Player contracts and transfers

David123

If a player is out of contract, whether it has come to its natural end or whether it has been cancelled mid term by mutual concent and either of these events is out with the transfer window, then if  these players cannot sign and play for another team until the transfer window opens then this denies them employment and hence restrictive. It certainly seems that this is allowable in the world of footie - so Mainstands reference to registering as an amateur looks like a smart solution. just convert the contract to professional when the window opens with salary adjusted to compensate for time spent as an amateur. 

Did Aberdeen not get round this a few years ago by registering a player with them as an amateur. 

That way he was not affected by the transfer deadlines. 

I can't think that's right. You can't play players on amateur contracts in the top flight. 

If a player is out of contract, whether it has come to its natural end or whether it has been cancelled mid term by mutual concent and either of these events is out with the transfer window, then if  these players cannot sign and play for another team until the transfer window opens then this denies them employment and hence restrictive. It certainly seems that this is allowable in the world of footie - so Mainstands reference to registering as an amateur looks like a smart solution. just convert the contract to professional when the window opens with salary adjusted to compensate for time spent as an amateur. 

They can sign for teams and earn a wage, and could play in organised friendlies, they just can't play a competitive game. 

I can't think that's right. You can't play players on amateur contracts in the top flight. 

The rules don't change for the top flight, they are the same rules for all 4 divisions of the SPFL.

Queens Park register all players as amateur. 

Guest ScottMann

The rules don't change for the top flight, they are the same rules for all 4 divisions of the SPFL.

It was in the SPL days but Livi tried to pull this one with Hassan Kachloul and got fined for it even although they'd mucked it up. I'd imagine any loop hole will have been closed after this.

QP being an amateur club may be treated as an exception.

I think there's still some discrepancies between the divisions in terms of rules, although the birth of the SPFL brought everyone closer. 

Queens Park don't have amateurs anymore, they were slammed by the HMRC for offering out £1 a week professional contracts to players. 

Bikey was on an amateur deal, Josh Todd played for a Championship side on the same basis, both were signed within a transfer window though. 

I think there's still some discrepancies between the divisions in terms of rules, although the birth of the SPFL brought everyone closer. 

Queens Park don't have amateurs anymore, they were slammed by the HMRC for offering out £1 a week professional contracts to players. 

Bikey was on an amateur deal, Josh Todd played for a Championship side on the same basis, both were signed within a transfer window though. 

Fair enough.

Fair dues, had no idea that was allowed anymore as they seem to systematically be shutting stuff down. Can no longer play trialists in the Challenge Cup, and apparently emergency loans are ending next season

I don't see Aberdeen at all but their line ups always look totally bizarre and unbalanced, I don't think May's actually had a run of games up front yet, constantly getting shunted around to accommodate Rooney. 

even when Rooney never started the other week he was playing behind Greig Stewart who is never a fwd

I hope Tommy and Steve brown have started contract talks with Muzz shows how important the lad is to saints,is his contact not up in the summer

I'm pretty sure we've got a year option in his contract. I remember him saying at the time that he was happy to extend his stay with us for a further 3 years.

I may be overly confident, but Muzz is one that I can't see moving on now unless he (or we) are made an exceptional offer. He's actually not far away from a testimonial now.

He's tried and failed to get another club in the past. He's now part of the bricks and mortar at saints and frankly the fans love him because of the type of player he is. I can't ever see Davidson lining up against us for another team, I may be wrong, but because he's a notorious injury risk, nobody in Scotland would risk him I don't think. 

He's tried and failed to get another club in the past. He's now part of the bricks and mortar at saints and frankly the fans love him because of the type of player he is. I can't ever see Davidson lining up against us for another team, I may be wrong, but because he's a notorious injury risk, nobody in Scotland would risk him I don't think. 

Unfortunately for Muzz he is his own injury risk but I can't see him changing his style now. He wouldn't be effective if he did.