Forum Manners

Tranmere Saintee

Yet again it is necessary to remind people about the rules on here.

We do our best to keep a hands off attitude to moderation duties but at the moment we are getting a rise in abusive posts again.

Can you all please try and not to respond in an aggressive manner to posts you don't like or agree with and especially keep away from the personal abuse.

Too many people too easily upset by trivial things as well.....some people just cant wait to put on their political / sexual / social correctness hats.

People fall out over stuff...it happens...differences of opinion happen....then later, the same two people agree about something different....it happens.

And will people stop banging on about how this forum used to be great and so friendly and the opinions were all so much better blah blah blah.....with a bigger membership comes a bigger range of opinions and a bigger diversity of people. There are certain posters on here bug me...and sometimes I will bite or nip at them. This mourning of folk who no longer post (or worse, the ones that say "I rarely post these days meh meh meh) does my paps in

Too many people too easily upset by trivial things as well.....some people just cant wait to put on their political / sexual / social correctness hats.

People fall out over stuff...it happens...differences of opinion happen....then later, the same two people agree about something different....it happens.

And will people stop banging on about how this forum used to be great and so friendly and the opinions were all so much better blah blah blah.....with a bigger membership comes a bigger range of opinions and a bigger diversity of people. There are certain posters on here bug me...and sometimes I will bite or nip at them. This mourning of folk who no longer post (or worse, the ones that say "I rarely post these days meh meh meh) does my paps in

Boy, was I grumpy last night!!! :?

I totally disagree with this bit. Those hats go on for a reason, and that reason is because the type of homophobic xenophobic chauvanistic pub-banter scum that populate this forum and turn it into an old-boys club of "mildly" offensive crap is what drives people away.

That and the fact the forum (software?) update was and is a total disaster contributes further.

I hate reading this forum trying to work out who has posted what when people are quoting, before you even get started on the total mince that a number of the more regular posters write.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

I hate reading this forum trying to work out who has posted what when people are quoting, before you even get started on the total mince that a number of the more regular posters write.

I hate this as well.....both the quotes issues and your comment re the regular posters. Every poster at some point writes mince, but, to varying degrees, they also make some good, valid points in there as well. Some people enjoy the humour when appropriate and don't feel the need to make every post serious and directly relevant. I, for one, enjoy the mindless banter as much as the fact that I get to discuss serious issues and get to hear about things regarding the club.

I guess the 'like' counter is a form of measurement of whether a number of fellow forumers like your input or not. Not sure what yours is, but, for someone who has just been very critical of whatever 'regular' posters you were referring to, I can't say you stick in my mind as a purveyor of wisdom and well delivered, balanced opinion who is in a position to slate the input of others. 

Although I didn't include that bit in the quote, we all have different levels of acceptability in relation to sexist / racist comments, and I totally accept that, therefore, some will be offended by certain comments whereas others wont. What always strikes me is that those in society who are almost always the most outspoken in public about what is right or wrong and often those that are privately the worst offenders. I know mates who if you listened to them would think they are 'scum' (to use your terminology) who are actually very much more morally and society concious than the so called 'do-gooders' who read into every comment made and can't wait to bash people with their pc stick. 

Added: have just checked out your 'like' counter, and you do have a pretty good 'likes' to post ratio. Guess maybe you do talk a lot of sense

Edited by Edstar101

Although I didn't include that bit in the quote, we all have different levels of acceptability in relation to sexist / racist comments, and I totally accept that, therefore, some will be offended by certain comments whereas others wont. What always strikes me is that those in society who are almost always the most outspoken in public about what is right or wrong and often those that are privately the worst offenders. I know mates who if you listened to them would think they are 'scum' (to use your terminology) who are actually very much more morally and society concious than the so called 'do-gooders' who read into every comment made and can't wait to bash people with their pc stick.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RE your thoughts on me as a poster, I'm amazed my post count is so high as I don't post on here anymore - until I was annoyed by recent RB/Kessock bridge comments and went to the bother of finding out my password again. As for the 'likes' counter, I think its quite meaningless.

RE your mates, it is highly possible that what you say is true, but none of that comes across on a forum. All that comes accross on a forum is whats posted in words. When I come on this forum I see about 15 regular posters, which includes 3/4 sensible people, 1 blatant troll, a few mildly offensive old men who like to pretend they are drunk when they post, a few who like to act superior about knowing more about the inside happenings of the club than others, and a few who just post whatever random nonsense comes into their heads.

Reading it is a chore, trying to filter out the comments about being drunk or shagging easy middle aged women or about how any show of interest in anything is 'gay' or whatever. The content of this forum is what will drive and has driven people away. I now go to P&B for my Saints 'news', as it beats here hands down.

I completely disagree with you about the sensitivities of people RE pc issues. It isn't about being a do-gooder, its about reminding people that if they want this forum to be readable to anyone other than their 5-10 mates then they need to remember they aren't talking in the pub to their 5-10 mates. I 100% agree with you that all the comments laying into the people I have no qualms about calling idiots also deter new readers, but it is only in one direction that one would exist without the other.

Just in case it is of any relevance, although I strongly disagree with you on the PC issue and its relative importance, as for me it is the No. 1 problem on WAP (other than quotes not working), I included you in the 'sensible posters' section.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

Professional "offence-takers", thought police, slaves to political correctness, reactionary amateur politicians, trolls, and numpties all annoy me much more than a bit of personal abuse. All of these are present on this, and every other internet forum. If you don't like what a poster says, you can always filter them out.

EDIT - Trying to impose your own views on others is a form of bullying in my opinion.

Edited by babychunder

I rarely look at other teams forums, but have to say, when I have, they are a million times worse than WAP for the kind of stuff you dislike JS.

I have never been on Pie & Bovril

------------------------

I completely agree about other sites, it does to an extent come with the territory.

I'm also sure it has always existed on WAP too, just it is a lot more pronounced now that the useful content has died off near-completely.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

------------------------

I completely agree about other sites, it does to an extent come with the territory.

I'm also sure it has always existed on WAP too, just it is a lot more pronounced now that the useful content has died off near-completely.

Ach, the useful content hasn't died off, it just takes a bit more effort to find it :wink:

JS, I'd suggest you lighten up a little and understand that forums cover a wide spectrum of age, education, social class, senses of humour etc.

I'd say quite the opposite about WAP in that it's content has deteriorated because it's full of rational thinking and people who make blatantly obvious points about increasingly dull and repeated subjects. WAP was at it's best back on the old server, as there were multiple times more people posting which in turn offered a wider perspective. Debate was rife, as opposed to now where opinions are stifled and tend to tow the line.