Player contracts and transfers

David123

13 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I have seen a few people suggesting Shankland but reading this article it sounds like only one Scottish club is in the running for him and it doesn't sound like us. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48486984

Reading that it sounds like he's going to England, but surely that would be 3rd tier at absolute best and most likely 4th. 

I don't think he'd get a start at any of this year's top 6, maybe Kilmarnock. 

I wouldn't rule us out. The 'he's a complex boy' comment is interesting. Sounds like the type of challenge Tommy normally enjoys. I think it would be a good move for the player, only real downside being that it rules out playing for Scotland if he's really serious about that. 

Whatever happens he really needs to kick on and dispel the doubts that he's absolutely at his level. I'm not sure that a move to England would do that. 

My prediction is Killie. 

I thought Marcus Godinho of Hearts had a good game against us back in January and I see he's likely to be surplus to requirements at Tynecastle. 

Would hopefully push Foster a lot more than Comrie and has the potential to improve. Would be similar to when we signed Joe Shaughnessy. 

15 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I have seen a few people suggesting Shankland but reading this article it sounds like only one Scottish club is in the running for him and it doesn't sound like us. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48486984

From reading that stuff it sounds to me like the Scottish club is Sevco.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Reading that it sounds like he's going to England, but surely that would be 3rd tier at absolute best and most likely 4th. 

I don't think he'd get a start at any of this year's top 6, maybe Kilmarnock. 

I wouldn't rule us out. The 'he's a complex boy' comment is interesting. Sounds like the type of challenge Tommy normally enjoys. I think it would be a good move for the player, only real downside being that it rules out playing for Scotland if he's really serious about that. 

Whatever happens he really needs to kick on and dispel the doubts that he's absolutely at his level. I'm not sure that a move to England would do that. 

My prediction is Killie. 

He would never get a game for a team full of internationalist.:laugh:

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Think folk are underestimating the impression Shankland has made. Sevco, or top of Championship. We couldn’t afford his boots.

Not sure I agree. Can't see him being a big enough name for Sevco. Next season is too important to them and I think they will want to go 'bigger', especially with Gerrard's connections. Could maybe see him going to Hibs but he'll not get ahead of Naismith at Hearts. Aberdeen wouldn't have him back, which only leaves Killie in the top 6. 

I don't see that it would make sense for him to go to a Blackpool or a Bristol Rovers, maybe make more money but pretty risky I think. I can't see that he's really in a position to ask for much more of a wage than Tony Watt. 

He's been hyped up but look at the division he's been playing in. Hard work yes but the quality was on show in the playoffs. Surely he'd thinking that even mid-division premiership is better than top 3 Championship?

If I were him I'd be looking at Matty Kennedy and thinking it would be better to skip the bit of the career on loan at 3rd division English clubs. I think he'd be a bit of a risk but I think we could be good for him and I'd welcome him. 24 Championship goals could well be 15 Premiership goals after all. 

24 minutes ago, Cagey said:

They will have £20 million to spend once Newcastle sign Morelos.

The fans would not be happy if they replace Morelos with a Championship striker that's regarded as having not been good enough at Aberdeen. There will be great pressure for a marquee signing to prevent 10 in a row. It is literally the only thing that matters to them. 

I don't think that Gerrard would consider it, other than to take him out the league and weaken opposition. If he stays in Scotland I would think Killie, Hibs or an outside chance of us. From a development perspective I would chose us or Kilmarnock, depending on who the manager is. From a cash perspective obviously we're miles off the pace. 

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I thought Marcus Godinho of Hearts had a good game against us back in January and I see he's likely to be surplus to requirements at Tynecastle. 

Would hopefully push Foster a lot more than Comrie and has the potential to improve. Would be similar to when we signed Joe Shaughnessy. 

I have it in my head he can play in midfield too, but might be wrong. Described as "solid and a good crosser" on their forum, perfect age/experience to slowly replace Foster.

1 hour ago, jhq said:

I agree with you there.  Sleeping giant English club possibly Sunderland?

Three clubs widely rumoured are Rangers, Sunderland and Portsmouth. Portsmouth only club who have guaranteed him a starting role. Just rumours obviously. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

They will have £20 million to spend once Newcastle sign Morelos.

It wouldn't matter. Shankland is out of contract at Ayr.