Player contracts and transfers

David123

The reality is that while yes, we could afford to pay the fee for May, there would be no hope in hell Saints would shell out that plus the wages he'd want.

Great signing Aberdeen are getting there, assuming he's fully over his injury. Wish him well except from when he's playing us.

Would love for Saints to have a 'wow' signing and someone to get excited about, but know that's just not going to happen. Storey would be a decent signing, assuming we are likely to be going for him, but I worry we are leaving ourselves short.

Maybe the bigger concern is that now it seems other clubs have got their acts together and are able to pay fees for players and decent wages.

Until very recently, Hearts, Hibs and until a couple of years ago, Aberdeen while being bigger, haven't necessarily been able to massively outgun us in terms at wages etc, but they have all moved on a level in that respect and we cannot compete.

The frustration I suppose is that the advantage we had of not having to service debt, which allowed us to have this golden spell isn't really there now and it doesn't feel like we've managed to fully capitalise in it in that we haven't really banked a massive fee for players, we haven't grown the fan base and are falling behind re training facilities.

Not saying we are all of a sudden be rubbish or get relegated, but I do feel that when we look back in years to come it will have felt like we missed opportunities off the pitch.

that said, it will make it all the sweeter when we finish top 6 again. This is the best overall quality top flight we have had for a long time.

I take it if we're signing Storey then the world mega-star we've been holding off for isn't coming.

Not convinced. We've always run with four strikers. I suspect he wanted either Storey or another to add to the three here. Cummins and Kane didn't bother the keeper agaisnt Killie or Thistle and maybe forced his hand into signing two. 

Getting two means one had to go, loaning Kane out is easier than selling Cummins. Storey to come in after Aberdeens game this weekend, and we'll continue pursuing another. I reckon. 

By Tommy getting in Scougall and MOH, I guess his idea was that he could possibly get away with not having a decent target man striker by getting in the gems in midfield to provide the sort of service a striker dreams of. The only problem is, whilst we have two top quality midfielders recruited, as well as a holder up front, that striker left to make something of it is Cummings.

On the brighter side, I'm happy for RandomGuy that his May prediction finally came to fruition. Hopefully, his missus will cook him an extra rasher o' bacon for his brekkie the morning :)

Maybe the bigger concern is that now it seems other clubs have got their acts together and are able to pay fees for players and decent wages.

Interesting perspective on it, but I don't see it that way at all. What you suggest is "other clubs getting their acts together" I see as other clubs slowly slipping back towards living outside their means. We've been here before, after all. For a lot of these clubs it doesn't end well. Saints, meanwhile, will be just fine.

Mabey me! but Storey, McKay, Grahame, McDonald, Sammon even May never got me thinking they would be a vast improvement for us TBH and at a cost, I still felt Habrian (or what ever his name was) had a bit of excitement/potential about him for me that is more beneficial than a older and failed professional elsewhere we have them already.

Nobody especially me is saying that Hendry is the answer however if he is sat in the stands never playing we will never know. if the old saying TW sees him every week at training and will know his attributes then why sign him in the first place to sit in the stands? Also that argument stands for Cummins as well yet he plays near every week we/I the fans think he is not up to our level yet TW must see something in training that he continues to pick him, strange one?