Player contracts and transfers

David123

I disagree that we lack vision, what I think the issue is that there’s nobody making the runs required for the vision to come to the fore. MacLean, Scougall, Wotherspoon are all capable of picking a pass and unlocking a defence, by when you’ve got nobody making the runs required that’s when the issues occur. 

Isn’t having vision being able to make those runs? We are too slow in our attacks compared with most teams, especially if moh is  not playing, even then we don’t get numbers up the park quickly enough 

Isn’t having vision being able to make those runs? We are too slow in our attacks compared with most teams, especially if moh is  not playing, even then we don’t get numbers up the park quickly enough 

Fear factor. Seems they are prone to stay behind the ball.

Have to wonder, Rangers have been rejected by Aberdeen for McInnes. McInnes reportedly has a release clause in his contract. Rangers obviously can't afford the release clause. 

Would now be the time to offer them, say, £250k, up front, paid tomorrow, for MOH so we can sign him permanently in January. Could be enough to get them McInnes, and we'd be getting MOH. 

Feels dirty helping them, but it's an opportunity. 

I think making the runs is more game intelligence and confidence. Our players seem so willing to run beyond their markers instead play in front of them which makes it incredibly easy to defend against. Against killie there was only one ball in behind their defence from open play I can remember and it came from Tanser, so our players are capable. They need to believe that the guys around them are good enough to see if they get free of their marker and are willing to try a riskier pass. I’d descrive saints way of playing lazy and easy tbh. I don’t care if we try a risky pass and it fails, at least we’re trying to break a defence down by taking chances. 

I'd imagine to bring in 4 or 5 we will have to move out 4 or 5.  The  loan deal could well be an extension of MOH loan.  We have some deadwood we NEED to move on - replacements have to be better or at least offer something different though.  

Who do we let go though, unless guys have found new clubs and the other teams are wanting them in January we can’t rewlly afford to be cutting contract short. In an ideal world the following would leave -

Thompson

Craig

Gilchirst

Alston

Johnstone

Mybe send a few youngsters out on loan again, but there’s really not much place for cutting our squad down at all. I suspect we’ll punt Johnstone back and if it was me, I’d probably bring back Jason Kerr and release Gilchrist. If we can keep Kanr out all season then do that. I think if that’s the case we’d need to bring in 2 strikers, 1 driving midfielder and ideallly another senior centreback to maybe allow Kerr to develop. I think I’d also be wanting Hendry out on loan as well, whilst he looks decent and maybe ready for first team football, he’s never going to play enough games for us right now. 

Who do we let go though, unless guys have found new clubs and the other teams are wanting them in January we can’t rewlly afford to be cutting contract short. In an ideal world the following would leave -

Thompson

Craig

Gilchirst

Alston

Johnstone

Mybe send a few youngsters out on loan again, but there’s really not much place for cutting our squad down at all. I suspect we’ll punt Johnstone back and if it was me, I’d probably bring back Jason Kerr and release Gilchrist. If we can keep Kanr out all season then do that. I think if that’s the case we’d need to bring in 2 strikers, 1 driving midfielder and ideallly another senior centreback to maybe allow Kerr to develop. I think I’d also be wanting Hendry out on loan as well, whilst he looks decent and maybe ready for first team football, he’s never going to play enough games for us right now. 

I can't see Craig leaving because he has 18 months left on the deal and Tommy rates Alston so unless he asks to go or we get an offer, I think he'll stay too. I suspect Watson (remember him?) and Millar can be added to your list in their place though.

I actually expect we'll end up having Kane back and Kerr will stay out on loan. Gilchrist hasn't played since the European matches so I'd be alright with him going regardless of anything else. That may leave short at the back, but it's just delaying the inevitable he'll leave whether it's in January or at the end of the season

Johnstone can go. but we may end up stuck with him depending on the terms of his loan though. Agree completely about Thomson. He's never going to be good enough and would be better off trying to forge a career in the lower leagues.

Craig’s got another 18 months. Way to ruin my Fridays Kyle thanks. Here was me thinking he was off at the end of the season.  I’m not sure Wright does trust Alston, I think he’s just so determined that he’s a success he’ll play him out of spite. Truth me told I’d flrgotten about Millar and Watson. Millar may well drop down to play football closer to his home and, rather predictably Watson’s injured again so chances of punting him are slim. I’d hope that there’s a clause in Johnstones loan deal, otherwise we better be paying heehaw for him. 

So he has 2 in mind but if we have a bad December he will sign another 3. Will they be panic signings & a waste of a wage like Johnstone ?.

Guest ScottMann

Yep, my days of getting excited about potential signings have definitely gone. Lets see who finally turns up, signed and probably holding scarf above their heads.

Do we know what Murty thinks of Mikey? It was the now gone manager that didn't rate him. If I was Rangers(perish the thought) or O'Halloran I'd wait and see who was in charge before looking at any further loan away.

Yep, my days of getting excited about potential signings have definitely gone. Lets see who finally turns up, signed and probably holding scarf above their heads.

Do we know what Murty thinks of Mikey? It was the now gone manager that didn't rate him. If I was Rangers(perish the thought) or O'Halloran I'd wait and see who was in charge before looking at any further loan away.

The rangers men don`t like MOH. A quick look on The Bears Den, they already have a we don't want MOH thread back. His Scottish catholic background just sticks in their throats. It could be to our advantage.

Interesting how they said Murty would only be in charge for the "remainder of the year", suggesting they'll bring in a new manager in January. Common sense would make you think he'd return there when his contract expires with us on January 1st, and then it'll be a waiting game to see who takes over.

They do have a Director of Football who's meant to oversee all transfers though, so theres a chance hes decided he doesn't like MOH and is negotiating transfers on his own just now.

Interesting how they said Murty would only be in charge for the "remainder of the year", suggesting they'll bring in a new manager in January. Common sense would make you think he'd return there when his contract expires with us on January 1st, and then it'll be a waiting game to see who takes over.

They do have a Director of Football who's meant to oversee all transfers though, so theres a chance hes decided he doesn't like MOH and is negotiating transfers on his own just now.

Could be an opportunity to extend his loan. I read today that TW was looking at a loan agreement in January.

Haven't seen enough of Gilchrist in u20's or 1st team to have an opinion whether he's good enough to keep or not.

Would be interesting to know how many times, some have seen him play, that they have formed the opinion that he should be punted.

Only asking. 

I think he'll be gone in the Summer, only seen him play in the European games. He looked very, very raw though, and I'm not sure we can afford to let a 22, almost 23, year old centre half learn his trade in our first team. I don't think its any fault of his own, and I hope he can make a career out of it, but his early injuries, which prevented him ever getting a proper run of games at any level has hindered his development.

For what its worth, I hold similar reservations about Liam Gordon. Centre halves only improve by making mistakes and learning from them, Gordon and Gilchrist haven't played 50 senior games, Gordon hasn't even reach 40 yet. One perspective is you say that its too early to judge, my perspective is they currently sit years behind Shaughnessy and Kerr in terms of development.

Shaughnessy joined us at the same age Gordon and Gilchrist are, he had 98 senior games under his belt at that time, 59 of them in the top flight, and I'd still argue he was raw when he arrived. Kerr currently has 88 senior games under his belt at the age of 20. Hes two years younger than both and has twice as much experience. 

Just my opinion. Loaning youngsters out earlier is something I've wished we'd done for years, leaving them to rot on our bench with the odd ten minutes here and there is pointless and harms us and them long term.

Haven't seen enough of Gilchrist in u20's or 1st team to have an opinion whether he's good enough to keep or not.

Would be interesting to know how many times, some have seen him play, that they have formed the opinion that he should be punted.

Only asking. 

Only seen him in friendlies and the Euro games,but always thought he was a bit laboured for a young guy,been 3 years since he first got involved at first team level for us,but I’m not convinced,whilst Gordon looks more capable physically and with ball retention on the deck,but by no means an expert, heard Liam really likes a night out in Perth,which he’ll have to watch,if he wants to make it, be a shame to waste his talents 

Edited by dave mc

They are also currently haemorrhaging money. Having an unpopular Michael Francis O’Halloran off the books and increasing the wage budget for an incoming manager? No brainer for me, O’Halloran loan will be extended.

They are also currently haemorrhaging money. Having an unpopular Michael Francis O’Halloran off the books and increasing the wage budget for an incoming manager? No brainer for me, O’Halloran loan will be extended.

Apologies if this has been discussed before,but how many loanees can you have at one time?

Is there a limit that you can get from teams in the same league?

Apologies if this has been discussed before,but how many loanees can you have at one time?

Is there a limit that you can get from teams in the same league?

I'm sure you're only allowed one loanee over a certain age (can't remember if it's 21 or 23), and I'm sure you're only allowed one from the same division