Player contracts and transfers

David123

He was on the bench. I liked Swanson but I struggle to believe signing a 31yo winger who generally takes two months to get up to speed and then leaves at the first opportunity is going to solve any problems for us, I'd actually suggest Scougall could be a longer term solution. 

Still take him back now he knows the grass isint greener, and knows he is loved.

Great player changed games for us,I bet if any of us so called professional footballers on here got the call to play for saints we would can't fault the lad for trying to play for his boyhood team,by the looks of it from recent media events the lad had a very hard time,still performed ,like to see him back

Still take him back now he knows the grass isint greener, and knows he is loved.

He knew the grass was greener after he turned us down to sit in the stands for Hearts. Can fully understand why he chose Hibs since he supports them, but I'd be loathe to hope he returns due to the fact you're never able to plan for more than 6 months of him. 

Guest ScottMann

I see Miles Storey got his first Partick goal yesterday. A quick look shows that since not being signed by Saints this is the only goal Storey, Sammon or Cifti have scored between them in the 22 games they've played in. There's been some bench warming too. Early days admittedly but it doesn't make me think we actually missed out on a jewel after all. 

He knew the grass was greener after he turned us down to sit in the stands for Hearts. Can fully understand why he chose Hibs since he supports them, but I'd be loathe to hope he returns due to the fact you're never able to plan for more than 6 months of him. 

Think he will have learnt his lesson and we could do with him

I'd take Swanson back in a heartbeat.

January could be quite an interesting month as we do have a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season and there's a few that I suspect wont be offered extension/wont sign an extension this time round. We'll also either sign O'Halloran permanently or have his wages to play with too as I can't see his loan being extended. I hope we have a break clause in Denny Johnstone's loan contract. He's absolutely not good enough.

I'd be happy for us to take a chance on the two Irish guys we're being linked to. Certainly looked the part in their Europa League runs.

Players out of contracts;

Alan Mannus

Ben McKenzie

Mark Hurst

Steven Anderson

Ally Gilchrist

Keith Watson

Scott Tanser

Craig Thomson

Blair Alston

Chris Millar

Murray Davidson

Paul Paton

Kyle McClean

Graham Cummins

Steven Maclean

Callum Hendry

Greg Hurst

I've bolded the players I think will be released and the ones in italics are the ones I feel may not extend their contracts (Maclean and Mannus will depend on whether they want to continue playing, the other two may want to try something different. Paton took a pretty big pay cut to come to us and Alston will be disappointed that he's not made more of an impact and may see his future best served by moving on). 10 players, some of whom will be on decent wages for us. It's a lot of players to replace at once, so we may actually see a more active January than we usually do.

I'd take Swanson back in a heartbeat.

January could be quite an interesting month as we do have a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season and there's a few that I suspect wont be offered extension/wont sign an extension this time round. We'll also either sign O'Halloran permanently or have his wages to play with too as I can't see his loan being extended. I hope we have a break clause in Denny Johnstone's loan contract. He's absolutely not good enough.

I'd be happy for us to take a chance on the two Irish guys we're being linked to. Certainly looked the part in their Europa League runs.

Players out of contracts;

Alan Mannus

Ben McKenzie

Mark Hurst

Steven Anderson

Ally Gilchrist

Keith Watson

Scott Tanser

Craig Thomson

Blair Alston

Chris Millar

Murray Davidson

Paul Paton

Kyle McClean

Graham Cummins

Steven Maclean

Callum Hendry

Greg Hurst

I've bolded the players I think will be released and the ones in italics are the ones I feel may not extend their contracts (Maclean and Mannus will depend on whether they want to continue playing, the other two may want to try something different. Paton took a pretty big pay cut to come to us and Alston will be disappointed that he's not made more of an impact and may see his future best served by moving on). 10 players, some of whom will be on decent wages for us. It's a lot of players to replace at once, so we may actually see a more active January than we usually do.

I don't think there's any doubt Mannus will keep playing, he's not that old for a keeper and he's got a WC to look forward to.

I don't think Cummins will go, because he's a striker we can afford who does play as a squad player, though maybe struggles as a starter. I just can see us bringing in  three forwards ahead of him, when we seem to struggle to find any the past few windows.

I think Alston will stay, depending on how the rest of the season goes, and Murray will get another season. But just pure guesswork on my part!

I agree with your overall point though, we might see a higher turnover than we've become accustomed to.

I agree that he probably is Tommy's best striker signing. He's only scored 5 goals since the start of last season and hasn't scored at all this season though. He's a nuisance and has his purposes but I'd rather we gave someone else a go and he's the only one who I can see Tommy releasing. Kane has 3 years on his contract (:roll:) and Macca is always likely to get an offer of an extension and if he wants to carry on playing he's likely to stay with us.

I see Miles Storey got his first Partick goal yesterday. A quick look shows that since not being signed by Saints this is the only goal Storey, Sammon or Cifti have scored between them in the 22 games they've played in. There's been some bench warming too. Early days admittedly but it doesn't make me think we actually missed out on a jewel after all. 

Six points gained by Storey in the last week. Better return than our squad minus MOH.

That post was a bit of a jinx :)

Guest ScottMann

Six points gained by Storey in the last week. Better return than our squad minus MOH.

That post was a bit of a jinx :)

Well if we're measuring things in literal terms, it's only 4 points as they'd have got 2 points without his goals...and how many points did he cost them in the 7 of his games he didn't score in???:P

I say this as someone who likes Cummins but Sammon and Storey are both probably better players. I foolishly expected us to be aiming higher than all three in the summer, instead we've managed to sign someone not even their equal on early evidence. I'd have taken either of the Thistle strikers instead of Cummins (or Kane) but hoped to see a player come in that would reduce the reliance on Cummins. As it is, he's arguably our first choice!

Seems to be regular mentions in the Irish press about David McMillan and Robbie Benson of Dundalk, including again this morning. They have a cup final this weekend so maybe see some movement after that? There used to be a decent number of posters on here from over the water. What's the gen on them?

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1744596/dundalk-boss-stephen-kenny-has-not-given-up-hope-of-keeping-niclas-vemmelund/

Guest ScottMann

I'd also say Storey is better than Cummins and would have been a good replacement for Kane but not as the long awaited 3rd jewel.

Sammon actually has a virtually identical scoring record/games to Cummins since coming back to Scotland last season including 0 this season. We would have just been getting more of the same with him and the last thing we needed was another non-scoring battering ram.