Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

No but I would like a chairman who backs our manager a bit more  and   is not tighter than tight can be ALL the time.. And before you start , I am not talking  spending money we do not have, just spending some of the money we DO have..

Probably need the money to cover any losses made due to the poor attendances we get.

Before you suggest it I do not think splashing the cash on a marquee signing would create larger crowds.

Whilst there have been journalistic reports that TW does not always get backed by SB, we are not privy to their meetings and discussions so therefore do not know the facts.

The manager has obviously been given a budget and how that is utilised and on what players will be his call, so do not think the chairman can always be the fall guy.

I love it how every close season we go through this same panic. 

The club are probably speak to and make offers to 2 or 3 players for every one that they sign

When you are in the transfer market up against teams that are making combined losses of 7 million and are far from spending within their means then you are going to struggle.

It would be great did splash the cash but can't see it happening.

Has templeton signed for hearts yet @randomguy? Just wondering if still an option. 

Guest ScottMann
5 hours ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

Saints  never  made an offer to Williams.

Any idea why not? Tommy was vocal a few weeks ago about wanting him so I'm surprised to hear this. 

Lawless being linked with Dunfermline.

Looks like we can't compete with Forrest Green or Dunfermline.

It may be that we have shown no interest in them but if not why not ?.

I can't think of who we ARE going to go for but those 2 were top of my list. 

There is no one else I can think of that we could sign.

59 minutes ago, Cagey said:

It may be that we have shown no interest in them but if not why not ?.

I can't think of who we ARE going to go for but those 2 were top of my list. 

There is no one else I can think of that we could sign.

Lawless couldnt get a game for a poor jags team Tommy wants guys who are better than what we have to improve the team

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Seems like a pretty huge leap of logic to go from "player is being linked with Dunfermline" to "looks like we can't compete with Dunfermline".

23 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I don't really get this aversion to re-signing former players.. 

One Poster,a few weeks ago, made an unsubstantiated claim that Lawless was about to sign for us..And now it appears that we may have again lost out on a player that we had no interest  in signing in the first place..I blame Broon :roll:

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

9 hours ago, 541ntees said:

Lawless couldnt get a game for a poor jags team Tommy wants guys who are better than what we have to improve the team

Some might say that if Archibald had played him & Doolan,they might not have got relegated.

I hope Tommy does get guys that can improve the team. Not going to hold my breath.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Seems like a pretty huge leap of logic to go from "player is being linked with Dunfermline" to "looks like we can't compete with Dunfermline".

Yeah,sheer frustration at lack of communication with fans.

Not expecting targets to be named but some confirmation someone is interested.

I know we don't have Europe to take our attention but surely they can give us some drivel to discuss,like friendlies etc.

For all people can moan about the lack of transfer news or indeed news at all. The likes of Kilmarnock haven’t done anything either, even Hibs who start back in Europe way before we’re back haven’t signed anyone or indeed even been linked with anyone. For once the management and staff at saints actually get an extended break this season and as far as I’m concerned they’ve earned it. Just cause they’re away doesn’t mean we won’t be active in the market, it just means that everyone else is also on holiday. Folk need to relax and realise saints aren’t going to tell people everything, especially with skeleton staff right now and anyway the World Cup starts today, that’ll keep everyone amused. 

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah,sheer frustration at lack of communication with fans.

Not expecting targets to be named but some confirmation someone is interested.

I know we don't have Europe to take our attention but surely they can give us some drivel to discuss,like friendlies etc.

We've got a friendly in Austria on 30th June, against some Croatian team. 

Not that the club has even mentioned it yet, of course. 

35 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I obviously have no proof. But an educated guess would be that the reason that we did not offer him a contract was that after speaking to his agent we found out that the money he was wanting was way out of our budget 

Far, far, far too sensible.

Guest ScottMann
2 hours ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

I have no idea why no,t but if I was a guessing man, I would perhaps think that the chairman had something to do with it. ;-)

Ok thanks. I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't at least give someone we were genuinely interested in some sort of offer even if it was in the style of 'if you don't get what you want elsewhere there's always this', no matter how unlikely it may seem. I'm a great believer in if you don't ask! Cheers.

5 hours ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

I have no idea why no,t but if I was a guessing man, I would perhaps think that the chairman had something to do with it. ;-)

Are you saying they never made him an offer or never spoke to his agent and him?

He does say on his interview that I saw that he ahd other offers form Clubs but decided Forest Green was the ideal choice after meeting the manager and chairman.

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

The last comments I saw from the manager on Williams were quite non-commital, he said the player was keen to come back but that we'd have to "wait and see" what happened. He sounded more eager to get Willock back.

Willock is a better player in my opinion. I'd love to see him back.

Williams to me is one of those guys who seem to have all the ability in the world but absolutely no composure near the goal. We have enough of them already. 

Edited by Broon

Seen a few reports that Dundee United are potentially going to try and sign Adam Rooney. If he was available I would love saints to pursue him. He is a classic poacher who gets you goals. Its a type of player we have been lacking. Macca would always go looking for the ball and half the time was either out on the wing or well in his own half.