Player contracts and transfers

David123

44 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Well that was an interesting night. Assuming Swanson does sign and ignoring the question of how do we play all these attacking players at one time, we certainly now have a squad full of options and a decent player in every position in the forward places.

Still think we are a little light in midfield if Davidson is out for longer than thought and haven't really seen much of Callachan. I assume he got most of his Hearts games in the Cathro experiment.

As has been mentioned credit to Brown, one of the things that I felt has kept crowds away from McD has been the lack of exciting football. This window should change that. He certainly can't be said to not be backing the manager this time around as you would imagine the likes of Kennedy, Watt, Wright, Scougall and Swanson will be on decent wages.

On Scougall, we have never really seen him in his best position behind the attacker and with Swanson now in the door (almost) and McMillan and Alston having played there this season, will we get to see him have a run....I have my doubts. Can only imagine Tommy doesn't see what he wants to in training. Still the player can't go anywhere now (are loans now out as well?) and he'll just have to get his head down.

One wish....play all the attacking options against Celtic in the cup and see where that takes us!

Tommy says we can loan to lower leagues til end of next month.

There is a chance McCann, McClean, Comrie & Hursts would be candidates if they agreed.

I worry about our goalkeeping position if Zander gets injured or suspended. Have never seen Mitchell playing but he doesn't look very athletic when I have seen him warm up. He looked like he struggled to run so don't see him as a sweeper/keeper. Therefore I would keep Hurst who is also unproven.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Oh come on, we all know that's not true - Swanson's a wonderful player and if it's true that he's back then I'm delighted about it, but let's not pretend he has some sort of huge loyalty to Saints or to Tommy Wright.

One thing's for certain is that Steve Brown has seriously backed Tommy Wright in this window. Might have been nice if it could have happened when we were on a roll after winning the Cup, but better late than never. Really exciting to see what Tommy Wright can do for us when he's allowed to get the targets that he wants and shape the squad the way he likes it. I'm more excited about Saints now than I have been for a couple of years. Next priority for me now would be getting Watt tied down on a longer deal.

Bit surprised we didn't ship out any midfielders before the deadline as it looks like we have way too many now and there's no way we can have a settled team whilst keeping them all happy. Scougall in particular seems to have slipped way out of the picture - little bit disappointed by that as I don't think he's ever really had the chance to show what he can do for us.

Danny went to hibs because it's his team and who can blame him we would all do the same, but he does talk highly of saints and says Tommy and him speak regularly even in his period at Hibs aye money talks as it is a job, but saints are the club he wanted to come to if the hibs dream burst. 

Bulletproof has certainly backed Tommy this time and the squad looks fantastic, if being really greedy I would have liked another left back!

The season ahead has now got a whole new feel to it compared to where we were last year.

My outlook for the year is transformed in 24 hours.  Welcome home Danny.  Tony Watt must be the happiest guy in the world right now.  He has always showed potential and signed for a team struggling for goals - a great opportunity. Subsequently Tommy has signed an array of excellent midfielders and creative players behind him.

I can see Watt scoring 25+ goals now

14 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

My outlook for the year is transformed in 24 hours.  Welcome home Danny.  Tony Watt must be the happiest guy in the world right now.  He has always showed potential and signed for a team struggling for goals - a great opportunity. Subsequently Tommy has signed an array of excellent midfielders and creative players behind him.

Fancy us for the league again,Monty?

21 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

I got him at 50-1 to be top SPL scorer

On 22/08/2018 at 3:20 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Brown Jnr will need rewired  before Tommy gets what he wants.

Great signings so far this yr but glaring midfield position needing filled.

Hope tics failure to make the group stage tv windfall does not slam shut Browns biscuit tin.

That was a quick rewire job, great transfer window, well done saints.

Bums on seats should increase as the offering on the pitch should be so much more entertaining.

Looking forward to seeing some brilliant attacking football.

Top 6 easily within our grasp, we should fear no one.

Tough spell of games coming up but should be exciting.

Best team in Tayside by the length of the Tay.

It’s been easy to criticise Brown Jnr in the past couple of years so credit where credits due, we’ll done Steve.

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright has revealed that he was not expecting to re-sign Danny Swanson until transfer deadline day.

"We got a phone call at four o'clock yesterday saying Hibs were releasing Danny," he told BBC Radio Scotland.

"I asked the chairman a question and he said 'go for it'. The chairman's done well for us in the transfer window and the one surprise for us was getting Danny."

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright has revealed that he was not expecting to re-sign Danny Swanson until transfer deadline day.

"We got a phone call at four o'clock yesterday saying Hibs were releasing Danny," he told BBC Radio Scotland.

"I asked the chairman a question and he said 'go for it'. The chairman's done well for us in the transfer window and the one surprise for us was getting Danny."

Thought that was probably the case.

The surprise was that SB released the money.

Think it proves that he is willing to open his purse if he thinks its a good deal. He has seen a lot of dross coming in in previous seasons but this seasons look more exciting .

On 01/09/2018 at 10:32 AM, RandomGuy said:

It's a common thing said amongst those ITK tbf, suggestion is Saints were the only club he'd give up on Hibs for. 

Same way that the only club he left us for before was Hibs. 

On 01/09/2018 at 11:21 AM, crieffsaintandy said:

Danny went to hibs because it's his team and who can blame him we would all do the same, but he does talk highly of saints and says Tommy and him speak regularly even in his period at Hibs aye money talks as it is a job, but saints are the club he wanted to come to if the hibs dream burst. 

I don't buy this stuff for a second. You guys think that if Rangers, or Aberdeen, or any English Championship/League 1 side had dangled a bigger salary in front of his nose on deadline day that he'd have chosen Saints? Absolutely no chance. Not that it matters now, of course - he's ours and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him back in a Saints shirt - but after the way he's twice ditched us in the past let's not all pretend he's got some sort of massive loyalty to Saints.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I don't buy this stuff for a second. You guys think that if Rangers, or Aberdeen, or any English Championship/League 1 side had dangled a bigger salary in front of his nose on deadline day that he'd have chosen Saints? Absolutely no chance. Not that it matters now, of course - he's ours and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him back in a Saints shirt - but after the way he's twice ditched us in the past let's not all pretend he's got some sort of massive loyalty to Saints.

Of course he would have jumped ship. 

I think if we’d offered him £800 a week while Motherwell and County offered him £900, he’d have chosen Saints.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Well yes, nobodies claiming he'd reject Barcelona for us, but of the realistic teams who'd be interested, I doubt he'd have given up his chance of making it at Hibs for any other club/manager than Saints/TW. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Well yes, nobodies claiming he'd reject Barcelona for us, but of the realistic teams who'd be interested, I doubt he'd have given up his chance of making it at Hibs for any other club/manager than Saints/TW. 

Exactly and as Pat said above, I was talking about teams around about us in terms of budget, your Motherwell, countys etc. But also a lot to be said working with a manager you like, loyalty and all that, but most would move on if someone throws silly money at you, well most people would if they were honest! And football is a short career.