Player contracts and transfers

David123

22 minutes ago, Center Half said:

What signings have you heard Random? 

I've no idea who's coming in tbh, not ITK in the slightest. 

Fwiw two ITK posters on P&B have posted about the deals. One says that both players are based down South, and the other referenced Clark Robertson as the type of player they'd like to be signed. He's a 24yo Centre half who looks likely to win Blackpools POTY award this season. 

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I've no idea who's coming in tbh, not ITK in the slightest. 

Fwiw two ITK posters on P&B have posted about the deals. One says that both players are based down South, and the other referenced Clark Robertson as the type of player they'd like to be signed. He's a 24yo Centre half who looks likely to win Blackpools POTY award this season. 

Could we afford Robertson? A transfer fee & his wages are most likely high for us. Would be surprised, but you never know...

Good news!!

“Looking towards next season, there will be changes to the squad. That is inevitable. But there won’t be eight or nine. That’s not what we need.

“I am looking for four, maybe five players, to come in and improve what is already a good squad.”

We don’t need a clear out or an overhaul, just a couple of quality signings to complement a good core squad.

I think 5 is probably about right.

Goalkeeper, 1 or 2 centre mids, 1 or 2 wingers, striker.

The numbers might increase depending on who signs contract extensions and who doesn't. At least two 35 year olds departing and possibly 3 so I'd imagine at least one of the signings will be an experienced head.

The goalkeeper situation will be interesting. Surely they won't give Mark Hurst another contract at coming up for 23 if he isn't going to even be second choice? Equally, I'm not sure Ben Mackenzie at 20 will be viewed at that level yet. So what happens with Hurst will probably give an indication of whether a new goalkeeper is required.

I'm not completely sold on Clark and it's certainly a risk to run with just him as an experienced goalkeeper but equally, with a tight budget, is the best use of funds a guy that might not even be needed, e.g. Jonny Tuffey a few years ago?

I'd be surprised if we bring in a goalkeeper to play ahead of Clark. Clark needs to be establishing himself as first choice now - it's going to be a big season for him. Perhaps if need be we'll bring in a jobbing back-up keeper like we did with Tuffey or Banks in the past, but if Clark starts the season as second choice to someone else, after biding his time with Mannus, then I'd expect him to be looking to move on.

Weirdly, after all this time of saying we need younger players, I think we could do with bringing in a bit of experience, especially in defence. A commanding centre-half in the Duberry/Wright/Kernaghan mould would make a big difference to us I think, but no idea who that would be. Plus one winger (Williams? O'Halloran?) and one striker. Hard to say what we need in midfield without knowing the futures of Davidson, Millar and Tanser. I'd be happy to see Scougall given Millar's role if he goes.

Anyone think there's any chance of us going in for Dorley?

41 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Why are folk calling for a new goalie on the back of Zander apparently having one bad game? I thought we had a production line of Braw goalies and, anyway, needed to give yoof a chance?

Because we're losing one goalkeeper and the other two who might fill the number 2 spot are out of contract in the summer. Hurst lost his place on loan at East Fife and McKenzie is still young so I'm not sure we're in a particularly great position if Clark were to get injured or lose form.

Tommy may agree with you but I think it's a gamble not to have someone with a bit more experience on the books.

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

Clark should be first choice, signing another keeper would be a waste. It might be possible to sign another youth player as a stand-in though.

I'd be worried about that. County this season prove that even a good team can face relegation if they've got an awful keeper. 

Would you be comfortable with McKenzie/Hurst/untested youth keeper playing ten games a season? 

Ideally you find a Steve Banks, who'll be happy to sit on the bench and coach youngsters, and is capable of stepping in.