Player contracts and transfers

David123

9 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Interesting the club are talking about going with a smaller squad next year. Sounds like we are thinking top six is going to be less of a likelihood in future years and therefore, the prize money will be less and so are cutting our cloth accordingly.

That might change if the likes of Kerr goes, but doesn't sound like we will be pushing the boat out to replace the likes of Watt.

On Joe, perfectly within his rights to see what other offers come his way .... not convinced he is the standard that he seems to think himself. Reckon he'd be quite lucky to be first choice in a division one english side, but we will see.

Once Kerr has served his suspension, it would be Kerr and Gordon for me until the end of the season. Easton needs games to prove his fitness too. I read Tommy saying he needs a full back....you would imagine that is to push Foster and Comrie is on the way out. 

Says he wants two full backs, ideally one who can play centre back too.

He also says a striker is his number one priority

1 hour ago, 541ntees said:

Shaughnessy couldn’t lace the boots of Ando Or Wright. Two players who found their level at Saints. He’s a good player but not someone I’d lose sleep over if he left esp when Gordon looks ready to step in. My only worry is having 2 youngsters at cb 

I think De Ligt of Ajax shows that age is irrelevant when you are a good/great player! :wink: 

1 hour ago, 541ntees said:

Shaughnessy couldn’t lace the boots of Ando Or Wright. Two players who found their level at Saints. He’s a good player but not someone I’d lose sleep over if he left esp when Gordon looks ready to step in. My only worry is having 2 youngsters at cb 

You are spot on with first point, he is maybe hearing the cash his brother gets at Leeds, but Joe is bang average and obviously thinks he is better than he is, good luck to him but not a big miss as some make out, the other two are getting past the youngster stage and really should be up to playing there week in out if not they will never be ready, as Kerr has shown already and will he even be here next season. All seems to be going a different way than the beginning of last season when brown was letting wright sign what he liked and it worked up to Xmas after that went tits up and back to tight budget again, although could be big Tommy playing the chairman as usual.

I imagine brown (and tommy) will have looked at some of the signings brought in this year that 'pushed the boat out' in terms of wages (Watt, Swanson, Kennedy and O'Halloran) and wonder if we have got value for money and Kennedy aside, I'd say no.

I'd argue that this year, we lost some of the spirit in the team and maybe less expensive, more grafting type players are more in tune with that than maybe a Watt type player.

On Joe, despite being poor in the 2nd half of the season, I'd have kept him, but it's like he is either engineering a move away or doesn't understand saints as we are never going to give him what he is looking for. He's the only player I can remember Tommy being so explicit about his unhappiness when leaving.

The bigger worry for me is it seems we are doing away with the youth approach. We cannot cut the first team budget, cut the youths and expect to stay even standing still, never mind progress.... 

3 hours ago, 541ntees said:

That’s nonsense,regarding Ando,he’s had bombscares season after season,even with his experience, an average player at best,Wright carried him,as did Doobs,softest cb I’ve seen against anyone physical,Joe has been really consistent up until Christmas in his time here,but as Tommy says,he’s not the only one poor after the break 

17 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We lost out on Declan Gallagher to Motherwell over wages. 

We were still negotiating with Shaughnessy at the time of going after Gallagher.

Shaughnessy was negotiating with Saints while knowing his demands were beyond Saints.

Hes wasted everyones time and maybe cost us a replacement.

This. 

Also if you put his appearance money in the mix while Tommy was trying to convince him to stay(while being worse than average) compared to Liams, he's royally shafted Saints. 

From my reading of all that the club have said, Joes agent/dad told the club way back when discussions started what they were looking for. They haven’t moved the goalposts, Saints tried to find a middle ground and have failed to get near enough to his agents wishes. Joe said he would like to stay if possible.

Cant see that anybody has done anything to cause all this bad feeling other than Joes form going out of the window.

In my opinion we need a minimum squad of:

3 Goal Keepers, 4 Full Backs, 4 Central defenders, 3 Defensive midfielders, 4 Wingers, 2 Attacking midfielders and 4 Strikers Total 25

Goal Keepers: Zander Clark, Ross Sinclair, Cammy Bell, Mark Hurst   need 1

Full Backs: Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Brian Easton need 1/2

Central Defenders: Steven Anderson, Liam Gordon, Jason Kerr, Joe Shaughnessy Aaron Comrie  Niall Keown need 1

Defencive Midfielders: Ross Callachan, Liam Craig need 1

Wide Midfielders: Matty Kennedy, Drey Wright, Danny Swanson, Michael O'Halloran, David Wotherspoon

Attacking Midfielders: Murray Davidson, Blair Alston, Sean Goss need 1

Strikers: Chris Kane Callum Hendry David McMillan Tony Watt need 1

That is 8 out (think he will keep Easton)

In my opinion we need between 4-6 players

Goalkeeper

Full Back

Central Defender (may bring in one which can play fullback)

Defensive Midfielder

Attacking Midfielder (could use one of his wide players as he has 5 for 2 places)

Striker

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

In my opinion we need a minimum squad of:

3 Goal Keepers, 4 Full Backs, 4 Central defenders, 3 Defensive midfielders, 4 Wingers, 2 Attacking midfielders and 4 Strikers Total 25

Goal Keepers: Zander Clark, Ross Sinclair, Cammy Bell, Mark Hurst   need 1

Full Backs: Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Brian Easton need 1/2

Central Defenders: Steven Anderson, Liam Gordon, Jason Kerr, Joe Shaughnessy Aaron Comrie  Niall Keown need 1

Defencive Midfielders: Ross Callachan, Liam Craig need 1

Wide Midfielders: Matty Kennedy, Drey Wright, Danny Swanson, Michael O'Halloran, David Wotherspoon

Attacking Midfielders: Murray Davidson, Blair Alston, Sean Goss need 1

Strikers: Chris Kane Callum Hendry David McMillan Tony Watt need 1

That is 8 out (think he will keep Easton)

In my opinion we need between 4-6 players

Goalkeeper

Full Back

Central Defender (may bring in one which can play fullback)

Defensive Midfielder

Attacking Midfielder (could use one of his wide players as he has 5 for 2 places)

Striker

Not happening. 

8 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Motherwell signed Polwarth on pca,looks like they’re listening to TW,s wishlist,then getting them before us

Yup. 

Declan Gallagher and Liam Polworth, both players we targeted and both signed for Motherwell. They also tried to sign O'Halloran, at least twice, after we went in for him.

22 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

I imagine brown (and tommy) will have looked at some of the signings brought in this year that 'pushed the boat out' in terms of wages (Watt, Swanson, Kennedy and O'Halloran) and wonder if we have got value for money and Kennedy aside, I'd say no.

I'd argue that this year, we lost some of the spirit in the team and maybe less expensive, more grafting type players are more in tune with that than maybe a Watt type player.

On Joe, despite being poor in the 2nd half of the season, I'd have kept him, but it's like he is either engineering a move away or doesn't understand saints as we are never going to give him what he is looking for. He's the only player I can remember Tommy being so explicit about his unhappiness when leaving.

The bigger worry for me is it seems we are doing away with the youth approach. We cannot cut the first team budget, cut the youths and expect to stay even standing still, never mind progress.... 

Have to disagree with a lot of that I'm afraid. On the first 4, Kennedy is without doubt value, MOH is showing some signs, too early to judge after injury, and say what you like about Tony Watt but I don't think it's at all fair to accuse him of not grafting. That boy put in the effort, but came up short on quality in front of goal and maybe a bit of luck too. Don't forget Drey Wright. The run before Christmas shows that there was value there. Swanson I wil concede has been honking, others want him to play till the end of the season to play into his game but for me, I'd sling him. So overall the signings have had a decent hit rate. 

Also Joe should leave. He's been a decent player but he clearly thinks he's too good for us and we can't afford that kind of attitude unless it's backed up by performance and the last 4 says it's not. 

Finally we're not doing away with youth development are we? I know we're not having a reserves team but we'll still have youth players. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Typos

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Hopefully Tommy punts all who are out of contract but who should we replace them with? Name the players within our budget you'd like to see at Saints. 

I'll start, Maksim Maksimov is the striker we are crying out for.

I’d give my left pinkie if it meant we got him. A real class act.

Hopefully Tommy punts all who are out of contract but who should we replace them with? Name the players within our budget you'd like to see at Saints. 

No chance of signing Maksimov.

Discussions were held after Trakia match and there seemed to be more than one agent/financially involved person connected to him.  Discussions ended by Saints as it was getting extremely complicated.

So unless these issues have changed I do not see Saints going after him and also has he not just moved clubs.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Have to disagree with a lot of that I'm afraid. On the first 4, Kennedy is without doubt value, MOH is showing some signs, too early to judge after injury, and say what you like about Tony Watt but I don't think it's at all fair to accuse him of not grafting. That boy put in the effort, but came up short on quality in front of goal and maybe a bit of luck too. Don't forget Drey Wright. The run before Christmas shows that there was value there. Swanson I wil concede has been honking, others want him to play till the end of the season to play into his game but for me, I'd sling him. So overall the signings have had a decent hit rate. 

Also Joe should leave. He's been a decent player but he clearly thinks he's too good for us and we can't afford that kind of attitude unless it's backed up by performance and the last 4 says it's not. 

Finally we're not doing away with youth development are we? I know we're not having a reserves team but we'll still have youth players. 

I don't necessarily mean the effort Watt put in at times, I actually liked his efforts , but post Christmas, there is no fire there. As you say, bit of bad luck and confidence done him in, but we cannot carry players like that. Kane is a cheaper version of the same type of player. Forgot about Wright, he for me will be massive when he returns.

Re the youths, yes, we have announced only we are getting rid of the reserves, but without that bridge, how can we have an effective youth set up? Don't be surprised when the youths get canned or scaled right back. 

I could see up signing Chalmers from ICT. Exactly in the mould of a Tommy player. Possibly Gray and Bartley from Hibs too.....

17 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

You list us needing 6 or 7 in your opinion, then say 4-6 in your summary. I do think we'll bring in 4, not many more than that, unless we lose Kerr or Clark. 

Sorry, I did not explain myself very clearly. I was trying to say we needed to fill 6/7 positions as 7/8 players could leave.

I reduced the number required by 1 stating we would keep Easton

I again reduced that number by another 1 saying a new player could fill in at Centre back and full back (a player that can play both positions)

I finally reduced it by another 1 by suggesting that 1 of our 5 wingers could play attacking centre mid. 

That  takes the need for 7 players down to 4

I too think we will bring in 4