Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann
13 hours ago, Cagey said:

Why would a out of contract player be released 2 weeks before end of season ?.

Surely it would have to be someone with time to run on his contract. Swanson & Alston were in squad today so can't see it being them.

If there is someone released from contract then I would hope the club would inform their fans.

I don't get it either, if it's true and it is Watt. We don't have a great choice up front as it is and an injury to Cal or Kano leaves absolutely no cover at all. Strange.

8 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

I don't get it either, if it's true and it is Watt. We don't have a great choice up front as it is and an injury to Cal or Kano leaves absolutely no cover at all. Strange.

Why? Watts gone in a few weeks anyway, and has scored 2 league goals all season. We'd be aswell just chucking in a youngster for experience as we would be Watt.

No idea why he'd be released from his contract 2 weeks early but there are seasons that have just started where he might decide to go.

24 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

We've got 2 games left and he won't be playing next year. We have 2 strikers and Kennedy or MOH could probably fill in if it's an emergency. I suspect we'll be fine.

Maybe he's carrying an injury and can't train anyway? Maybe he's got a job on the tills at the Iceland food warehouse that's about to open at St Catherine's park?

He goes with good grace as far as I'm concerned. Seems a decent chap, clearly has talent and is willing to work, just hasn't been able to get the ball in the net for Saints. Hope that he doesn't turn out as one of the nearly men. 

Edit: I just mean that holding a guy to a contract for the sake of a few weeks where he'll not be needed would be petty. In any case, I think it will be Swanson. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

53 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We've got 2 games left and he won't be playing next year. We have 2 strikers and Kennedy or MOH could probably fill in if it's an emergency. I suspect we'll be fine.

Maybe he's carrying an injury and can't train anyway? Maybe he's got a job on the tills at the Iceland food warehouse that's about to open at St Catherine's park?

He goes with good grace as far as I'm concerned. Seems a decent chap, clearly has talent and is willing to work, just hasn't been able to get the ball in the net for Saints. Hope that he doesn't turn out as one of the nearly men. 

Edit: I just mean that holding a guy to a contract for the sake of a few weeks where he'll not be needed would be petty. In any case, I think it will be Swanson. 

If Swanson was released he would not be in squad yesterday.

Watt has had 10 clubs in 8 seasons on the strength of a/goal against Barcelona.

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

2 games left. I am sure we could cover it. Did young Robertson not play against Dundee last season or 2 seasons ago.

There are a couple of young guys that could fill in.

Or we could go to Tommy's ultimate. Play with no strikers.

Fair point Cagey, forgot Danny was there yesterday TBH. I think to be fair to Tony Watt it's not just that one goal, clearly he is a competent footballer. But yes, he's had enough opportunity to prove himself and he had a good crack at it with us. 

He came with a reputation of being lazy and disruptive. I've seen little evidence that he's either of those and I hope he finds somewhere that allows him to play to the potential he has. Don't think that will be top flight football but that's true of a lot of lads with talent. 

How much would we sell Zander Clark for? 

I believe that a top half championship club are ready to make an offer.

£800,000-£900,000 is likely

£1 million plus MEGA sell on/Scotland cap clauses would be good.

£2 million is what he is worth.

£3 million is what other clubs(Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen) would get.

3 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

It is definitely Tony Watt that has been released, behind the scenes issues being the reason.  Lets just say the lad still has plenty of demons rattling around in that head of his, unfortunately said demons are holding him back in his career.  

Could it be that Watt has a contract for next season and wants to concentrate on getting fir for them? Do notice that he was tweeting about Salford (who were mentioned as a possible next stop) getting into the play offs. 

36 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Could it be that Watt has a contract for next season and wants to concentrate on getting fir for them? Do notice that he was tweeting about Salford (who were mentioned as a possible next stop) getting into the play offs. 

yip it certainly could be that, but its 100% not the reason for his departure, that I do know. 

4 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

How much would we sell Zander Clark for? 

I believe that a top half championship club are ready to make an offer.

£800,000-£900,000 is likely

£1 million plus MEGA sell on/Scotland cap clauses would be good.

£2 million is what he is worth.

£3 million is what other clubs(Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen) would get.

2nd most clean sheets in the league, mid-20s and with a contract, we should be demanding over £1m.

Anything lower than £750k should be laughed at.

We'll struggle to replace him for that money, and that's how we should view it.

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

Hes been retweeting Adam Rooney, and Salford, stuff for the past week, so it would all add up. Probably be a good move for him, he'll make far more than he would be with us, while playing at a worse level.

40 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

BBC gossip quotes the Daily Express in saying Blair Alston has been offered a new contract but Dundee and Hamilton are also interested. 

We've apparently offered him a new contract aswell, along with Brian Easton. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We've apparently offered him a new contract aswell...

That is what I said :)

Also worth noting this wee part from the Daily Record: "Hamilton are also keen and have held talks, as Brian Rice is a big fan of the 27-year-old who previously worked under the Accies gaffer at Falkirk."

Could make Hamilton a bit more of a draw for Alston. 

Edited by garydavidson

6 hours ago, garydavidson said:

BBC gossip quotes the Daily Express in saying Blair Alston has been offered a new contract but Dundee and Hamilton are also interested. 

Not sure why we would offer a player a contract that the manager has rarely played. Some of it was supposedly due to injury but not much. Alston might be waiting to see what division Hamilton will be in next season before committing.

Easton is a decision only the manager can make. He had a whole game against Celtic reserves so if Tommy was there he should get a reasonable idea if he looked like he could play next season.