Player contracts and transfers

David123

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

And wasn't it the case that Forest Green blew us out of the water when we tried to sign George Williams?

BH, Forest Green are another Gretna with an arrogant owner with cash to splash and outbids teams well above their level.

They are also the new media darlings, who seem to ignore their anti-football tactics, which made Tranmere’s victory over them in the playoffs even sweeter.

Hamilton are quick off the mark. I hope we are also working behind the scenes and are in advance talks.

Hamilton will hand left-back Brian Easton a one-year contract to return to the club from St Johnstone and have also agreed deals to sign Stevenage centre-back Johnny Hunt and Falkirk defender Ciaran McKenna. (Daily Record, print edition)

18 minutes ago, jhq said:

Getting the right players is more important than how quickly we announce signings.

We should have been smart enough to identity the right players weeks ago and have a contingency plan should we loose out on our number 1 choice. I believe if we have not, we will pick up whats left or nothing. The point I was making is that Hamilton must have identified their targets months ago and I was hoping we had did the same.  

Edited by Johnny B

25 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

We should have been smart enough to identity the right players weeks ago and have a contingency plan should we loose out on our number 1 choice. I believe if we have not, we will pick up whats left or nothing. The point I was making is that Hamilton must have identified their targets months ago and I was hoping we had did the same.  

Maybe we have.

25 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Do you not think that this will already have been done. Hamilton could not have identified them months ago when a) they did not know what league they would be in and b) were still going through a period of reviewing the squad due to a change in manager. 

Have patience

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Do you not think that this will already have been done. Hamilton could not have identified them months ago when a) they did not know what league they would be in and b) were still going through a period of reviewing the squad due to a change in manager. 

Have patience

I believe they would have identified players for Premiership and Championship. Sorry about being impatient, I have always been so, especially at this time of year between seasons and Christmas could not wait for Santa. 

Edited by Johnny B

We're always a bit slow with our signings, just like our kit releases and our season ticket announcements and everything else. It's just the Saints culture I guess.

Pretty much every summer we see Dundee, Hamilton etc being quick off the mark with loads of signings, but they never seem to improve much. At least hopefully this summer we'll finally escape the annual flurry of posts about how Dundee are going to be better than us.

I was getting pretty nervous last year - we went into July with one signing (Drey Wright) and we hadn't really been linked with anyone in the press. We ended up signing Watt, Kennedy, Mitchell, Nydam, Callachan and Swanson after that. On paper that's as good as summer as I can remember us having in terms of signings. Some worked out better than others obviously but it certainly vindicated the slower approach the club took last year.

Guest ScottMann

I think a lot of contracts are until the end of May, June even, so announcements are relatively quiet until after that and the players have returned from Dubai and 'Marbs'.

8 hours ago, Johnny B said:

We're one of 5 top flight clubs to have announced no signings.

Two of the clubs who've announced just one signing (Hibs, Hearts) announced those deals over three months ago.

You're reading far too much into a lack of news just now, as its league wide.

With respect to Easton, he'll have had less options than players we will hopefully have targeted, it can take time for players to decide to move their entire lifes.

I do believe TW is ‘scouting’ for possible signings on an ongoing basis.. last term I was excited to see him bag Swanson & O’Halloran two players we know can produce the goods! Drey Wright imo was his best signing however, and for me an unknown quantity to start with. Who would have thought what a gem he would turn out to be, just unfortunate he picked up a serious injury :-( 

I think on the whole TW picks us up good signings considering we offer one of the lowest wages! Pre season wait for possible signings is just part and parcel of being a Saints fan ;-) 

17 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Would Cillian Sheridan be a popular addition?

I'd be pretty happy with Sheridan - has a good few years left in him and he's scored goals most places he's played.

I always just assume we couldn't afford him though - he seems to be one of these guys (a bit like Tony Watt and Gregory Tade) who'll happily go anywhere in the world for a contract and has probably made some pretty good money out of it. Can't say I blame him TBH - I often think that if I was a footballer at a similar level I'd like to do the same.

He only joined Wellington Phoenix in January - is he out of contract?

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

Pre season wait for possible signings is just part and parcel of being a Saints fan ;-) 

I totally agree. A football-less summer is bad enough but it would be even longer if we had signed everyone and had the new strips out by now. It'd be 6 or 7 weeks of...

Image result for impatient muppet gif