Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Said it on P&B, but I see no benefit at all in us loaning him. McInnes talking about a season long loan, with the option for Aberdeen to recall him in January, isnt appealing at all.

In that situation we'd either lose him after six good months, or lose him after 12 poor months. We'd have an expensive (as we'd still have to pay wages) first choice who we take all the gamble on, and the only benefit we'll get is the chance to have a decent striker for 12 months who we'll then, technically, lose on a free.

Permanent deal or nothing.

I agree to a certain extent and you have a valid point.

But if the only other option is starting with what we have (Hendry & Kane), I would take May for the 6 months. We need a striker,  if it is only for 6 months, so be it. We then have 6 months to look for another loan.

We will struggle this season without a striker. Tommy has much as said so.

Don't know how these contract deals work. Maybe someone itk can explain.

Firstly - May has 2 years of a contract left , which I would imagine will be a lot more than Saints are likely to offer.

Secondly - May will be looking for a chunk of what Dons would have paid him.

Thirdly - Dons will be looking for a sizeable transfer fee.

Lastly - Dons may agree to let him go cheaply if Stevie agrees to tear up what is likely to be a lucrative contract.

How many seasons will he then have to play to earn what he's likely to lose, if it's the last option?

As said previously I have no idea how these deals work, but am beginning to think that's why McInnes is reported to have suggested a Loan deal.

3 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I agree to a certain extent and you have a valid point.

But if the only other option is starting with what we have (Hendry & Kane), I would take May for the 6 months. We need a striker,  if it is only for 6 months, so be it. We then have 6 months to look for another loan.

We will struggle this season without a striker. Tommy has much as said so.

We managed with those strikers last season. Swanson and O'Halloran should provide more goals this season aswell.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We managed with those strikers last season. Swanson and O'Halloran should provide more goals this season aswell.

I may have not explained myself Kane (3), and Hendry (2). If we had someone who could get into double figures in the SPFL we would be no where the relegation zone. If they contribute the same next season, we are relying an awful lot on our midfield and our defense being solid which it is not at this moment in time

22 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Firstly - May has 2 years of a contract left , which I would imagine will be a lot more than Saints are likely to offer.

Lastly - Dons may agree to let him go cheaply if Stevie agrees to tear up what is likely to be a lucrative contract.

How many seasons will he then have to play to earn what he's likely to lose, if it's the last option?

As said previously I have no idea how these deals work, but am beginning to think that's why McInnes is reported to have suggested a Loan deal.

He’s worth jack shit mate.

his best days are behind.

3 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Then again May just want to play in front of fans that adore him rather than pick up an extra couple of grand a week to sit in the stand.

No loans under any circumstances please. As someone said only Aberdeen benefit from that deal.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Said it on P&B, but I see no benefit at all in us loaning him. McInnes talking about a season long loan, with the option for Aberdeen to recall him in January, isnt appealing at all.

In that situation we'd either lose him after six good months, or lose him after 12 poor months. We'd have an expensive (as we'd still have to pay wages) first choice who we take all the gamble on, and the only benefit we'll get is the chance to have a decent striker for 12 months who we'll then, technically, lose on a free.

Permanent deal or nothing.

So if Stevie May has scored 8 goals by January and we are sitting 5th/6th in the league and Sam Cosgrove has scored 11, James Wilson has scored 5 and Curtis Main has scored 3 and Aberdeen are sitting 3rd/4th... do they recall him?

No.

Loans work

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

So if Stevie May has scored 8 goals by January and we are sitting 5th/6th in the league and Sam Cosgrove has scored 11, James Wilson has scored 5 and Curtis Main has scored 3 and Aberdeen are sitting 3rd/4th... do they recall him?

No.

Loans work

Why would they not recall him? Surely in that situation weakening us while getting an in form striker to strengthen their squad is an absolute no brainer?

Edited by RandomGuy

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

No.

Loans work

Is Sam cosgrove related to Stuart cosgrove ?

Just now, slf said:

Is Sam cosgrove related to Stuart cosgrove ?

Does he use unbearably long words or obscure ones like zeitgeist.this could be a clue to beingstuarts offspring.or he might be gong BALD.

i was just wondering.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Why would they not recall him? Surely in that situation weakening us while getting an in form striker to strengthen their squad is an absolute no brainer?

He has signed James Wilson and Curtis Main to replace May.

Its going to take one hell of a 5 months from May and an awful 5 months from Wilson and Main for McInnes to deem it worthwhile to bring back a “failure” to replace players that the board have allowed him to bring in to replace May.

5 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He has signed James Wilson and Curtis Main to replace May.

Its going to take one hell of a 5 months from May and an awful 5 months from Wilson and Main for McInnes to deem it worthwhile to bring back a “failure” to replace players that the board have allowed him to bring in to replace May.

Wilson was there last season, so isnt replacing anyone, and Aberdeen fans reckon Main has been signed to give them a physical presence when Cosgrove is out the team.

There are many factors to be taken into account. Or as they many what ifs.

May comes for an initial 6 months.

What if he is playing very well and scored 8+ goals (will they want him back)

What if he is playing better than their centre forwards (will they want him back)

What if because of his goals they want him back as back up

What if we are challenging for the top 6 and they want him back to weaken our challenge

What if his goals have made us safe from relegation by January (we thank him and they take him back)

What if he has proved he is not the player he was, we can send him back

What if Tommy can not get the best out of him, we can send him back

What if Tommy has the chance to bring in a better loan in January, we can send him back.

The what ifs go on and on. If he is the only option, we take him for the 6 months and as they say you pay your money and take your chance. 

I reckon a loan would probably suit all three parties reasonably well. Aberdeen get at least part of his salary taken off their hands; May gets another chance somewhere else; Saints get a chance to see if he's able to recapture his old magic without having to stump up a transfer fee. I imagine Saints would quite quickly start working towards negotiating a way to make the move permanent if it looks like he's settling in well. And if he has a brilliant six month period only to be recalled in January? Well at least we'll have had the benefit of that for six months, which is probably better than we'll have otherwise. Personally I don't think Aberdeen will have much interest in recalling him though.

I am pretty sure that a few years back Steve Brown stated that the days of Saints paying a transfer fee were gone - has that changed at all?

IMO, if that was to change, I cant see it changing to bring Stevie May back. It's clearly a gamble and I doubt many clubs would want to risk the cash. A loan deal (and these can be financed in all sorts of ways) would seem to be the most likely outcome, as it reduces the risk.

Should he come then in January it is all down to money:

How much of a fee does Aberdeen want for him (18 Months left on his contract)

How much compensation will May want to leave 18 months early (78 weeks early)(multiply the difference we will pay by 78 and that is how much May will lose) Anyone any idea his salary now and what we would pay him. I am guessing the max would be £2,500-£3,000 a week.

Many a player has sat in the stand rather than lose money. It is a short career and money rules.

35 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Any word on the 4 trialists ?.

2 defenders are definitely away. No word yet on the other two, but if the May deal is as close as is rumoured, the striker will quickly follow them out the door I'd imagine.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Wilson was there last season, so isnt replacing anyone, and Aberdeen fans reckon Main has been signed to give them a physical presence when Cosgrove is out the team.

He was brought in to replace May last season so my guess is that will continue this season. He was brought back as a “coup” to be their number 1 striker.

That leaves Wilson and Cosgrove as first and second choice with Main brought in to provide competition and goals.

The Aberdeen fans you have been perving on are wrong. Main had been signed to give them goals, what McInnes felt May couldn’t do.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

ITK guy on P&B saying he heard the deal for May is pretty much done. Doesnt say if its loan or permanent.

Glorious.

Still very much between us and Utd from what I am being led to believe. No idea whether it is a loan or permanent deal but as you'd expect, Utd's offer beats ours. Theirs is in the same ball park of what we very publicly offered him when he left for Wednesday. At the time the suggestion was that, that would have made him the highest paid player in our history if i remember correctly.