening now - a year or two from now how will we go out and replace Ando, Millar and Macca at the ends of their careers if the budget keeps getting cut? This summer we weren't even in a position to be able to keep/replace a back-up player like Scobbie.

I mentioned to someone the other day that I think a difference between Geoff Brown and Steve Brown is that, while they both ran a tight ship, Geoff seemed to know when to break his own rules. Steve seems much more rigid and unwilling to bend - maybe because he's less experienced than Geoff was, or maybe because money's even tighter now than it was then.

Thanks for that Radford - interesting to see those numbers. I'd also add to that that it's probably not just the size of the squad, but the quality of players we were bringing in. Guys like Morris, Duberry, Enckleman, Sandaza must all have been picking up good salaries. Even when Duberry left and it looked like he'd be impossible to replace, we immediately went out and picked up Frazer Wright from Kilmarnock. It's hard to imagine any of that happening now - a year or two from now how will we go out and replace Ando, Millar and Macca at the ends of their careers if the budget keeps getting cut? This summer we weren't even in a position to be able to keep/replace a back-up player like Scobbie.

I mentioned to someone the other day that I think a difference between Geoff Brown and Steve Brown is that, while they both ran a tight ship, Geoff seemed to know when to break his own rules. Steve seems much more rigid and unwilling to bend - maybe because he's less experienced than Geoff was, or maybe because money's even tighter now than it was then.

Steve just does what he is allowed to do by Geoff.

Geoff is the major shareholder so it's his money at stake,

2011 year end accounts Saints had 1.1 million cash in the biscuit tin

2016 year end shows 2.1 million in the tin.

Dont see turnover reducing this year but fans need to be entertained and a big part of that in football is scoring goals. Reducing entertainment = reducing attendance.

Financially we seem to be in a great position, Macca probably in last year at this level, possibly manage 2, and he is not all out poacher. We need another 2 to replace our underachieving forwards.

Come on Saints time for some new blood up front. 

11 July today. 

Transfer window open till 31 August. 

That will be the time to judge. 

As we're likely to only sign players who have been released then the transfer deadline is neither here nor there for us. 

I reckon though around that time will be when we'll sign a striker if we do sign one as players becomes avaliable who were previously under contract but allowed to leave before window shuts for free. Like Foster was in Jan. 

Edited by Perth Guy

As we're likely to only sign players who have been released then the transfer deadline is neither here nor there for us. 

I reckon though around that time will be when we'll sign a striker if we do sign one as players becomes avaliable who were previously under contract but allowed to leave before window shuts for free. Like Foster was in Jan. 

Foster signed last August I think.  Certainly long before January. 

You are of course correct about the transfer window and it's relevance to our transfer policy. 

The window being open til end of August is irrelevant. If we leave it til then the pot will be empty.

If we want to pick up decent players we have to get in first.

Have a feeling most players/agents will be holding out to see if they can get the best offer.

Steve just does what he is allowed to do by Geoff.

Geoff is the major shareholder so it's his money at stake,

2011 year end accounts Saints had 1.1 million cash in the biscuit tin

2016 year end shows 2.1 million in the tin.

Dont see turnover reducing this year but fans need to be entertained and a big part of that in football is scoring goals. Reducing entertainment = reducing attendance.

Financially we seem to be in a great position, Macca probably in last year at this level, possibly manage 2, and he is not all out poacher. We need another 2 to replace our underachieving forwards.

Come on Saints time for some new blood up front. 

Not sure if Geoff has any of his own money at stake.

I think the only time he put his own money at risk was to buy Billy Dodds & I think he sold him on for a personal profit.

Particks right back just suffered a serious injury, and seemingly their manager has mentioned they'll have to restructure their targets this Summer as he hadn't budgeted for another full back. 

Might mean they've dropped their interest in MOH. 

Maybe they could take Keith Watson off our hands and free up our budget to go get MOH? Everyone's a winner. 

Not sure if Geoff has any of his own money at stake.

I think the only time he put his own money at risk was to buy Billy Dodds & I think he sold him on for a personal profit.

It's all Geoffs , he owns the shares.

If Steve has a free reign on the cash it is not working on the current model.

Strikers cost more, strikers that can score cost even more.

Off to Vegas next week if the big one comes in we will have a new striker.

A player who has the mind set he does and the way he behaved when he wanted away just does not sit well with me. I don't doubt his talent but he clearly has commitment issues

What way did misbehave prior to leaving Saints? For all we know his form just dropped. He hardly set the world alight prior to his purple patch!

He played poorly so Saints fans have concluded he played badly on purpose. Did he play badly on purpose to force a move? Find that hard to believe.

If he did it on purpose TW wouldn't have kept playing him regularly if he was deliberately letting the team down. He didn't have to play badly to get a move as Saints would have accepted the offer regardless of his form. 

He apparently didn't turn up for a under 20s game for Rangers. We've only heard one side of the story, most of it from a newspaper incapable of actually printing a truthful story most days. If his attitude was like that during his period in Perth previously TW wouldn't want him back. The fact he does says to me his attitude is at worst absolutely fine. 

It could all well be true but I imagine majority not. 

Edited by Perth Guy

What way did misbehave prior to leaving Saints? For all we know his form just dropped. He hardly set the world alight prior to his purple patch!

He played poorly so Saints fans have concluded he played badly on purpose. Did he play badly on purpose to force a move? Find it hard to believe he did it on purpose as Tommy wouldn't have kept playing him if MOH was deliberately letting the team down. He didn't have to play badly to get a move as Saints would have accepted the offer regardless of his form. 

He apparently didn't turn up for a under 20s game for Rangers. We've only heard one side of the story, most of it from a newspaper incapable of actually printing a truthful story most days. If his attitude was like that during his period in Perth previously TW wouldn't want him back. The fact he does says to me his attitude is at worst absolutely fine. 

It could all well be true but I imagine majority not. 

hey its just an opinion and what I saw wasn't a dip in form it was a player who was not interested

Edited by Broggy Man

He clearly did lose interest. The Motherwell away game where he asked to be subbed off after about 15 minutes for absolutely no reason (Tommy went absolutely mental on the touchline) was probably a low point. He was virtually useless in the Semi at Tynecastle too, obviously already knowing he was moving so shirked any form of physicality incase he got a knock. 

Still not sure I'd hold it completely against him though, May was the same in his last game (Andos testimonial). 

Dave McKay did an interview after MOH missed the Sevco under-20 game saying that wasn't the MOH he knew.  Said that he had a tremendous attitude at Saints. Tommy clearly doesn't have any doubts about his attitude either. 

Not sure you can compare a testimonial to a competitive game. 

I don't blame O'Halloran. His head was turned by big money at a club with a big reputation. It hasn't worked and I'd like to think it has probably taught him a lesson. 

but it has worked ask his bank manager

Dave McKay did an interview after MOH missed the Sevco under-20 game saying that wasn't the MOH he knew.  Said that he had a tremendous attitude at Saints. Tommy clearly doesn't have any doubts about his attitude either. 

I'm still completely unconvinced it was MOHs fault that. For the past six months Rangers have been trying to cancel contracts left right and centre. The Warburton fiasco was the highest profile of it, but something stank about how O'Halloran was treated then aswell, they seemed desperate to make it look like a breach of his contract. 

Barrie McKay was the same, chucked into the U20s and being offered to every club in England. 

We need a fast paced player who has the ability to pass players and provide opportunities for others as well as themselves, that was sadly lacking against FK Trakai. If it has to be MOH and that's all we can get then so be it. It could be a long season if we don't. I'm sure Tommy, if given a sum of money, will do his best for the club, as will Steve Brown to make sure we don't overstretch ourselves. I'm pretty sure there are other teams in our league doing that, looking at some signings going on this summer.

Plenty time yet and I don't believe for a moment everyone at the club is sitting on their pumpers thinking life is rosy.