Player contracts and transfers

David123

Just now, Johnny B said:

Are we still looking at trialists. By the time the window closes we will have played 4 cup games and 4 league games are we going to wait that long. 

We should have enough to cover those games when you consider that a striker is the only position needed in a starting 11.

Tommy has mentioned that the squad size is being reduced so we are only really in the market for folk that can push those already in the starting 11.  Not out for gems in this window.

1 minute ago, garydavidson said:

we are only really in the market for folk that can push those already in the starting 11. 

It is opinions but, I believe we should be looking for players who make the team better, not similar players who will push what we have

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's impossible to make this judgement when we're still in pre-season, still looking at trialists and deals are still being done. The end of the transfer window is the time to look at whether or not the squad seems stronger or weaker.

Yes, that’s fair. I think it’s just the way he speaks about the signings that is frustrating.

He sounds more like he’s run out of milk and so needs to go to the shops, rather than actually having identified a player he’s excited about bringing into the squad.

Guest ScottMann
11 minutes ago, Linky said:

Yes, that’s fair. I think it’s just the way he speaks about the signings that is frustrating.

He sounds more like he’s run out of milk and so needs to go to the shops, rather than actually having identified a player he’s excited about bringing into the squad.

I really wouldn't believe most of what Tommy says to the media when it comes to this. He knows exactly what he wants and what he's doing. Play it any other way and he hands the initiative to agents which obviously only means one thing. I've no doubt Tommy is doing it the right way for Saints. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Are we still looking at trialists. By the time the window closes we will have played 4 cup games and 4 league games are we going to wait that long. 

It's not long since the team returned to training and there have only been a couple of friendlies so far, so I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to still be looking at trialists, would you? I don't really understand what you think the rush is - these things take time, and clubs both bigger and smaller than Saints will be making signings right up until the transfer window closes.

3 hours ago, Johnny B said:

It is opinions but, I believe we should be looking for players who make the team better, not similar players who will push what we have

And what if those players demand money we cant afford? 

Declan Gallagher and Liam Polworth were both approached months ago and decided to take the bigger money at Motherwell. 

Folk seem to be thinking it takes two days to approach a player and for them to make a life changing decision, for all you know we have contracts out to multiple players and are just waiting on them sorting out a house, job and school for their family in Perth.

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Impatience is getting to me.

Annual question has the team got stronger or weaker this season:

Out: Easton, Alston (9 goals), Watt, Shaughnessy, Goss, Bell, Comrie

In: Parish, Duffy,

Some will say we will pick up players, but for me that is not good enough, we should be targeting players to improve the team and make it stronger. We may have and they declined so where is the contingency plan. Is it we will get what’s left and hope there is a player in there that is good enough. Tommy has a tough job but it is his job to make the team stronger.

My opinion so far we are not stronger as the players signed are back up players. Have we got weaker?

Goalkeeper no change

Losing Shaughnessy has made us weaker (some will argue no we have Liam but we have lost quality cover for injury and suspension)

Midfield no change other than less depth of squad

Wingers no change

Strikers no change but this is our weakest part of the team/squad and Tommy recognised this by making this his number 1 signing target of the summer.

Therefore are we stronger no, are we weaker I believe yes.

Rant over. Come on Tommy get them in the season is almost on us.

Easton, Goss, Bell and Comrie didn't contribute at all last season. Shaughnessy had already been replaced by the end of last season, and Watt scored as many goals as Chris Kane.

Alston theres an argument, but in all his years here he never once cemented a starting role.

So far we've replaced Bell, who's now in the third tier, with someone who's been solid at this level before, and replaced a no hope full back who's not even getting friendlies with Dunfermline for young full back. I'd say its a marginal upgrade.

Alston and Goss have gone and McLean and McCann have come in. I'd rather see how those two do than muck about with someone who wanted to leave and someone on loan who didn't contribute, maybe weaker, but nobody knows how the young lads will do.

4 hours ago, Linky said:

The vision is just so limited.

What are you expecting?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy said:

And what if those players demand money we cant afford? 

Declan Gallagher and Liam Polworth were both approached months ago and decided to take the bigger money at Motherwell. 

Folk seem to be thinking it takes two days to approach a player and for them to make a life changing decision, for all you know we have contracts out to multiple players and are just waiting on them sorting out a house, job and school for their family in Perth.

I hope you are correct about contracts out to multiple players. But I won't hold my breath. 

16 hours ago, Tricky6 said:

If we blow the budget signing May, we’ll be relegated.

Hope I’m wrong :sad:

Why on earth would you think that?

From the squad who finished 7th last season, with more points than 6th placed Hearts, the only regulars we've lost are Shaughnessy and Watt.

6 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

The manager set out a couple of months ago what he was looking for: a goalkeeper, a striker and a couple of defenders. He knows exactly what he needs/wants and is now trying to make sure he signs the right options.

Indeed - pretty much why I'm not worried. In the past Wright has been quite agitated when he feels he's not being backed by the chairman. Whenever he's discussing transfers on Saints TV or on the radio he's very calm, relaxed and I thought he even looked quite chipper after Saturday's game against Linfield. He's already got 2 of his top targets at right back and in goal - bearing in mind he said both were sorted out in May - and he's clearly feeling comfortable about the striker and the left back. 

If we beat the league one and two clubs we'll have a pretty good chance of progressing in the league cup even before the County game and we have just under 4 weeks until the league season actually starts. There's plenty of times and loads of options out there for us.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy said:

Why on earth would you think that?

From the squad who finished 7th last season, with more points than 6th placed Hearts, the only regulars we've lost are Shaughnessy and Watt.

If we had finished in the top half we have less points you cannot compare games against the bottom with games against the top half. If it counted we would been given 6th place but no matter how you dress it up Hearts were better last season

9 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

If we had finished in the top half we have less points you cannot compare games against the bottom with games against the top half. If it counted we would been given 6th place but no matter how you dress it up Hearts were better last season

Well heres a thing. By matchday 33, the split, we were 22pts off 2nd, and 26 off 12th, care to explain how after losing just Shaughnessy, Alston and Watt we'll suddenly be relegated if we dont sign folk in the next week?

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Well heres a thing. By matchday 33, the split, we were 22pts off 2nd, and 26 off 12th, care to explain how after losing just Shaughnessy, Alston and Watt we'll suddenly be relegated if we dont sign folk in the next week?

I never said we would get relegated, I said we would struggle if we did not get a striker to score more goals and tighten it up at the back.  I also said in my opinion we were weaker for cover at the back loosing Shaughnessy.

Only time will tell. I believe next season we will fighting for any position between 6 and 10. A loss of form or a run of injuries will see us nearer the bottom. In the past we have been fortunate and punched above or weight. I hope we can continue to do so.

It is difficult to explain an opinion, it is my viewpoint formed about our team and opinions are not always based on fact more of a gut feeling.

It is obvious buy your statement that your gut feeling differs from mine.

Edited by Johnny B

On 7/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, ss75990 said:

Apparently very close to agreeing a new deal with Zander. Would be a great bit of business by Saints to tie him down. Even if we did only get 1 more season out of him if he has another good season, at least we should get some decent money due to his contract

Was he not expected to sign by end of last week. Sounds similar to when Tommy was convinced Joe was going to sign.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Easton, Goss, Bell and Comrie didn't contribute at all last season. Shaughnessy had already been replaced by the end of last season, and Watt scored as many goals as Chris Kane.

Alston theres an argument, but in all his years here he never once cemented a starting role.

So far we've replaced Bell, who's now in the third tier, with someone who's been solid at this level before, and replaced a no hope full back who's not even getting friendlies with Dunfermline for young full back. I'd say its a marginal upgrade.

Alston and Goss have gone and McLean and McCann have come in. I'd rather see how those two do than muck about with someone who wanted to leave and someone on loan who didn't contribute, maybe weaker, but nobody knows how the young lads will do.

What are you expecting?

I agree... At the moment we could field:

Clark

Foster  Kerr  Anderson  Tanser

Kennedy  Callachan  Davidson  Swanson

O’Halloran

Hendry

Parish

Duffy

Gordon

Craig

McCann

McClean

Wotherspoon

Wright

Kane

That starting 11 with the likes of Liam Gordon, Liam Craig and Drey Wright waiting in the wings is going to be nowhere near relegation.

I’ve high hopes for Kyle McClean aswell.

Still a striker to to come in aswell.

10 hours ago, Linky said:

I don’t like the way Tommy talks about signing players: ’we probably do need to get another defender in’.

It feels like there is no planning whatsoever. As if, suddenly the season is upon us and he thinks ‘we’d better get a defender from somewhere, anywhere, who cares as long as he’s a defender ‘. 

Whether this is true or not, I’m not sure. But he should be more careful with what he says. Something like: “we’ve known we needed a left sided defender for a while, but we’re been assessing our options and want to make sure we get someone who will really strengthen the squad”.

After a step forward last season, it feels like our signing policy has gone back to square one: looking at players from English lower leagues who have punted in our direction by agents (not saying that some might not be decent), and players who Tommy knows because they’ve played here before. The vision is just so limited.

Tommy's always done this. He pulls the wool over people's eyes all the time. He's never going to be open about what he's doing. Why should he be? He'll have a clear plan, with back ups should the negotiations stall. He always does.

9 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

It is hard to know what is real and what is the agent/club trying to drive up the deal. County can certainly be big spenders when they want to be.

Was interesting to read Shankland saying that most of the talk of English clubs being in for him was made up: 

"A lot more got made of speculation than was true, teams were getting pulled from everywhere and they weren't actually interested."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48922852