Player contracts and transfers

David123

Give Scougall movement around him and his ability would be obvious. I genuinely think hes the most talented player we've got on our books - whilst he didn't hit the heights we all hoped for there is a very creative player in there if given the right surroundings.

What impressed me the most about Scougall last season was that he was being played out of position, clearly didn't have too much movement for him to create for and yet showed a fantastic attitude, constantly trying to win the ball when not in possession and never being overly critical of his team mates when they didn't make the movement he was looking for.

The midfield needs to be built around Murray & Scougall, with a hard tackling centre midfielder to come alongside Murray:

McMillan

Left Winger                          Scougall                             Drey Wright

Davidson                      Centre Mid

20 hours ago, SlickDT said:

I'm not overly bothered about whether Williams joins us or not. Whilst he's clearly got some quality- his end product never amazed me.

I'd much rather we found a formation and system that allows Scougall to play in a central role next season.

Scougall's end product hasn't been up to much either.  Whether he's playing out of position or not (and I completely agree he should be played more central) as one of our higher earners I expected more from him.

As regards MOH and Swanson, I'd be delighted to take either back.  They are players who affect games.

I thought the wing backs formation worked better, but as he's signed one winger & is looking for another, I assumed that it's not a formation he's going to stick with. He hasn't talked about signing more centre-backs, which is what we'd need if we're going to play 3 at the back.

25 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm worried about the lack of an experienced centre-back in Tommy's transfer plans. I reckon we need one.

I'd be happy to start next season with Tanser as our left winger.

Anderson, Shaughnessy has about 150 games for us too. 

That sounds awful. I completely disagree with this "good attacking full back = good winger" theory that's popping up everywhere. 

Guest ScottMann

Tommy's obviously changing to a more Klopp style for next season. Sod the defence as we'll just score at least one more than you.

Well, possibly.

I really don't know what Tommy has in mind for the defence next season.Was the three a way to get Kerr and to a lesser extent Gordon game time ? Was it to ease Kerr in without exposing him in a two before he was ready ? I think there is a distinct possibility that Comrie will go out on loan to a championship club with Joe as back up for Foster.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm worried about the lack of an experienced centre-back in Tommy's transfer plans. I reckon we need one.

I'd be happy to start next season with Tanser as our left winger.

Totally agree a lot of the problem this season has been the defence and how poor it has been, need another centre half to partner Kerr as ando and Joe have been where a lot of the goals conceded have come from. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Anderson, Shaughnessy has about 150 games for us too. 

That sounds awful. I completely disagree with this "good attacking full back = good winger" theory that's popping up everywhere. 

Or possibly he has looked at the attributes of the player in question and like myself believes that Tanser as as individual could be effective in a further forward role!?

Every situation is different, Gareth Bale's move from attacking full-back seemed to work out well enough.

35 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Or possibly he has looked at the attributes of the player in question and like myself believes that Tanser as as individual could be effective in a further forward role!?

Every situation is different, Gareth Bale's move from attacking full-back seemed to work out well enough.

Naw. We've nae chance of getting Bale.:wink:

9 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Maybe. Bales a one off specimen, and probably the reason everyone seems to assume its a natural move though. I think Tanser would struggle when hes forced to take balls in with his back to goal, when he's forced infield, when hes up against a full back who's quicker than him and he has to rely on something more than pace. Half his crosses come from a deeper position, that vanishes when you're the out and out winger. 

No doubt I'm wrong, though. 

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Maybe. Bales a one off specimen, and probably the reason everyone seems to assume its a natural move though. I think Tanser would struggle when hes forced to take balls in with his back to goal, when he's forced infield, when hes up against a full back who's quicker than him and he has to rely on something more than pace. Half his crosses come from a deeper position, that vanishes when you're the out and out winger. 

No doubt I'm wrong, though. 

I think there’s an element of that, but playing where he does Tanser is coming up against fullbacks already and is actually beating them with a bit of skill and ability regularly. His crossing is also better from a deeper position and he deserves a goal or two from his play this season, so gets in the right spots to shoot. 

I agree he’s a better fullback, but I think he’d be alright on the left, certainly no worse than Liam Craig and with more pace. 

19 hours ago, Linky said:

The midfield needs to be built around Murray & Scougall, with a hard tackling centre midfielder to come alongside Murray:

McMillan

Left Winger                          Scougall                             Drey Wright

Davidson                      Centre Mid

Murray Davidson is our hard tackling centre mid, what we need is someone similar to Chris Millar's playing style. Someone with the ability to put their foot on the ball under pressure and find a pass to link up the play between defense and attack. With out this we constantly resort to lumping it forward from the back and hoping for the best, which never comes off for us.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I think there’s an element of that, but playing where he does Tanser is coming up against fullbacks already and is actually beating them with a bit of skill and ability regularly. His crossing is also better from a deeper position and he deserves a goal or two from his play this season, so gets in the right spots to shoot. 

I agree he’s a better fullback, but I think he’d be alright on the left, certainly no worse than Liam Craig and with more pace. 

I actually think he is a better wingback than a defender.

13 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I really don't know what Tommy has in mind for the defence next season.Was the three a way to get Kerr and to a lesser extent Gordon game time ? Was it to ease Kerr in without exposing him in a two before he was ready ? I think there is a distinct possibility that Comrie will go out on loan to a championship club with Joe as back up for Foster.

I don't think Foster or Comrie will be our starting right back next season. I think we'll look to bring someone a bit more reliable than either of them. 

27 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I don't think Foster or Comrie will be our starting right back next season. I think we'll look to bring someone a bit more reliable than either of them. 

Foster is a loon but was one of the top 3 crossers in the league this season - Based on McMillan liking a header then this may be one of our main routes to goal next seaspn

24 minutes ago, TheMarkChristie said:

Foster is a loon but was one of the top 3 crossers in the league this season - Based on McMillan liking a header then this may be one of our main routes to goal next seaspn

I agree but I think we might change it. I liked his competitiveness but his 5 second breakdown at Hamilton changed my mind. Totally lost the head at a nothing moment in a nothing game.