Player contracts and transfers

David123

4 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Looks like Thistle have found 1.2m from somewhere.

4 hours ago, bankfoot saint said:

BBC reporting he’s just signed for Partick on a one year deal

Yup, assume that's the end of this "the Weirs don't put money in the actual club" shite Thistle fans come out with. 

Just now, Pat McGroin said:

There’s no danger the Weirs have shelled out 1.2m (Plus wages!) for a 1 year deal. Not a chance. 

Bearing in mind he will be contracted until the end of May, that’s over £33k a week before salary 

£1.2m is what owed to Al Ahly for his registration, I see the signing is "awaiting International clearance" and Al Ahly have apparently gone to FIFA complaining about it, so it could drag on. 

His wages would be on top of that. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy said:

£1.2m is what owed to Al Ahly for his registration, I see the signing is "awaiting International clearance" and Al Ahly have apparently gone to FIFA complaining about it, so it could drag on. 

His wages would be on top of that. 

I know, but suggestions that the Weirs have paid that is mad. 1.2m divided over the next 9 months is over £33k a week!

10 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I know, but suggestions that the Weirs have paid that is mad. 1.2m divided over the next 9 months is over £33k a week!

Why's it mad? 

The Weirs have spend the past few years paying everything to do with the Youth set up there, and have just spent near enough £4m buying ground and starting work on a training ground for the club. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Why's it mad? 

The Weirs have spend the past few years paying everything to do with the Youth set up there, and have just spent near enough £4m buying ground and starting work on a training ground for the club. 

It’s mad because he’s maybe worth a tenth of that. If he signed a 5 year deal on £500 a week, I could maybe see some resale value in the deal. 

Prior to this, they have invested in the club infrastructure.

Effectively, they are paying the equivalent of £33k a week for ONE player worth maybe £3-4k a week in the second tier. 

If they are prepared to chuck the equivalent of our entire annual playing budget at one player in the Championship, they would have been better off bringing in 6 or 7 top Scottish Premier League players for that. 

Whats NOT mad about it?

Edited by Pat McGroin

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

It’s mad because he’s maybe worth a tenth of that. If he signed a 5 year deal on £500 a week, I could maybe see some resale value in the deal. 

Effectively, they are paying the equivalent of £33k a week for ONE player worth maybe £3-4k a week in the second tier. 

If they are prepared to chuck the equivalent of our entire annual playing budget at one player in the Championship, they would have been better off bringing in 6 or 7 top Scottish Premier League players for that. 

Whats NOT mad about it?

If Random says it's what happened why shouldn't he be right?:roll:

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Whats NOT mad about it?

Agree, it certainly doesn't fit in with the model they've used to put money into the club up until now. I have no knowledge at all on what's happened here, but I'm guessing the likely story is that Thistle think they've found a loophole in the legal side and are exploiting it.

I read that Aberdeen and Hearts were interested over the summer but were put off by the £1.2m owed to the Egyptian side. Is it possible there's something written about him not being allowed to play for a top league side anywhere, meaning Thistle are fine?  Or do Thistle just think Al Ahly's demands are legally unenforceable?

If the Weir's have paid for him then fair play, but that's one hell of a sum to shell out on one player at championship level. Unless they see it as an investment, and they reckon they can sell him on at a profit.. big gamble though.

Greg Tansey appears to be completely out the picture at Aberdeen. His name has cropped up on here a few times over the summer.

With us getting a live tv quarter final, there must now be extra cash available for another starting eleven player. He's surely an ideal fit for us; a decent centre midfielder who was proven at an inverness side who were regularly top six. It didn't work out at Aberdeen, so none of the bigger 5 clubs in Scotland are likely to compete with us for him.

Unless we've got other options we're looking at, I would think he's quite an obvious player to go for.

The win at the weekend, and subsequent TV selection, has increased our pot from the Betfred Cup by at least £46,500. Add on extra gate receipts as well. You'd hope if the manager wants a player or two, he'll get them.

He'll potentially want a left back depending on the situation with Easton and certainly enquired about Calvin Miller at Celtic in January.

Stewart Petrie at Montrose saying he's closing in on a Premiership right back. Could that be Comrie? He's been there before and Petrie says it was delayed because of suspension (Foster?) and injuries (Shaughnessy) at the parent club. Comrie out and Miller in and still having funds for a midfielder sounds decent.

1 minute ago, Radford 72 said:

The win at the weekend, and subsequent TV selection, has increased our pot from the Betfred Cup by at least £46,500. Add on extra gate receipts as well. You'd hope if the manager wants a player or two, he'll get them.

He'll potentially want a left back depending on the situation with Easton and certainly enquired about Calvin Miller at Celtic in January.

Stewart Petrie at Montrose saying he's closing in on a Premiership right back. Could that be Comrie? He's been there before and Petrie says it was delayed because of suspension (Foster?) and injuries (Shaughnessy) at the parent club. Comrie out and Miller in and still having funds for a midfielder sounds decent.

Yes that would be good business all round, and Comrie getting regular first team matches is exactly what he needs. We'd have plenty of cover in defence, probably as strong in terms of depth as it's been for a few years.

Also think our forward options are good, and strong in the wide areas with Wright, Kennedy, Wotherspoon, Alston, Scougall all options to play there.

Just that one key area.. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Not sure that Comrie going to Montrose makes much difference to the wages budget.  Montrose are a part-time club - they're not going to pay much of his wage.

7 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Whats NOT mad about it?

I don't know if they are. My point is if they've signed Coulibaly and not realised they'll have to pay £1.2m, the Weirs will likely step in, as they haven't been shy of spending millions on things Thistle need in the past. 

It's not a case of "the Weirs will spend millions on players", just a case of "the Weirs will spend millions if Thistle desperately need it" 

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I don't know if they are. My point is if they've signed Coulibaly and not realised they'll have to pay £1.2m, the Weirs will likely step in, as they haven't been shy of spending millions on things Thistle need in the past. 

It's not a case of "the Weirs will spend millions on players", just a case of "the Weirs will spend millions if Thistle desperately need it" 

Thank God The Weirs weren’t Sevco supporters. They’d be bankcrupt, facing charges and living in fear by now.