Player contracts and transfers

David123

Some interesting comments from Tommy in the Courier, basically reflecting what's been said on here with regard to the signing of Goss in January:

“We made signings in the window and one in particular didn’t work out,” he reflected.

“Maybe that’s something we’ll learn from next January.

“Things were going well and we made a conscious effort to try and push on even more.

“It didn’t work out with Sean Goss but the type of player he was and the CV he had, we thought he could give us that extra bit of quality.

“In hindsight, maybe we could have stuck with what we had.

“We’d have been accused of not being ambitious, though.

“Like any manager, my signings have to be right. When I look back on my time here, I’m more than happy in that regard.

“I wouldn’t be in a job otherwise.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/903646/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-wants-a-striker-but-hes-prepared-to-wait/

Tommy says he made mistakes in the January transfer market & quotes Goss as example.

Not sure if he let the Mac's go out on loan before or after Goss brought in but if he did then we probably needed another midfielder due to all midweek games & injury prone Muzz.

Just remembered we had Spoony & Alston so yes he made a mistake. Especially as Goss was poor.

Keown & Bell were other mistakes,

Keown for Ando was probably because Ando wanted games so understandable.

Bell for Hurst because Hurst left or did he leave after Bell was brought in ?.

Bell definitely wasn't a mistake. Clark got injured around the time Hurst ****ed off to America and that would've left us with just a 17 year old available to play in goal. I don't rate Bell but he didn't disgrace himself in any way at Saints.

Keown was a last minute emergency signing as Anderson pushed for his loan move out. We needed to replace him. He only made the one appearance I think but again we were a couple of injuries/suspensions away from having no options at centre back.

Goss just didn't fit how we play and persisting with him for as long as we did possibly cost us a top 6 place. He'll end up at a league one or league two club in England next season and I'm sure he'll find a place somewhere in the game as he's got talent.

Please, please don't tell TW that Hearts have released Conor Sammon.

Played 17 times = 2 goals.

Would like to think we would be aiming a bit higher for a striker.

The Stevie May 'on loan' rumour won't go away.

Don't think this or any other signing is imminent, as Broonie won't want to start paying a contract till nearer the season's start.

What's the score with the forgotten man McMillan?

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Please, please don't tell TW that Hearts have released Conor Sammon.

Played 17 times = 2 goals.

Would like to think we would be aiming a bit higher for a striker.

The Stevie May 'on loan' rumour won't go away.

Don't think this or any other signing is imminent, as Broonie won't want to start paying a contract till nearer the season's start.

What's the score with the forgotten man McMillan?

Funnily enough I was thinking of him today & trying to think of a way to wind up Random.

Lafferty will be looking for much more pay than we could possibly afford. Hearts might have asked about him, but Naismith is signing full-time for them I think.

Sammon could do an ok job for one of the bottom 2 or 3 teams - St. Mirren perhaps.

Didn't Tommy's interview say something about picking up players on loan from the Championship when asked about a striker? That might be the avenue they are looking towards. Otherwise, seeing what players the top 6 clubs pick up, and then asking who might be surplus to requirements from them.

Scott Wright is a player we've been linked to before.

I actually think TW could get goals out of Sammon, but I think his eyes are set higher this summer. 

Lafferty probably asking too much money and Rangers probably want a fee, so that's a no go.

The manager referenced McNulty getting loaned to Hibs as the type of deal he was thinking about, not sure we'd be able to beat off the other Scottish sides who would be interested in a player like that though.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I actually think TW could get goals out of Sammon, but I think his eyes are set higher this summer. 

Lafferty probably asking too much money and Rangers probably want a fee, so that's a no go.

The manager referenced McNulty getting loaned to Hibs as the type of deal he was thinking about, not sure we'd be able to beat off the other Scottish sides who would be interested in a player like that though.

Yeah,wages or percentage of wages too high for Saints.

Saints haven't been too successful with loans. Not sure if they were not good enough or just didn't fit.