Player contracts and transfers

David123

Sammon showing tonight what we all knew.....rotten.

If Tommy is going to be given any money, wonder if he may go across the water again. He has been mentioned already on the thread, Dundee Utd were after him but it is difficult to argue against the pedigree of David McMillan.

Let me try:

David McMillan is a British-Australian drug smuggler who is best known for being the only Westerner on record as having successfully escaped Bangkok's Klong Prem prison. Born: April 9, 1956 (age 61)

Don't know why we bother with Irish League players still.

Time and time again we'll get some player who made it in the Irish League, but struggles to cut it here or are very inconsistent. Graham Cummins and Joe the Goal Bottler are no exceptions.

Not to mention that these top Irish teams got booted out the Challenge Cup last season, and even players who have cut it in the Championship against teams who are capable of beating Irish sides, still fail to make the grade up in this league or are also very inconsistent. Chris Kane is no exception either.

Not meaning to be super critical, but past experiences should tell us that we are kidding ourselves on if we think some rejected Irish league goal hero is the answer. I'm not saying there aren't any good Irish league strikers out there who can cut it in this league (There are lots I could mention), but chances are they wouldn't be at Saints if they could.

Players like McMillan on peak form are either good enough to be bought by someone, or shite enough to be released. Sadly, teams with finances like ourselves lie in between that gap and instead try to scavenge whats left of them a few seasons down the line, often unsuccessfully.

Time and time again we'll get some player who made it in the Irish League, but struggles to cut it here or are very inconsistent. Graham Cummins and Joe the Goal Bottler are no exceptions.

Not to mention that these top Irish teams got booted out the Challenge Cup last season, and even players who have cut it in the Championship against teams who are capable of beating Irish sides, still fail to make the grade up in this league or are also very inconsistent. Chris Kane is no exception either.

Not meaning to be super critical, but past experiences should tell us that we are kidding ourselves on if we think some rejected Irish league goal hero is the answer. I'm not saying there aren't any good Irish league strikers out there who can cut it in this league (There are lots I could mention), but chances are they wouldn't be at Saints if they could.

Players like McMillan on peak form are either good enough to be bought by someone, or shite enough to be released. Sadly, teams with finances like ourselves lie in between that gap and instead try to scavenge whats left of them a few seasons down the line, often unsuccessfully.

It's worth a few shite ones if you stumble upon a Boyce. 

It's worth a few shite ones if you stumble upon a Boyce. 

Point taken, although we're no off to a great start though.

Worth noting that County have that spendy happy guy running them, we'd be priced out by the likes of Dundee and themselves if another calibre of player akin to Boyce came about again.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Interested to hear the " lots you could mention"

Please let Tommy know.

Interested to hear the " lots you could mention"

Please let Tommy know.

More so meant those who have come over and done well - Rooney, Boyce etc

Unfortunately, with the current economics in the league, these on form Irish players are out of our reach until they go shite again and are looking for a loan move to revive a non-starter career down South. So unless we can pay fees or significantly bumping up the wage budget for those currently on form (which we all know isn't happening anytime soon), we shouldn't be so focused on former and present Irish league starlets who haven't proven themselves in this league, because we'll either be outpriced by other clubs who see their worth (Storey for example, albeit not Irish) or get another squad player no better than Sammon.

This is the Golden Era for us, how many more seasons is it worth trying to find the next Boyce by recycling folk who are nothing more than proven part timers at best?

Alan Mannus worked out pretty well.

McMillan has done well in league and in Europe.  League of Ireland teams are much better than those from the north.

Good point, but strikers are a different kettle of fish. We cant  push the boat out for players like McMillan, which is why the majority of Irish players coming to us aren't tried and tested in the league and are rejects from down South, or past their days.

I cannot believe our club has zero ambition and not lock in a new signing before the family fun day with Ghostie's salmonela burgers ...

Seriously I have major concerns this year as we are being left behind by our so called equal teams. It could be a battle in the bottom half and we have Patrick next week who had chances against Celtic

Tell you what. Never ever happen but I'd love to see Steve Brown walk into Ibrox and stick £150,000 on the table and take O'halloran permanently.  Rangers would jump at it. It would be a bargain for us and a very valuable asset. 

I'd even sacrifice buying a new striker.

Assuming we could afford his wages og course. 

Tony Watt anyone??

Fairly sure he's headed back to Belgium. 

Tell you what. Never ever happen but I'd love to see Steve Brown walk into Ibrox and stick £150,000 on the table and take O'halloran permanently.  Rangers would jump at it. It would be a bargain for us and a very valuable asset. 

I'd even sacrifice buying a new striker.

Assuming we could afford his wages og course. 

We can't afford him. I think we have to accept he'll only be here for six months. Enjoy it while you can. 

Guest ScottMann

We can't afford him. I think we have to accept he'll only be here for six months. Enjoy it while you can. 

Jeez. We've signed players in the past we supposedly couldn't afford. A lot depends on how keen the selling club are to get rid of the player, how keen he is to come and what pay off deal he gets to help compensate for the drop in wages. Unlikely, perhaps. Impossible, no.