Is Wayne Rooney Past It?

HOODLUM65

Having seen him in the flesh a few weeks back I can confirm he is still a fantastic player.

I think people's lack of knowledge of the game and the situation he was in (out of position,away to madrid on the same side as a attacking full-back) is the reason people questioned his performance.

As a guy I don't like him, but as a striker in the premiership there is only a couple better than him.

Having seen him in the flesh a few weeks back I can confirm he is still a fantastic player.

I think people's lack of knowledge of the game and the situation he was in (out of position,away

to madrid on the same side as a attacking full-

back) is the reason people questioned his

performance.

As a guy I don't like him, but as a striker in the premiership there is only a couple better than him.

What makes your "knowledge of the game" superior to anyone else's ?

Who's fault was it that he was out of position ?

Who's fault was it he failed to find colleagues with a pass.

Who's fault was it he continually got caught in possession and lost the ball.?

Who's fault was it he had no pace to get away

from his marker?

Just a few unanswered questions.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Hoodlum,how do you think Ferdinand would of got on at left wing, Van Persie at centre back or Evra up front?

Every player will have a unique set of skills, Rooney's come to the fore when playing his position- centre forward.

He stuck to the game plan and worked hard for the team. Didn't see much danger coming from his side of the pitch.

Ronaldo, goal apart, had a fairly quiet game and Van Persie missed a few solid chances, are they past it as well?

Hoodlum,how do you think Ferdinand would of got on at left wing, Van Persie at centre back or Evra up front?

Every player will have a unique set of skills,

Rooney's come to the fore when playing his

position- centre forward.

He stuck to the game plan and worked hard for the team. Didn't see much danger coming from

his side of the pitch.

Ronaldo, goal apart, had a fairly quiet game and Van Persie missed a few solid chances, are they past it as well?

Ah.... now your posting silly comments .

Stick to what happened , not Ferdinand etc. playing in positions you mention.

Is this your knowledge of football.

Must be sad for you watching the game .

Sorry Hoodlum I don't get your post at all. My points are that a) rooney is not past it B) he is still one of the best strikers in the league and c) he was played out of position which affected his performance, yet he still kept to his task in an unfamiliar role.

When I put those facts into context I think questioning his ability is possibly down to lack of understanding of the game. Funnily enough like most football fans I think my opinions right and anyone with an opposite opinion is wrong, otherwise what would be the point in having an opinion?

If you want to discuss our opinions on footballing terms, great. If not and you just want to make sly digs I'll pass, it's very boring.

Sorry Hoodlum I don't get your post at all. My points are that a) rooney is not past it B) he is still one of the best strikers in the WORLD and c) he was played out of position which affected his performance, yet he still kept to his task in an unfamiliar role.

When I put those facts into context I think questioning his ability is possibly down to lack of understanding of the game. Funnily enough like most football fans I think my opinions right and anyone with an opposite opinion is wrong, otherwise what would be the point in having an opinion?

If you want to discuss our opinions on footballing terms, great. If not and you just want to make sly digs I'll pass, it's very boring.

:cool:

Sorry Hoodlum I don't get your post at all. My points are that a) rooney is not past it B)/> he is still one of the best strikers in the league and c) he was played out of position which affected his performance, yet he still kept to his task in an

unfamiliar role.

When I put those facts into context I think questioning his ability is possibly down to lack of

understanding of the game. Funnily enough like most football fans I think my opinions right and anyone with an opposite opinion is wrong, otherwise what would be the point in having an opinion?

Sorry, but you have totally failed to answer my comments of yesterday .

I take your point and others on board that he was not in an out and out strikers role, but i was watching him wandering around in no mans land like a headless chicken and lost schoolboy moaning at the ref. when the ball was taken from him.

In his " unfamiliar role" how many tackles did he make/win?

Edited by HOODLUM65

I have to admit I felt he did what was required of him in his role. I personally think the exceptional Van Persie has more to answer for his misses?

I can't answer those questions off hand but will look up stats and percentages if I can which will tell part of the story. I'm sure it'll be interesting reading.

I also would suggest if he and RVP play together upfront in the next leg, he will cause them problems.

Ok researching a site I use alot, I won't bore you with exact stats, but putting all relevant statistics into there formula it gives Rooney a score of 7.64 out of 10, Rooney was statistically Manchester United's third best player (behind only De Gea and Wellbeck).

He was the 6th best player out of 22 starting players, with only Di Maria (mom), Ronaldo and Xabi Alonso scoring higher from Real.

Manchester United started with 3 forwards (Van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck) and one Attacking Midfielder (Kagawa). One of them had to cover the others and the best suited to that role was Rooney. Sacrificed his attacking prowess to help the defence

Especially in the first half, Kagawa was well in front of Rooney. Are you suggesting Rooney has pace?

Kagawa certainly has more pace and energy than Rooney.

Rooney was slow and wanted to play the game at his pace.

At this level unfortunately he is not allowed to do this.

Maybe in the EPL he is allowed this privilege.

How he helped his defence is beyond me, as I've viewed this game 3 times now and contrary to what you say, he has put his team in trouble by his actions or rather lack of action.

Maybe I'm being harsh on him and he just had one of those nights.

I await the return leg and will comment accordingly.

Especially in the first half, Kagawa was well in front of Rooney. Are you suggesting Rooney has pace?

Kagawa certainly has more pace and energy than Rooney.

Rooney was slow and wanted to play the game at his pace.

At this level unfortunately he is not allowed to do this.

Maybe in the EPL he is allowed this privilege.

How he helped his defence is beyond me, as I've viewed this game 3 times now and contrary to what you say, he has put his team in trouble by his actions or rather lack of action.

Maybe I'm being harsh on him and he just had one of those nights.

I await the return leg and will comment accordingly.

You're just making yourself sound more and more clueless with every post on this thread. The tread title was bad enough but to then question if he has pace? Do you live in a cave and have you just stumbled accross an iPad with Sky Go.

Man Utd took a point from one of the toughest places to play football, in a competition that Madrid stated was now their main concern.

We all know Real/Barcelona are technically superior to United but nobody goes away from home in the first leg of a tie like this and goes all out for a win. It's a game of chess. Man Utd are exceptional counter attackers and Rooney does a lot of the Donkey work when required. There isn't another player in the United squad with the workrate, desire and heart of Wayne Rooney and there are very few players globally with his ability. Kagawa certainly doesn't have anywhere near the same energy levels.

I don't see how witnessing a player in two games against the same team enables you to make a judgement on his ability. Go and look at Messi's record against British teams if you want to try and manipulate stats and sound like an idiot.

Oh, by the way.... THREE times? What did you miss during the first two viewings?

If this is past it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HoZVBkdjE0 i'd take him at Saints any time

Edited by ryangordon86

You're just making yourself sound more and more clueless with every post on this thread. The tread title was bad enough but to then question if he has pace? Do you live in a cave and have you just stumbled accross an iPad with Sky Go.

Man Utd took a point from one of the toughest places to play football, in a competition that Madrid stated was now their main concern.

We all know Real/Barcelona are technically superior to United but nobody goes away from home in the first leg of a tie like this and goes all out for a win. It's a game of chess. Man Utd are exceptional counter attackers and Rooney does a lot of the Donkey work when required. There isn't another player in the United squad with the workrate, desire and heart of Wayne Rooney and there are very few players globally with his ability. Kagawa certainly doesn't have anywhere near the same energy levels.

I don't see how witnessing a player in two games against the same team enables you to make a judgement on his ability. Go and look at Messi's record against British teams if you want to try and manipulate stats and sound like an idiot.

Oh, by the way.... THREE times? What did you miss during the first two viewings?

If this is

past it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HoZVBkdjE0 i'd take him at Saints any time

You appear to be deviating away from the game I was referring to.

I have not, in any of my previous posts questioned his achievements in the past, however this seems to be the route you want to go down.

What is it about people that they want to push their own agenda and fail to answer the comments I have made about one game.

Simples.

If this is your answer (personal attacks on me) rather than answer the comments I have made about Rooney then you are indeed a sad individual.

For the record I will answer you honestly, more than what you have done.

Ipad.............. No

Skygo............No

Clueless........No

In a cave.......No. (In my own property, thank you very much)

Footnote. I am not anti Man. U. In fact they are my English team, which was strengthened when Fergie took over.

I remember when he signed for Saints from Queens Park and watched him play.

Oh sorry, you no doubt will have seen more football than me, which will make you better qualified

Edited by HOODLUM65