Player contracts and transfers

David123

Targets for January in our budget ? 

Swanson on loan after Mikey returns to the Rangers, maybe not everyone's favourite,but can be a match winner something we are sadly missing. 

Would he be available on loan is the question , not happening at Hibs - going a mistake on his part.

Some unknown from England on loan , we all hope can do a job will prob be what we get . 

Denny Johnstone back down the road . Replaced by Kane and hopefully McMillan . Will he - won't he sign? 

I think that you can only loan 1 player over the age of 21 per season in the SPFL so that would rule out Swanson

I think that you can only loan 1 player over the age of 21 per season in the SPFL so that would rule out Swanson

It's just one at a time, so O'Halloran leaving frees that space up. 

We're not signing Swanson though, id put my mortgage on that, as it's not form or ability that's keeping him out the Hibs team, and Lennon has acknowledged that. 

It's just one at a time, so O'Halloran leaving frees that space up. 

We're not signing Swanson though, id put my mortgage on that, as it's not form or ability that's keeping him out the Hibs team, and Lennon has acknowledged that. 

Is Danny not injured? there was an article in last weeks papers talking about how he is recovering well and should be available shortly.

Guest ScottMann

We need a hell of a lot more than a 28 year old unproven striker in January.

You're right about this. We really don't know what we're getting, if he does come. He's a bit older than most for leaving N Ireland but I suspect his studies have a part in that. It's no bad thing though as instead of getting a promising youngster it could be said we'd be getting mature, intelligent player, fully ready to handle pastures new and in the best years of his career. 

If he does come I'll obviously judge him on what he does for us but I'm concerned a lot of fans are going to be treating him as the goal scoring messiah finally arriving and he'll solve all of our problems. He's going to be under extreme pressure from the start and if doesn't start scoring straight away he'll quickly be 'another Cummins' and won't be given a proper chance.

Are there any of these we want to keep ?.

Davidson is the only one I'd definitely sign up right now. Anderson, Mannus, Paton and Maclean will almost certainly get offers as will Alston I'd imagine. Anything is possible with regards to the rest. Tanser has not been too bad, but I wouldn't have him in the 'definite keep' list quite yet.

I reiterate what I said about Johnstone previously. Even if he doesn't have a break in his loan contract, I'd tell him to bugger off back to Colchester as he clearly isn't good enough.

I’d offer Davidson and Mannus contracts for definite. 

Paton and Anderson contracts on the basis that they’re back up and squad roles only and we look to improve these areas in the summer. 

Everyone else can go as far as I’m concerned. Id love to keep MacLean around the club if possible, but I’d imagine he’ll want to keep playing as long as he can. The danger is you’re left looking to overhaul a whole squad essentially and that’s difficult, it’s rarely successful either. Motherwell have managed it really well this year, but then again they’re boosted by having a guy like Moult up top. 

Pretty shocked at how quickly people want Anderson moved on after a poorer start to the season, surely years of very strong performances count for something?

As for the rest it very much depends on who else is available. I'd happily let some of them move on if better quality players were available within our budget.

Davidson would be offered a deal, but I hate seeing him and Paton in the side together. For me Paton is a good squad player, but I really want to see us bring in a player who can pass the ball and recycle it if needs be (a Morris/Millar type). Someone that dictates play would make a huge difference to our team.

The obvious positions we need options in is upfront and if that means MacLean has to move on to free up wages alongside Cummins and Johnstone, then so be it. I'd rather it didn't happen, as I feel McLean still has something to offer, but every season has seen a little dip in ability and influence.

Alston is the one I'm pretty gutted about. I was sure their was a future top player in their, but he's probably gone backwards since joining us.

Pretty shocked at how quickly people want Anderson moved on after a poorer start to the season, surely years of very strong performances count for something?

As for the rest it very much depends on who else is available. I'd happily let some of them move on if better quality players were available within our budget.

Davidson would be offered a deal, but I hate seeing him and Paton in the side together. For me Paton is a good squad player, but I really want to see us bring in a player who can pass the ball and recycle it if needs be (a Morris/Millar type). Someone that dictates play would make a huge difference to our team.

The obvious positions we need options in is upfront and if that means MacLean has to move on to free up wages alongside Cummins and Johnstone, then so be it. I'd rather it didn't happen, as I feel McLean still has something to offer, but every season has seen a little dip in ability and influence.

Alston is the one I'm pretty gutted about. I was sure their was a future top player in their, but he's probably gone backwards since joining us.

I like Alston and still think he is quality, he needs a decent run in the team and there in lies our problem in my opinion; there is too much chopping and changing around our midfield and we can all see Muzz and Paton don't gel in the same area. I like Scougal in the middle and Muzz and Alston either side of him.

I like Alston and still think he is quality, he needs a decent run in the team and there in lies our problem in my opinion; there is too much chopping and changing around our midfield and we can all see Muzz and Paton don't gel in the same area. I like Scougal in the middle and Muzz and Alston either side of him.

Worth noting Alston had a run of eight league starts in a row last season, and contributed a huge one goal and one assist in them, I think there was a cup game in there too. 

I don't think a run of games will help him. He's not a right winger, but he's too slow and weak to play central. He won't be a success here. 

I just cannot see what Tommy thought he saw in Scougall to make his big signing because in my opinion ( probably wrong ) he is too small and up to now in all the games I've watched has contributed very little. He is not even a certain starter because with our player problems on Saturday he was still only on the bench. When he came on what did he actually do which improved our game. Nothing.

We need someone in midfield who is a ball winner,who can hold the ball and provide passes to our front men giving them a chance to get away shots from around and in the box. We are not quick enough in getting forward.

I have to disagree. Scougall is a player, we just have to find the right role for him. Give him players running off him and I'm certain you'd see the best of him if played in the middle behind a striker.

I really do think if we play him in the middle with Spoony and MOH either side we could start to see the best of him. He certainly puts in a shift and I really don't see his size being an issue if we can get the ball on the deck more and play some good football..... That requires two central midfielders that will look for the ball and avoid the needless long punts up field!

I just cannot see what Tommy thought he saw in Scougall to make his big signing because in my opinion ( probably wrong ) he is too small and up to now in all the games I've watched has contributed very little. He is not even a certain starter because with our player problems on Saturday he was still only on the bench. When he came on what did he actually do which improved our game. Nothing.

We need someone in midfield who is a ball winner,who can hold the ball and provide passes to our front men giving them a chance to get away shots from around and in the box. We are not quick enough in getting forward.

Scougall is class. He played central against us for Livingston years ago, when he was about 20, and was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. The problem rests solely with TW who has a total unwillingness to play anyone under six foot central. Its embarrassing we've got Scougall and yet we've seen Alston and Liam Craig get more time in the "number ten" role. And it probably highlights why we create so little.

With the five in midfield, I think Scougall can play in any of the three advanced roles but, as touched on, he needs movement ahead of him. MacLean is never going to go in behind and O'Halloran is invariably on the other side of the park. Playing him centrally would obviously overcome that second problem. He probably passes the ball better than anyone else we have but we need to harness that ability.

With the five in midfield, I think Scougall can play in any of the three advanced roles but, as touched on, he needs movement ahead of him. MacLean is never going to go in behind and O'Halloran is invariably on the other side of the park. Playing him centrally would obviously overcome that second problem. He probably passes the ball better than anyone else we have but we need to harness that ability.

You're saddling him with a big responsibility. :wink:

I would say he perhaps has better VISION for a pass than anyone else we have but I’m not sure he is actually the best passer we have, not sure he is even in the top two actually. I think that may influence Tommy’s choice of position/role for him. He is a good ball carrier, has a great first touch and has wonderful vision.... an effective Scottish Premiership CENTRAL midfielder, I’m not so sure. It’s not an easy league to play centre-mid in. Sometimes the most effective in the league for influencing and winning matches, are not always the most technically adept. 

he Needs to build the team around Scougall .. pure quality not being used due to TW panicking he’s in uncharted territory we could be 2nd bottom this week and then what . TW  has a challenge and I truly feel this is  a test of a great manager and believe he will sort it.. 

Mclean , Ando , Muzz , Alston ,Paton  Mannus should have renewed contracts asap 

bye bye Cummings Johnstone, Millar Craig , 

How was Hendry ?

he Needs to build the team around Scougall .. pure quality not being used due to TW panicking he’s in uncharted territory we could be 2nd bottom this week and then what . TW  has a challenge and I truly feel this is  a test of a great manager and believe he will sort it.. 

MacLean, Muzz , Alston ,Millar  Mannus should have renewed contracts if no alternatives found. 

bye bye Cummings Johnstone, Paton, Craig , Ando

How was Hendry?

Fixed that for you. 

I disagree that we lack vision, what I think the issue is that there’s nobody making the runs required for the vision to come to the fore. MacLean, Scougall, Wotherspoon are all capable of picking a pass and unlocking a defence, by when you’ve got nobody making the runs required that’s when the issues occur.