Player contracts and transfers

David123

St Johnstone coach Paul Mathers will snub Jack Ross’ Sunderland and is poised to sign new deal with Saints:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2822690/st-johnstone-paul-mathers-jack-ross-sunderland/

"Saints boss Tommy Wright slammed new Black Cats gaffer Jack Ross for tapping up his goalkeeping coach.

But Mather has now told the Perth club he’s staying put and is poised to sign a new deal.

Wright, who is set to lose No2 Callum Davidson to Stoke in the next few days, said: “Paul has told me he is staying, which is great news.

“He is an excellent coach and someone we didn’t want to lose. We had a good chat and there is an agreement for him to sign a new contract.

“He has been very good for our goalkeepers, both Alan Mannus and Zander Clark have been excellent in the last few years."

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

St Johnstone coach Paul Mathers will snub Jack Ross’ Sunderland and is poised to sign new deal with Saints:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2822690/st-johnstone-paul-mathers-jack-ross-sunderland/

"Saints boss Tommy Wright slammed new Black Cats gaffer Jack Ross for tapping up his goalkeeping coach.

But Mather has now told the Perth club he’s staying put and is poised to sign a new deal.

Wright, who is set to lose No2 Callum Davidson to Stoke in the next few days, said: “Paul has told me he is staying, which is great news.

“He is an excellent coach and someone we didn’t want to lose. We had a good chat and there is an agreement for him to sign a new contract.

“He has been very good for our goalkeepers, both Alan Mannus and Zander Clark have been excellent in the last few years."

Is that why Zander is slower with his distribution to set up attacks than he used to and also not commanding his box like he did??  

Have these been coached out of him?

Guest ScottMann
6 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Goals against column would suggest otherwise.

Hopefully if or when there is a new Assistant Manager he will sort this out 

I would think that when the manager is an ex-international keeper and the highly thought after goalkeeping coach has just signed a new contract nothing will change regarding the role of the keeper.  I'm not a great fan of the trend for keepers to stay on their line but think that's what going to happen.

Guest ScottMann
3 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Seem to remember something said when he retired. Nothing I can trace and thought it strange at the time because of others.ie do you retire 7? No obviously not.

I don't agree with retiring a number but if Saints were ever to do it I'd go for 17 as the whole set of circumstances behind May 17,  the history and emotion of the occasion can simply never be repeated and are worthy of every tribute going.

12 minutes ago, jhq said:

What have Dundee United got to do with it?

Tommy confirmed that Dundee United approached Saints first about Mathers;

“He agreed a new contract 10 days ago after interest from Dundee United, who acted with total professionalism.”

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

“He agreed a new contract 10 days ago after interest from Dundee United, who acted with total professionalism.”

Ah. Hadn't realised United had tried for him as well.  

On 22/06/2018 at 1:47 PM, Kyle said:

Maybe his new contract has got something to do with clammy maybe going. 

Despite the number 2 shirt being left vacant, I can't see a defender coming in. The manager has been open about what he's looking for: a goalkeeper, a wide left player, a central midfielder and a striker. The wide left is the priority he's said and will presumably take number 11, the goalkeeper will get number 12 and the other two will fill in down the order.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a couple of signings announced before the players head to Austria. That's not meant to be cryptic or any ITK nonsense, just a gut feeling.

3 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Despite the number 2 shirt being left vacant, I can't see a defender coming in. The manager has been open about what he's looking for: a goalkeeper, a wide left player, a central midfielder and a striker. The wide left is the priority he's said and will presumably take number 11, the goalkeeper will get number 12 and the other two will fill in down the order.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a couple of signings announced before the players head to Austria. That's not meant to be cryptic or any ITK nonsense, just a gut feeling.

I had heard from someone who is normally pretty reliable that one deal had definately been done but the player was still contracted until the end of this month.

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

When do they leave for Austria? 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

When do they leave for Austria? 

First couple of days last year was for fitness testing then they went to large for week before then heading to st Andrews. 

Given that they are suppose to be playing a croation side in Austria on Saturday would suspect they would be heading out midweek.

Edited by mainstand

7 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

A few people have thrown around a Stevie May on loan rumor, noticed this yesterday - https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/derek-mcinnes-expects-stevie-may-to-shine-for-aberdeen-this-season/

"Derek McInnes expects Stevie May to shine for Aberdeen this season"

Also "“Adam is part of my plans – absolutely,” he said."

This continual people expecting May to come back is tiresome! He's gone we had the best of him now let it go FFS!