Celtic And Rangers "colt Teams" For Sfl?

scotpages

This old chestnut has surfaced again.

The SFA/SPFL have apparently circulated documents proposing that Celtic and 'ahem' angers should be allowed to field 'Colt' teams in league two.

Although a large number of the Celtic support profess to no longer recognising the term 'Old Firm' it appears that their club is quite willing to jump into bed with the club currently playing out of Ibrox in order to facilitate this scheme.

Thankfully there appears to be growing opposition from concerned clubs who don't seem to be able to identify any benefit to themselves in agreeing to participate in the scheme. At the same time recognising the 'leg up' that it will give in providing game time to the overinflated playing staff of both the big (back to the status quo) two Glasgow clubs.

So far it appears that Annan, Stirling Albion, Airdrie and Albion Rovers have intimated their rejection of the scheme.

Peterhead manager Jim McInally seems particularly scathing of the whole concept.

Press quotes include:
‘Peterhead manager Jim McInally has revealed Celtic’s head of youth could not list a single benefit for League Two clubs if Old Firm colt teams join the league.’

‘McInally said: “In my opinion the experiment of under-20 sides in the Challenge Cup has failed miserably both in terms of crowds and results. That should be stopped and the idea of colt teams in the league should be kicked out as well. “It is not up to the likes of Peterhead to help develop players en masse for Celtic, Rangers or other clubs. That is their responsibility. It is not Peterhead’s issue that other clubs find themselves saturated with players and they are trying to find something meaningful to do with them.”’

‘As much as people support Celtic and Rangers, the people who support Peterhead, Montrose, Clyde, Elgin and others support their team every bit as much and every bit as passionately as Celtic and Rangers supporters support their team.
‘It really annoys me that Scottish football can’t see through this – for me this should have been blown out without even getting this far.’

Edited by Indicator

2 hours ago, Indicator said:

This old chestnut has surfaced again.

The SFA/SPFL have apparently circulated documents proposing that Celtic and 'ahem' angers should be allowed to field 'Colt' teams in league two.

Although a large number of the Celtic support profess to no longer recognising the term 'Old Firm' it appears that their club is quite willing to jump into bed with the club currently playing out of Ibrox in order to facilitate this scheme.

Thankfully there appears to be growing opposition from concerned clubs who don't seem to be able to identify any benefit to themselves in agreeing to participate in the scheme. At the same time recognising the 'leg up' that it will give in providing game time to the overinflated playing staff of both the big (back to the status quo) two Glasgow clubs.

So far it appears that Annan, Stirling Albion, Airdrie and Albion Rovers have intimated their rejection of the scheme.

Peterhead manager Jim McInally seems particularly scathing of the whole concept.

Press quotes include:
‘Peterhead manager Jim McInally has revealed Celtic’s head of youth could not list a single benefit for League Two clubs if Old Firm colt teams join the league.’

‘McInally said: “In my opinion the experiment of under-20 sides in the Challenge Cup has failed miserably both in terms of crowds and results. That should be stopped and the idea of colt teams in the league should be kicked out as well. “It is not up to the likes of Peterhead to help develop players en masse for Celtic, Rangers or other clubs. That is their responsibility. It is not Peterhead’s issue that other clubs find themselves saturated with players and they are trying to find something meaningful to do with them.”’

‘As much as people support Celtic and Rangers, the people who support Peterhead, Montrose, Clyde, Elgin and others support their team every bit as much and every bit as passionately as Celtic and Rangers supporters support their team.
‘It really annoys me that Scottish football can’t see through this – for me this should have been blown out without even getting this far.’

We need more Jim McInallies.