Player contracts and transfers

David123

It's brilliant he's doing well, and exciting to think in a couple of seasons we could have a back line of

Clark

Comrie   Gordon   Kerr    ?

Obviously after we've sold Shaughnessy for a couple of mil.  Would be great to see a few of the young lads emerging in positions further up the park as well, but I'm sure we'll see that over the next season or two.

Could well be on the brink of seeing a talented young team emerge at Saints, something many folk on here have been going on about for ages. A bit of patience required if this turns out to be a bit of a transitional season, might be worth it slightly longer term.

As long as we avoid getting involved in a relegation struggle, obviously. Still confident we've got a good enough squad to avoid getting caught up in that...

Clark 

Gordon Kerr Shaughnessy

Comrie Alston McClean Tanser

Scougall

Kane Hendry

Probably the best side we could put together if only using players 25 and under.

Not as disastrously shite as it could be particularly in goals and defence. Also managed to avoid playing Thomson and Gilchrist who think will leave us next summer.

Clark 

Gordon Kerr Shaughnessy

Scougall

Kane Hendry

Probably the best side we could put together if only using players 25 and under.

Not as disastrously shite as it could be particularly in goals and defence. Also managed to avoid playing Thomson and Gilchrist who think will leave us next summer.

When you think what an under 25 team of ours would have been 3-4 years ago, that's not bad.  The other thing is the amount of first team experience at senior level.  Whether at Saints, or out on loan, only Mclean and Hendry are lacking in first team appearances.

Clark 

Gordon Kerr Shaughnessy

Scougall

Kane Hendry

Kane will sadly be on loan on the bench at Brechin by then. Look at any QOS thread or speak to any fan. He has been pathetically poor for them. He doesn't fully understand how to stay on side and goal return is poor. Certainly not the answer, he is playing for a club way out of his abilities.

Much better promise in other areas - Comrie and Kerr.

It will take a lot of persuading I feel to get McMillan from Dundalk.

Edited by Havana Saint
spelling

Kane will sadly be on loan on the bench at Brechin by then. Look at any QOS thread or speak to any fan. He has been pathetically poor for them. He doesn't fully understand how to stay on side and goal return is poor. Certainly not the answer, he is playing for a club way out of his abilities.

Don't think 'pathetically poor' is what the following 4 quotes from QOS posters on pie and bovril are saying:

Good to hear. At this stage I wonder if we'll even ask for for Kane's to be extended. It doesn't seem to be going well for him. I'd like him to have a decent run of games first which hasn't happened so far.

Chris Kane certainly isn't the solution to St Johnstone's well reported goal drought.  He works hard and links play well enough, but he couldn't score in a barrel of fannys.  He's rightly behind Dobbie, Lyle and Dykes in the pecking order, and to be honest I'd rather see Ross Fergusson given game time ahead of Kane.  I'd rather we developed our own player, than one who likely won't be here beyond January.

Personally I’d keep Kane, aye he’s not scored a great deal but I think he adds something, very good on the ball. He could do with a run of games, but Dobbie and Dykes doing well currently with Tan man being the first option of the bench it’s hard for him to get a look in since his injury. He’s certainly not a bad option to have.

Kane, you can take it or leave it really, he's a handy option to have but he isn't worth bringing back that strange midfield diamond/433 just to accommodate him or get ahead of Dykes/Lyle on form.

Kane is what he is. I don't think he'll quite make it sadly, but he's effectively still got 3 years on his contract. It might be that he spends large chunks of that out on loan, but I think he'll still be a Saints player until that contract expires.

I'll never understand the logic in giving him so long. He might be a relatively cheap option to have, but I think he's a 5 goal a season striker at best.

Guest ScottMann

Kane is what he is. I don't think he'll quite make it sadly, but he's effectively still got 3 years on his contract. It might be that he spends large chunks of that out on loan, but I think he'll still be a Saints player until that contract expires.

I'll never understand the logic in giving him so long. He might be a relatively cheap option to have, but I think he's a 5 goal a season striker at best.

It's obviously good forward thinking by Steve in readiness for the impending relegation he's masterminding. Get relegated, dump the aging highly paid chaps, play the kids and have Kane ready to knock in some goals to keep us in a play off position but not actually getting promoted. More wins, some goals, same home crowds, cheaper players. It's the future.

It's obviously good forward thinking by Steve in readiness for the impending relegation he's masterminding. Get relegated, dump the aging highly paid chaps, play the kids and have Kane ready to knock in some goals to keep us in a play off position but not actually getting promoted. More wins, some goals, same home crowds, cheaper players. It's the future.

Always a controversial view to hold, but I preferred it when we were playing in the first division. For the reasons above and it was cheaper to get into away matches.

Pedro Caixinha liked to talk about the end of footballing cycles. This does feel like the end of this (very successful) cycle. Much like the last time we were in the top flight, the players we're bringing in to replace those leaving aren't of the same quality and we're struggling to compete financially with pretty much everyone else in the league, even if we do have a big cash reserve to play with. The ones that are still here are getting older and older and there's always a fear going into each season that it may be one too far for some. 

I can't see us going down this season, but I do think we will see a big turn around of players next summer.

This could easily happen if this goal drought continues. It is absolutely imperative something happens in the striker department in January. Money has to be made available otherwise we will be relegated. We keep signing midfielders when we have loads but never the extra striker.

What I look forward to in going to a match ( I never miss home games ) is the thought that we will score three or four goals. At the match does it ever look like that is going to happen?

This could easily happen if this goal drought continues. It is absolutely imperative something happens in the striker department in January. Money has to be made available otherwise we will be relegated. We keep signing midfielders when we have loads but never the extra striker.

What I look forward to in going to a match ( I never miss home games ) is the thought that we will score three or four goals. At the match does it ever look like that is going to happen?

Depends if Tommy can find anyone. Must be a reason he had signed so many midfield players but continually failed to get a striker. Sure Brown may play a part but doubt he is the bad guy so easily painted by our support.

It's a strategy we've relied on for years when we don't have an out and out goal scorer. For every Stevie May and Franjinko Sandabedozie we lose, we still have the creative midfielders who can create enough chances for our average strikers to get on the score sheet.

The only difference this year is that our strikers have been absolutely useless in front of goal. It's hard to blame Tommy for relying on the same player recruitment strategy which has seen us grasp top six after top six, Europe after Europe. Let's hope he notices this and recruits someone who's at least going to convert.

At a bare minimum, we need a Miles Storey. No two ways about it. As much as we want a Stevie May, we really need a tapper inner who can inject a bit of creativity into the strike force through picking out space, actually willing to take players on, and is always looking for the perfect opportunity to pull the trigger. Macca is getting ever closer to his pension, Cummings and Kano have fallen short of the bill, and Denny doesn't deserve a look in.

If anything should be held against Tommy, it should be his reluctance to play Hendry. But in terms of the recruitment, you can't blame him for thinking Macca and Cummings were going to be able to kick on again this season.

Only after January will we truly be able to judge Tommy and Steve Brown, but until then, In Tommy and Steve I trust.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

The Johnstone Hendry debate mentioned above, how are we comparing these two, as seen Hendry for ten minutes and Johnstone not much more at first team level anyway (granted he doesn't look great, but coming on as sub to a struggling team isn't easy),  I don;t go to under 20 games so can't compare myself apart from the subs appearance for the first team, but one seems to be the next big thing and the other one is crap, just wondering how all these posters come to this conclusion, as going by what I have seen can't give it a balanced view, also with McLean and Cummins  they are hardly setiing it alight either, do they deserve a look in?.

Johnstone clearly isn't good enough, and literally plays the exact same way as Cummins, but with less work rate. 

Hendry seems closer to MacLean, but has pace. 

I don't see why we don't at least give Hendry a chance, tbh. I still think Macca and Cummins are better than him, but as a third option I don't see any benefit to Johnstone being ahead of Hendry when he's so similar to Cummins. 

Guest ScottMann

I'm amazed Gareth Southgate didn't include Miles Storey in his latest squad given Kane's out. He seems to be some player.

Hendry seemed to get a chance when he first came here. Maybe he just isn't good enough yet.

Guest ScottMann

Hes played eight minutes. 

I must have imagined his goal v Rangers in a first team squad game or reading he got a hat-trick against Doncaster U23s in a first team squad game. Obviously his eight minutes were based on his ability to put the cones out at training.

I must have imagined his goal v Rangers in a first team squad game or reading he got a hat-trick against Doncaster U23s in a first team squad game. Obviously his eight minutes were based on his ability to put the cones out at training.

Ah, so your counting friendlies, in that case I seen Denny Johnstone score from 25 yards, clearly should be first choice 

I think Hendry might be injured. He wasn't in the U20s squad last night and hasn't had a look in at top team level for a while either. 

I don't think there's any adequate excuse for not spending money on the squad over the next couple of windows and will be exceptionally disappointed if we don't. It's clear to everyone that the squad needs freshened up and there's money sitting in the bank and plenty of deadwood out of contract at the end of the season.

We've been linked to Benson and McMillan in January, so we're obviously looking for players. I do hope they're in addition to and not instead of O'Halloran as he is the only player with real pace in the squad.

MOH will be recalled at the end of the year- that's is fact and frankly we're kidding ourselves on that we had a chance to keep him. We got a wee bounce of him coming back at the start of the season but he's not our long term answer.

Kane will be back with us too in January.