Player contracts and transfers

David123

I don't think there will be many surprised by this. Definitely has quality, but the goals scored ratio is disappointing. 

Thought it was quite telling early on when asked about a new contract, he said something like it was down to the club to prove how much they wanted him to stay....in the end the lack of goals means we can't justify the wage he is looking for.

Be interesting to see if this opens the door to McMillan again. He hasn't exactly scored bundles with Accies...mind you, not sure he is getting much game time.

15 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Are they still managed by Alexander?? Certainly wont have any issues meeting his wage demands. 

They outbid Aberdeen for Adam Rooney, so wages wont be an issue.

4 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Be interesting to see if this opens the door to McMillan again. He hasn't exactly scored bundles with Accies...mind you, not sure he is getting much game time.

Hamilton fans on P&B seem united in their opinion hes their worst signing this season, and are suggesting hes one of the worst strikers they've had since promotion.

I think his time here is done.

So what’s on Tommy’s shopping list then:

- GK - Back up GK (if Bell isn’t signed)

- RB - Long term Foster replacement 

- CB - Replacement for Joe

-versatile CM - Alston replacement

- LB - if Easton doesn’t get a new contract

-Generic Squad filling loan - replace Goss

- ST - Replacement for Watt

1 hour ago, supersaint44 said:

So what’s on Tommy’s shopping list then:

- GK - Back up GK (if Bell isn’t signed)

- RB - Long term Foster replacement 

- CB - Replacement for Joe

-versatile CM - Alston replacement

- LB - if Easton doesn’t get a new contract

-Generic Squad filling loan - replace Goss

- ST - Replacement for Watt

Could be looking for Anderson/Keown and McMillan replacements too, depending on whether the club keep them on.

I'd guess somewhere between 5-9 signings required, depending on who's released and if any of the players contracted for next season do leave.

At the start of the season I thought Watt would be leaving for better things come this point, but I can't say I'm particularly bothered. I certainly wouldn't break the bank for him. He's a gifted player and has a good touch and decent vision, but a strikers job is to score goals and create chances- he's been pretty quiet on both.

Here's hoping we can unearth a 12-15 goal a season striker to add to the goals scored section in the table. A 25+ goal scorer would be even better!!!!

1 hour ago, Kilgour said:

Tony Watts time here is a mirror image of his time at Hearts.as for McMillan he is definitely not the answer .

Hearts & maybe all the other teams he played for. 10 teams in 8 seasons with more loans than Sevco. Was never going to end well but worth the chance as he had to turn his career round sometime you would think.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Templar Saint said:

Was informed on Saturday by a guy who knows Gallacher that he had already signed for us and that had Joe gone to Aberdeen in January then there was a deal in place to bring Gallacher in then.

He is fed up travelling to Livingston from Dundee area every day and has just moved to a house near the Swallow Hotel at bottom of A90.  Nice we jaunt to training in Perth every day  - Motherwell would be as bad a travel as Livingston if not worse.

Beeb saying Motherwell have got him.

Never knew he was an inside man.....for assault.

28 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

"St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright has resigned himself to losing skipper Joe Shaughnessy at the end of the season and says the only Scottish clubs who could match his wage demands are the Old Firm and Aberdeen. (Daily Record, print edition)"

:shock:

If he wants to go and warm his arse on ye go Joe.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

"St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright has resigned himself to losing skipper Joe Shaughnessy at the end of the season and says the only Scottish clubs who could match his wage demands are the Old Firm and Aberdeen. (Daily Record, print edition)"

:shock:

Exactly the same as Davidson a few years back.Fairly good chance his elevated opinion of himself will not be matched by big clubs and he re-signs for Saints a week before the new season. Either that, or the Sheffrothalbion Wanderers reserves in English League One.

Really cant quite understand the bitterness towards Joe in this situation.  He's been a consummate professional for us over the last 2/3 years.  He is still a young lad, who I assume has his own ambitions to play at as high a level as he possibly can, who are we to say what these are and what he could achieve.   He is 100% fully entitled to survey all his options and make an informed decision when he sees fit.  Just as Tommy is to take any contract offer off the table currently as he has to plan for next season.  If that is with us then brilliant, if not and he gets a move elsewhere then good on him in my opinion. 

Wouldn't ever have a bad word to say about Joe or his time at the club.

1 hour ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Really cant quite understand the bitterness towards Joe in this situation.  He's been a consummate professional for us over the last 2/3 years.  He is still a young lad, who I assume has his own ambitions to play at as high a level as he possibly can, who are we to say what these are and what he could achieve.   He is 100% fully entitled to survey all his options and make an informed decision when he sees fit.  Just as Tommy is to take any contract offer off the table currently as he has to plan for next season.  If that is with us then brilliant, if not and he gets a move elsewhere then good on him in my opinion. 

We lost out on Declan Gallagher to Motherwell over wages. 

We were still negotiating with Shaughnessy at the time of going after Gallagher.

Shaughnessy was negotiating with Saints while knowing his demands were beyond Saints.

Hes wasted everyones time and maybe cost us a replacement. If he'd said six months ago he'd be leaving in the Summer as he wanted to try down South it would've been accepted without fuss.

Edited by RandomGuy

2 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

He gave it big licks about staying and encouraging others that it was a great club etc, again it is his prerogative, but talk is cheap and a few others have been more up front and stated they are staying/going, not bitter towards him but feel his performances have been no where near the level he was at before the talk, think Tommy played him in the blind hope he was signing when really big Liam Gordon should have been playing instead of Joe as he is the future.

Interesting the club are talking about going with a smaller squad next year. Sounds like we are thinking top six is going to be less of a likelihood in future years and therefore, the prize money will be less and so are cutting our cloth accordingly.

That might change if the likes of Kerr goes, but doesn't sound like we will be pushing the boat out to replace the likes of Watt.

On Joe, perfectly within his rights to see what other offers come his way .... not convinced he is the standard that he seems to think himself. Reckon he'd be quite lucky to be first choice in a division one english side, but we will see.

Once Kerr has served his suspension, it would be Kerr and Gordon for me until the end of the season. Easton needs games to prove his fitness too. I read Tommy saying he needs a full back....you would imagine that is to push Foster and Comrie is on the way out.