Player contracts and transfers

David123

First time I saw Craig Thomson (against Hamilton) I thought he was pacey and direct and had real potential.  Every other time I saw him I thought he looked totally out of his depth.  He isn't close to Premiership standard and will probably have a career around League One/lower Championship.  Good luck to him, but better players than him have left Saints and had to make do with lower league football.

14 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I would worry about how long it would take Swanson take to get up to speed. He has not featured much at all.

I think it'll purely be match fitness instead of general fitness though, if that makes sense. 

I was against bringing Swanson back a third time but tbh we need guaranteed quality in our situation and he's the best chance of that. 

Needs must. Swanson fits into our team and we need a player of his ability to replace MOH and to hopefully help us kick on up the table/keep us out of the scrap for the play offs/relegation. It's obviously short term thinking from our point of view, but I doubt we'll get better than him until the end of the season. 

He's great entertainment value too - something MOH provided at times over the last few months and not many others in the squad have in their locker.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think it'll purely be match fitness instead of general fitness though, if that makes sense. 

I was against bringing Swanson back a third time but tbh we need guaranteed quality in our situation and he's the best chance of that. 

I had read a few times that he has been injured - any idea if that was a physical injury or just out due to the court case?

25 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I had read a few times that he has been injured - any idea if that was a physical injury or just out due to the court case?

Bit of both by all accounts. He was definitely injured, but has been back training and has been on the Hibs bench in recent weeks which suggests he’s back for, just not able to get a look in. 

Hibs and seem to want him to get a chance in their team, as when he’s played he’s shown what he can do and scored a few goals, I think it’s a case of Lennon’s preferred system not suiting him at all and he can’t find a place for him within the team. 

Not impressed with some of the stuff Swanson has said in the past, but despite all that I'd take him back as he's a quality player and that's what we need to replace O'Halloran and get ourselves a top 6 place. I think he's probably unlikely to hit the ground running (is he carrying a bit of extra weight these days? looks like it in the last few photos I've seen of him) but we all know what he's capable of once he's fit.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Robert Thomson saying he would've renewed his deal with us if it had been offered before Hibs interest. 

I'd take anything that was said around that time with a pinch of salt. Danny wanted to go to his boyhood team and be close to his family and friends. Can't blame the laddie for trying it out, it may still work out for him too.

Decent player so I'd take him back.

1 minute ago, blueheaven said:

Not impressed with some of the stuff Swanson has said in the past, but despite all that I'd take him back as he's a quality player and that's what we need to replace O'Halloran and get ourselves a top 6 place. I think he's probably unlikely to hit the ground running (is he carrying a bit of extra weight these days? looks like it in the last few photos I've seen of him) but we all know what he's capable of once he's fit.

I think he might need a game or two, but if we get the Swanson back that left, then I’d take him back. The reality is we cannot compete with bigger clubs for the wages to keep the likes of him or MOH. We really need to develop our own and make good money on them.

Swanson will do us until the summer, then we get MOH back on loan and then Swanson again and then...

7 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Swanson can get to ****, has taken the absolute piss.

Exactly Shaggy,same old same old,reasonably skilled players keeping Saints in their back pockets as a fall back option when they don’t cut it somewhere else.

Come on Saints we’re going back over the same ground papering over the cracks until summer kidding ourselves on there will be better options then,there may well be more options then but it’s doubtful Saints would be able to lour to Perth the ones that will make a difference.

Prety underwhelmed at the possibility of this loan deal.

7 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Swanson can get to ****, has taken the absolute piss.

2 hours ago, saint_markperth said:

Patching over the cracks with an old plaster ..................

11 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

Exactly Shaggy,same old same old,reasonably skilled players keeping Saints in their back pockets as a fall back option when they don’t cut it somewhere else.

Come on Saints we’re going back over the same ground papering over the cracks until summer kidding ourselves on there will be better options then,there may well be more options then but it’s doubtful Saints would be able to lour to Perth the ones that will make a difference.

I see what you're all saying, but all the time we have employed Danny Swanson he has given 100% and delivered on the park, even when he knew he would be leaving.  We've lacked goals and creativity, and at times entertainment this season so far, and he brings all of those.

I'd prefer he didn't keep going elsewhere, but that's just modern football unfortunately. Players will move around to make as much money for their agents as possible. He's no different from most others in that respect.

And the prospect of seeing him and Scougall in the same team is quite appealing to be honest.

1 hour ago, Saline Saint said:

...but we'll have that usual struggle to attract good players in the summer regardless of whether or not we sign Swanson now, so surely it's better to get him than to not? No matter what happens in the coming summer, we still have half of this season to go and there's still loads to play for so a good signing on a short term deal is better than no signing at all.