Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann
13 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

We moan when there are no rumours about signing coming out of the club and we moan when there are 

Some do. Some don't. Some have said all along they'd just prefer some general comment that they were actively trying to bring players in then announce it when an actual signing happens. That'd save total egg on the face situations like this one.

Some idiots feel Saints should be giving them minute by minute updates on everything going on as they believe what appears in the media is all that actually happens. At least that'd reduce the horrendous amount of made up crap and drivel spouted by attention seekers and the gullible. 

What worries me is not all the fake, hopeful, wishful thinking, praying for any, type of news regarding players. It's the fact that something has changed with regards to the club, something fundamental, and I don't know what, is it Steve Brown or is it Tommy? In years gone by we attracted players of quality, some on the way down like Jodi and Dubbs who still had more than enough quality for this league and Sandaza traveling through countries. What worries me now is that even sh1t players don't want to come and sign for us, WHY? what's changed? What's happened with Saints in the run of the best sustained period of success the club has ever seen? 

24 minutes ago, sainties sheep said:

What worries me is not all the fake, hopeful, wishful thinking, praying for any, type of news regarding players. It's the fact that something has changed with regards to the club, something fundamental, and I don't know what, is it Steve Brown or is it Tommy? In years gone by we attracted players of quality, some on the way down like Jodi and Dubbs who still had more than enough quality for this league and Sandaza traveling through countries. What worries me now is that even sh1t players don't want to come and sign for us, WHY? what's changed? What's happened with Saints in the run of the best sustained period of success the club has ever seen? 

Managers Network and contacts then and now difference could be the reason.

What was the scouting network then and now.

Must be some ex Saints players out there who could give opinion on potential players and file reports on them.

14 hours ago, sainties sheep said:

Scougall falls right into that category .. 

We will always have to try and do special negotions with players of that category however you’ve mentioned  4 players in how many years things haven’t changed just the grind of a provincial team in the premier 

On 21/03/2018 at 6:11 PM, ScottMann said:

This is one reason we should shut up until a deal is done. An embarrassing little episode.

I'm not sure we have control of that though. Agents use the media all the time to get a better deal for their player.

The agent may well have told TW that McGowan is available are you interested?  TW says yes. Agent tells media Saints are after McGowan, media ask Tommy is it true, he confirms he is interested in talking to player, then it's all over the papers we're after him.  Agent goes back to Dundee and forces their hand into a better deal for his player, job done.

Happens all the time, no big deal.

Quite right TW is interested in an available midfielder we could afford who would enhance our squad.

Guest ScottMann
2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm not sure we have control of that though. Agents use the media all the time to get a better deal for their player.

The agent may well have told TW that McGowan is available are you interested?  TW says yes. Agent tells media Saints are after McGowan, media ask Tommy is it true, he confirms he is interested in talking to player, then it's all over the papers we're after him.  Agent goes back to Dundee and forces their hand into a better deal for his player, job done.

Happens all the time, no big deal.

Quite right TW is interested in an available midfielder we could afford who would enhance our squad.

Tommy's experienced enough to know how the media and agents play the game. He'll have doubtless used it in reverse. All he needed to say to any media hack was the usual non-committal stuff we see often enough such as I'm interested in any quality player, I'm only interested in getting into the top six at the moment,  I'm only interested in next week's game against Hamilton. If the agent directly comes out with it that's different. It was very easily avoided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43544816

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright insists he has "other options" after missing out on signing Dundee midfielder Paul McGowan.

McGowan, 30, last week signed a new one-year deal at Dens Park, having entered the final few months of his contract.

Saints had sought permission to speak to the former Celtic player.

"I'm never disappointed," said Wright, whose side host Hamilton Academical on Wednesday evening.

"We're in for a lot of players at the minute and there are ones that have fallen away that don't make the press, so I can't lose sleep over not getting players.

"Players make decisions all the time. Some reach the press and some don't. I just move on to the next one. There are other options out there.

"Ultimately, when you are signing somebody, if you get them that means they want to be here."

35 minutes ago, tucker said:

McMillan got a sore one, probably being very cautious due to head injury,lad looked positive in his only appearance, should be a great addition to the squad, think we might see him and Easton back in sum capicity against Hamilton

According to Tommy in the Courier, Foster probably ready for game after Hamilton. Easton doing training and McMillan is hopefully going to feature before end of season. Think it was in todays Courier. I think McMillan will be a good addition for us.

Wednesday will be too early for Richard Foster but he will definitely be in the squad for Saturday.

“Callum Hendry has returned to full training but will need a few more days on the pitch before he would be considered.

“Brian Easton is now pain-free and has settled down. We just need to increase his workload now.

“Stefan Scougall is doing really well and David McMillan has been able to do a bit of running.

“We have the view that he will be a couple of weeks away. It has been a tough time for us in terms of injuries.