David123

Player Contracts + Transfers

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

I would definitely take a punt on MOH. He is a good age, we know his capabilities but more importantly his character weaknesses - which certainly did not help him at Rangers and Melbourne ( where the manager is a known autocrat and bully) ie TW can extract the best from him - especially now with the style of football being played. Budget must be an issue. reckon the punt on Swanson was beyond budget so if Scougall goes it effectively puts finances back on track. Any punt on MOH would therefore like come from a reasonable projection of excess funds being generated from finishing higher than 10th in the league this season. Go for it !

Agree, the Swanson money was over and above, but maybe with Scougall potentially going, Nydham away and the likelihood of a relegation reduced then a bit of a freeing up of wages could happen. 

Of course though, if we want to offer new contracts to Watt, Kerr etc, you'd assume that would be more expensive. Unfortunately, despite the great football being played, the crowds haven't responded to give more cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/798428/tommy-wright-wants-one-january-signing-for-st-johnstone/

One signing says Tommy.  To be honest, I'd be happy with that if it's a good quality player.  We're in no need of squad fillers this season.

In terms of squad balance, we are probably in more need of a central midfielder than anything else, but I'd still be delighted to see MOH back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhq said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/798428/tommy-wright-wants-one-january-signing-for-st-johnstone/

One signing says Tommy.  To be honest, I'd be happy with that if it's a good quality player.  We're in no need of squad fillers this season.

In terms of squad balance, we are probably in more need of a central midfielder than anything else, but I'd still be delighted to see MOH back.

Is this Tommy’s smoke and mirrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ss75990 said:

If we made 0 signings but managed to keep a lot of key players with contract extensions I would be happy. With them tied down can then build on this squad again in the summer and potentially be a bigger threat next year than what we already are

Agree about the extensions, and I don't think any of us could realistically complain if we don't bring anyone in, but why wait til summer to kick on?  There are plenty of teams who can take points off each other in the top 8 positions, no one team has stood out over a sustained period of time, and we're only 8 points off the top team.

A big ask, but if we put together another run like the excellent unbeaten run in Oct/Nov/ early December, we could well see ourselves where Kilmarnock are just now, only a point off the top spot. Or higher?!!

Other than probably in the great Willie Ormond season in the early seventies when we eventually finished third, have we ever been this close to the league leaders in terms of points over halfway into a season?  This could be as good an opportunity to have an absolutely stand out season as there will be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree about the extensions, and I don't think any of us could realistically complain if we don't bring anyone in, but why wait til summer to kick on?  There are plenty of teams who can take points off each other in the top 8 positions, no one team has stood out over a sustained period of time, and we're only 8 points off the top team.

A big ask, but if we put together another run like the excellent unbeaten run in Oct/Nov/ early December, we could well see ourselves where Kilmarnock are just now, only a point off the top spot. Or higher?!!

Other than probably in the great Willie Ormond season in the early seventies when we eventually finished third, have we ever been this close to the league leaders in terms of points over halfway into a season?  This could be as good an opportunity to have an absolutely stand out season as there will be.

 

I think its generally a lot harder to make decent signings in January. Its generally players that aren't playing and so are not match fit or loan signings to fill cracks in the squad for cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ss75990 said:

I think its generally a lot harder to make decent signings in January. Its generally players that aren't playing and so are not match fit or loan signings to fill cracks in the squad for cover

Agreed. As an example, if we do sign MOH it'd probably have to be on at least an 18 month contract to make it worth our while. It'll take him a while to get up to speed and by the time he is, we could end up losing him. I suppose it's a bit different if you're in Dundee's position and you just need to get bodies in the door and hope something sparks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

MOH on a six month deal, with a clause for a year extra triggered by appearances. Weight his pay so he is paid much more per game.

 

That would suit us, wouldn't suit Ohalloran.  Can't see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

MOH on a six month deal, with a clause for a year extra triggered by appearances. Weight his pay so he is paid much more per game.

 

Why would he ever accept that? Aberdeen apparently offered to make him their highest earner before he moved to Australia, only thing that stopped the deal was Rangers. 

I feel like he might decide to join us to get regular games again, but we'll be obliterated financially by both Aberdeen and Hibs, who both seem to have a gap for a right winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, saintcraigieboy said:

Liam polwarth on pca from caley?

Real or no real?

if real thoughts? Can’t remember much about him?

 

This is now confirmed. 

Asked about him last night but only got told he's absolutely useless on the wing. Central midfield player who has 1 goal and 13 assists for them this season.

24 years old, but has 96 top flight appearances, with 10 goals and 16 assists.

A, sort of, description of him...

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2018/12/in-defence-of-liam-polworth.html?m=1

 

Edited by RandomGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

This is now confirmed. 

Asked about him last night but only got told he's absolutely useless on the wing. Central midfield player who has 1 goal and 13 assists for them this season.

24 years old, but has 96 top flight appearances, with 10 goals and 16 assists.

A, sort of, description of him...

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2018/12/in-defence-of-liam-polworth.html?m=1

 

I remember his old man, Ian, scoring against us in the Cup for then non-league Caley in 92.  We drew 2-2 and their other scorer I think may have been Charlie Christie, dad of Ryan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

This is now confirmed. 

Asked about him last night but only got told he's absolutely useless on the wing. Central midfield player who has 1 goal and 13 assists for them this season.

24 years old, but has 96 top flight appearances, with 10 goals and 16 assists.

A, sort of, description of him...

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2018/12/in-defence-of-liam-polworth.html?m=1

 

Can you clarify what is confirmed?

The last report I saw did not name Saints as the CLub that was discusing a PCA with him. 

As for what fans say on a forum. Dont believe all they say, some would not recognise a footballer if they fell on their head. :laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Can you clarify what is confirmed?

The last report I saw did not name Saints as the CLub that was discusing a PCA with him. 

As for what fans say on a forum. Dont believe all they say, some would not recognise a footballer if they fell on their head. :laugh:

 

John Robertson apparently confirmed us as the club - along with the usual praise about us doing things the right way. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now