Player contracts and transfers

David123

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Unofficial Twitter says Clark will be first choice until the final game, and then Mannus will come in as a farewell. 

Scougall will be in the squad tomorrow, with Hendry and McMillan expected to miss out, but to be fine for the Motherwell game. 

Mabey give a start to young Robertson up front in this one tomorrow then, change it to the set up at Dens later on if he needs to go off, if McMillan is going to be fit for the well game you would imagine he will get most game time until the end of the season,  if fit enough of course.      

In fairness to @RandomGuy on this occasion, Ross County have had a hell of a goalkeeping errors this season. I think there is an argument they'd be well clear of the bottom if they'd had a more reliable figure between the sticks.

Cameron Thomson plays left back for the U20s and has had some first team experience at Stirling Albion. @HOODLUM65 will know if he's ready to step up to the first team squad. He'll be out of contract this summer. I know he's not had the best season but Foster is capable of playing at left back, he was doing well at Celtic Park before his injury. I think we are covered there.

The goalkeeping situation is more interesting as will TW be looking for experienced cover or someone to really push Clark? With our budget, can we really afford the latter but then you go back to the comments about Ross County...

4 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

In fairness to @RandomGuy on this occasion, Ross County have had a hell of a goalkeeping errors this season. I think there is an argument they'd be well clear of the bottom if they'd had a more reliable figure between the sticks.

Cameron Thomson plays left back for the U20s and has had some first team experience at Stirling Albion. @HOODLUM65 will know if he's ready to step up to the first team squad. He'll be out of contract this summer. I know he's not had the best season but Foster is capable of playing at left back, he was doing well at Celtic Park before his injury. I think we are covered there.

The goalkeeping situation is more interesting as will TW be looking for experienced cover or someone to really push Clark? With our budget, can we really afford the latter but then you go back to the comments about Ross County...

Been at 2 County games this season.  The 2-0 in Perth they were awful, comfortably the worst opposition I've seen Saints face this season.  The 1-1 in Dingwall they needed a very dodgy pen and were again very poor.  I appreciate the 2nd goal in Perth could be seen as a keeper error but Saints would still have won.

A better keeper would help them, but I don't think the would be "well clear" of the bottom in that case.  Outfield they have been very poor,.

There are however one or two of their players who I believe would do a good job for Saints.  Naismith and Schalk would be the obvious ones for me.

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Easton will be back for next season

I hope so . He has missed a big chunk of this season & we were told a few times he was due back but it didn't happen.

Hopefully Cameron Thomson will be ready but not sure if he got much game time at Stirling but may have been injured..

34 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Sorry, don't think so.

How many times have you see him play, cause that's what counts.

Seen him in a few televised games. Good in the air in both boxes.

Think he would be a good fit but was hoping Gordon would get a chance & grab it.

Should have read" Thomas O'Ware.

Edited by Cagey

I must admit I share the concerns about Williams. The thunderous punts from Clark up the park - Never once did he make a realistic attempt to head the ball. Might need somebody to play off or be used in a different role. Wouldn' t be looking to break the bank for him moneywise on his displays so far. Willock is raw  but could be developed.

Edited by Bruno Strasser

6 hours ago, 541ntees said:

i know a lot of fans dont like us loaning from other prem clubs but surely celtic have a few players worth looking at- Christie/GMS/Hayes/Morgan/Aitchison/Johnston

GMS is contracted to Aberdeen. If Christie was allowed to leave he’d go there permanently too. No way Hayes would sign for us. Morgan has only just arrived at Celtic, would they let him out on loan?

The last 2 are possibilities, but unless you use a loan as an extended trial (as with Williams), I don’t think they help us very much.

We need to be trying to sign players from the clubs directly below us to weaken our opponents for next season. It’s a key tactic in the fight against relegation.

Not at the game yesterday so can't comment but I have a real fear going into next season with the same defenders in place. A lot of talk about 4 or 5 new players coming in for midfield and up front but defensively we have been honking all season. I do not like the Ando/Shaughnessy pairing, accident waiting to happen in each game. Would love to see a commanding central defender brought in because we really lack leadership and presence in the back line. 

7 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

I must admit I share the concerns about Williams. The thunderous punts from Clark up the park - Never once did he make a realistic attempt to head the ball. Might need somebody to play off or be used in a different role. Wouldn' t be looking to break the bank for him moneywise on his displays so far. Willock is raw  but could be developed.

Are you honestly having a go at Williams for not challenging for headers against folk twice the size of him? 

He tried a few times, yesterday and last week, but what's the point? He's never going to win it. 

Shelling balls up to Maclean and Williams is a complete waste of time and just hands the ball back to the opposition. Considering we still thump the ball straight out for a throw in at kick off though, maybe that tactics not a surprise. 

Edited by RandomGuy

Just now, RandomGuy said:

Are you honestly having a go at Williams for not challenging for headers against folk twice the size of him? 

He tried a few times, yesterday and last week, but what's the point? He's never going to win it. 

Shelling balls up to Maclean and Williams is a complete waste of time and just hands the ball back to the opposition. Considering we still thump the ball straight out for a throw in at kick off though, maybe that's not a surprise. 

This. If we were to get Williams we would certainly need to play into feet with him and Scougall, a change in style that is badly needed imo. Zander would have to pick and choose when to use his long throws and kicks which is a good thing as well. The football has been dire this season, especially when you see the style that the likes of Killie and Hibs are using, that's not beyond us. Few tweaks to the budget and that's what we should be emulating. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Michael O'Halloran spotted in the tunnel after the Old Firm game today shaking hands with every Celtic player. 

I assume that's the final nail in his coffin at Rangers tbh. 

Hopefully their desperation to get rid makes him cheap. 

I think he'd be on the radar of Aberdeen & Hearts (& perhaps Hibs too). We're unlikely to get a chance.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Michael O'Halloran spotted in the tunnel after the Old Firm game today shaking hands with every Celtic player. 

I assume that's the final nail in his coffin at Rangers tbh. 

Hopefully their desperation to get rid makes him cheap. 

I am sure you could start a war in an empty house.

If it is the handshake that was on the Tele. Actually he shook hands with Brendan Rodgers who went over to speak to him and another rangers player. 

They just came out of the changing room and the Celtic squad were already out on the pitch. :laugh: