Stevie May

rik2304

Everybody agrees that we have lacked a regular goalscorer this season. May has scored well for a flying Alloa team and now again for a mid table Hamilton side. So is his development now at a place where he could score in the SPL for Saints? Or is he a lower level player who wont cut it?Could he play in Lomas's formation?

Despite the fact that I really would like to see him start for us, how many times in the past have we discussed prolofic goal-scorers frmo the lower leagues on here that we have signed and they did nothing when they got to us?

Dr Goalless being a classic case

Without wishing to burst your ever hilarious and factually inaccurate reference to Dr Goalless, at no point did we sign him from a lower league.  Initially we signed him on loan from Gretna who were in the SPL whilst we were in Division 1.  Once promoted, we signed him from fellow SPL team Hamilton.

Without wishing to burst your ever hilarious and factually inaccurate reference to Dr Goalless, at no point did we sign him from a lower league.  Initially we signed him on loan from Gretna who were in the SPL whilst we were in Division 1.  Once promoted, we signed him from fellow SPL team Hamilton.

--

Please let's not start bringing facts into this, it'll ruin everything.

Get him signed on a one year deal with good benefits (goal bonuses etc) and give him a run in the first team to proof his worth,if he does well extend his contract.It would be a crying shame to see him move on for nothing now without getting a real try out next season since he's scoring goals,albeit in a lower division but still worthy of a shot in the top league.He is still a Saints player for now,go on Lomas give the lad a chance,extend the contract,i think we could regret it if he moves on for nothing.

Reference to Higgins and Finnigan are ludicrous. Higgins was far older - so had no more development to do - and only ever scored 47 goals over the course of seven seasons at Ross County, and 14 in two seasons for Dundee. That's about seven a season at the most.

Finnigan scored 25 in 113 appearances for Falkirk over the course of four years. He was also far older when he came to us.

May, on the other hand, at the age of 20, has scored 38 senior goals. That's more than Finnigan has in his entire career to date, and almost as many as Higgins had in the first seven years of his career. May has managed that on the back of a handful of SPL sub appearances, half a season at Alloa at the age of 19, and little over half a season at a dreadful Hamilton team, having gone on loan still in his teens.

May is a far better prospect than any of these lower league strikers we've looked at in the past, still has plenty to learn and develop, has done absolutely everything asked of him on the park to prove himself, and has the best years of his career ahead of him. Put it this way, if he was banging them in for Hamilton, having done the same for Alloa, but was their own player, we'd be begging Lomas to take a look at him and get him signed.

He's done everything possible at Saints in terms of his development and proved himself at the levels we've loaned him to. The next level for him is the SPL, and I sincerely hope he's given the chance at St Johnstone rather than at another team.

It may well be that it doesn't work out for him and he has a career at the Division One level. But he's earned the chance for a run in the SPL.

So how many SPL goals did Dr Goalless actually score for Saints ?

If the amount of goals is what is most important to you, why do you insist that Fran Sandaza '****s off back to Spain?'.

I assume you'll be wanting rid of Steven MacLean and Gregory Tade? They provide a lot to the team but don't score much. Similarly to Kenny Deuchar. So, who do you suggest we attempt sign in the summer transfer window? I'm confused.

I have a feeling we will sell May, or more likely he will move on a free transfer, rightly or wrongly.

Caddis will be on the bench again start of next season and I really hope he gets the opportunity of more 1st team game time

WILL be back at McD following his loan spell at Hamilton.

I really hope we see Caddis and May given a real chance next season. Plenty of other teams are willing to throw the young players in and give them a go whilst we seem to rely on experience and loan players. With two successive top 6 finishes, this obviously works well but with budgets always going to be a concern youth development will have to be the way forward.

I really hope we see Caddis and May given a real chance next season. Plenty of other teams are willing to throw the young players in and give them a go whilst we seem to rely on experience and loan players. With two successive top 6 finishes, this obviously works well but with budgets always going to be a concern youth development will have to be the way forward.

Agree the Youth Development is going to be the way ahead for Saints -AS coming back to the club is a godsend and I am sure he will take the youths forward - AND hopefully the club can retain those that they do develop and they are NOT lured away to other clubs.

Look forward to the day that the starting eleven are all home based.

Reference to Higgins and Finnigan are ludicrous. two season!

He's done everything possible at Saints in terms of his development and proved himself at the levels we've loaned him to. The next level for him is the SPL, and I sincerely hope he's given the chance at St Johnstone rather than at another team.

Absolutely couldnt agree more. We can't compare him to any other striker we have signed from a lower level because he was produced and nurtured by us in the first place.

He didn't need to go on loan to Partick or Morton to be considered good enough for the SPL, see Goodwillie at Raith.

I hope May is given at least a year to develop in the SPL and with some patience from the board, management and fans he could become a real good player. I know for a fact that Geoff was a massive fan of his, just hope he has a word with the two Steves.

When does his loan run to?  Is it the rest of the season or does it expire when the SPL splits to give Saints options depending on where they are in the league?

I would love to see Stevie get a few starts for Saints and see what he can do.  I genuinely think he's the best goal scoring threat on our books, and given game time could be a massive success at SPL level, and go on to net Saints a big wad of cash.  The two loan spells have been exactly what was needed too.