Where Have All Our Fans Gone.......

Jimmy Wallace

Do you realise football entry prices have on average risen over 700% in the last 20 years?

Not quite correct, but I agree with your point.

£3.50 in 1990 equates to around £6 now. Considering that entry has increased by almost 530% and inflation is just shy of 70% over the past 23 years, it is obvious the cost in real terms has increased to three and a half times of what it was. Do we need any further debate on SPL prices?

I also agree that TV football and other distractions are affecting attendances hugely.

I don't get people saying they'll walk away if 12-12-18 comes in. I, for one, think it could be interesting and am more than willing to give it a chance. It may well not work long term, but its worth a shot.

People have been moaning on for years about not enough relegation places, too many bodies (SPL, SFL, SFA) running Scottish football, etc etc. That stuff is all being resolved with this deal. 12-12-18 isn't ideal - but it will take away 4x playing some teams and give the chance for more teams to come up/go down.

Most people favour a 16 team league, but that's so unlikely at the moment and would still require a split to get up to a reasonable number of games per year (37).

Agree Jamie , give it a go and as you suggest its not the complete solution.

At least its a change and if it doesn't work it can be fine tuned .

Edited by HOODLUM65

Agree Jamie , give it a go and as you suggest its not the complete solution.

At least its a change and if it doesn't work it can be fine tuned .

Finishing second double figures ahead of third, then not going up in a delayed by a week or so series of games, when teams have only given contracts to players till the VERY last day of season (when every penny counts , and as happened in the leagues last season) makes it all a lottery and a rather embarassing shambles.

Finishing second double figures ahead of third, then not going up in a delayed by a week or so series of games, when teams have only given contracts to players till the VERY last day of season (when every penny counts , and as happened in the leagues last season) makes it all a lottery and a rather embarassing shambles.

I really don't get your point. A team finishing second doesn't go up at present anyway. I don't see how the 12-12-18 would make teams in the second teir budget any differently than they do at present - they might go up, they might not. I should think many of the teams in the 1st division will be in favour, as it makes top flight football much more tangible.

Ladies and gents, I'd like to get views on whether you think Saints, in our current form, can be sustained with the crowds we are getting. The way things are going I think we will be part time within the next 3-5 years and playing at a level way below where we currently are. The fans aren't turning up now. What does the future hold?

We won't be the only ones. I'd have no problem with us being a part time club

Folk can talk about how to attract new fans but at the moment any new fans we do tempt along will only be replacing those that appear to be walking away. Maybe a focus should be put on how to keep the supporters we do have? Not saying it's an issue personally but does anyone feel the club value their attendance at matches? Just throwing that out there.

I don't like to hear talk of the 'game being dead'. You only have to look at Darts - it just needs to be re-invigorated. We all know for a fact that allowing folk to have a drink, have a laugh and have a sing song would make it a significantly more entertaining place. Significantly more trouble happens in local nightclubs than at football games and yet they are allowed to sell alcohol and folk can dance drunk on stages yet Football is clamped down on? Tell the Police where to go and lets start lightening the mood in the ground. Invest the money required on a decent sound system and get an atmosphere going in the ground. The half time entertainment is horrific - we really need to try and generate some sort of atmosphere! Get the players to start interacting with the crowd?

Edited by Broon

Folk can talk about how to attract new fans but at the moment any new fans we do tempt along will only be replacing those that appear to be walking away. Maybe a focus should be put on how to keep the supporters we do have? Not saying it's an issue personally but does anyone feel the club value their attendance at matches? Just throwing that out there.

No, I am a 'floating' fan in that I pick and choose and only go about 10 games a season now max. Had a season ticket for over 10 years so saints have my details on record, yet I have never been asked by the club why I go less.

Years ago the debate was about whether lowering prices would bring in enough fans and that was when home fans were c4k. For years fans have been increasingly priced out and if the club had been bold then, the crowds would still be higher now.

If I was picking a team now, I honestly don't think I'd chose saints or any other Scottish team for that matter, which is really sad, but the truth.

Solution? Wherever it takes to make it habitual going to the football again. Get it over say 4k every week and others will come to see what it is all about.

maybe lomas needs to stop saying we are punching above our weight and instead dangle a carrot in front of us, if we think we've reached our potential then why support someone thats going nowhere?

lets talk about 2nd place and fight for Europe and give the fans something with light at the end of the tunnel instead of being in a dark pit

Thats an interesting one. Kevin thanked the Aberdeen fans for coming on Wednesday and I flippantly said "what about us?" Now I dont really bother that much but I am sure some people might like to think that the club has given them a thought. Its minor but sometimes the little things count.

maybe lomas needs to stop saying we are punching above our weight and instead dangle a carrot in front of us, if we think we've reached our potential then why support someone thats going nowhere?

lets talk about 2nd place and fight for Europe and give the fans something with light at the end of the tunnel instead of being in a dark pit

I think its the fact he's a rookie manager and it shows, as he's now getting coached by the chairman.

I can see us going on a good run now......at just the right time of the season

CYS

Looking at the papers in the lead up to the last few games(even Dundee game) there has been little mention of Saints & just a wee bit about opponents. The same with the reports on the games ,the other games get players points & stats but nothing much on Saints game.

Don`t know if this is down to Saints not giving out info or just lazy journo`s.

Also i think the admission fee going over the physcological £ 20 has had an effect on attendances.

Didn`t want to start a new thread & this is kinda linked to crowds.

We are now out of both cup compititions in early rounds so no income their.

Top 6 a must but will be tight. If we don`t make it will we have a serious cash shortfall this season.

Top 6 is gonna be difficult IF that crowd keep playing the way they do -Extra shooting for the strikers -

I would suggest starting of from

2 yards out ---moving to 6 yards and eventually out to 18 yards once they have mastered the 2 yard stint over the next 8 or so days

SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT

Top 6 is gonna be difficult IF that crowd keep playing the way they do -Extra shooting for the strikers -

I would suggest starting of from

2 yards out ---moving to 6 yards and eventually out to 18 yards once they have mastered the 2 yard stint over the next 8 or so days

SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT

From what I read and heard today some of them might take a week or so to move on from stage 1.

I despair really, we have arguably one of the best squads (on paper) in the SPL at the minute. A season with only one major Glasgow club to contend with, shaping up well in the league a few months back, best chance to win a major trophy for ages and now... out of the cups and having to look at getting back into the top 6 to save our season.

Another thing to take into account is the growing uneasiness and lack of trust by many fans who see the football governing bodies lack of accountability and general inability to administer the game as a reason not to bother any more.

I despair really, we have arguably one of the best squads (on paper) in the SPL at the minute. A season with only one major Glasgow club to contend with, shaping up well in the league a few months back, best chance to win a major trophy for ages and now... out of the cups and having to look at getting back into the top 6 to save our season.

Another thing to take into account is the growing uneasiness and lack of trust by many fans who see the football governing bodies lack of accountability and general inability to administer the game as a reason not to bother any more.

I should have said 'another' reason not to bother anymore.

I don't like to go off topic here, but would simply like to introduce myself . I'm Gregory Smith - I own RxSEO a web design and internet marketing company. I'm not going dig too deep with details here on "this forum". If you would be interested in leveraging the power of the web, for your business, then simply email me and we will go over the details. I am also available on SKYPE CHAT. My skype username is: rxseo.net - my email is allinonehomeandyard@gmail.com you can also visit and or follow me via my website/blog http://rxseo.net Look forward to hearing for you. We also create forums, if that's something of interest. We do it all....to

Hi, I would like to introduce myself...I am Eddie.....now, go **** yourself and stop spamming our site