David Wotherspoon

rik2304

Of course he can frustrate but I don't care how many mistakes Spoony makes I care about how many chances he creates. Stats matter and he is effective. The fact he can be enjoyable to watch at times is just a bonus.

Mixed game again today but showed for the goal what he can do. Great pass.

Mixed indeed. Wondered inside most of game when he should have been covering Shinnie who is probably the best left back in the league going forward.

As usual  took the wrong option . Near the end he had an easy pass out left but went inside tried a few step overs & lost possession . Frustrating as feck as he puts a good shift in.

if you watch man utd you must know how shite Nani was for ages (showing occasional flashes of brilliance) before he turned the corner and is now playing with portugal, Fergie stuck with him and ENCOURAGED him, too many saints fans are negative nancy's :evil:

Nani is so underrated he got shipped out on loan.

• 4 months later...

Spoony is criminally underrated IMO. In general play he might be a bit hit and miss at times, but he's a total money ball footballer in that he always creates chances/goals regardless of whether he's playing well or not. We're a much better team when he plays - thought he was excellent on Tuesday night too. Set up the second goal, won the ball and played an excellent pass to MOH for Maclean's sitter and covered Shaughnessy very well on the right wing.

Really pleased he's got a couple of years on his current contract.

I have to agree. Wotherspoon is a player that I look forward to seeing play when I'm at a game. For my money he was man of the match during the Cup Final, and that is a tough category as the whole team were amazing that day. When Wotherspoon ran at players he terrified them, they simply had no answer to him.

If I had one criticism it would be that too many of his performances are workmanlike. I think he is an amazingly creative player and can get too bogged down in the physical side of things.

Edited by Hendo

Have we seriously created seven goals from corners this season? That's astonishing.

Wotherspoon did fine on Wednesday, but in general this season and last he's been badly let down by his final ball. It's usually shocking and a waste of the work he's done up to that point.

Would love to see the stats on his passing percentages.

• 4 months later...

Spoony's main problem is his imaginery friend!!!!

He keeps passing the ball to someone no-one can see.

Perhaps Tommy or Callum should tell him that his imaginery friend has been left on the bench!!!

happened to find this as came up as next unread but having looked at the last comment it would appear remarkably relevant. He had a decent game today and will probably be my MOM but this still appears to be his main weakness, outside box making a lateral run and tries to find Thomson but somehow passes straight to a Motherwell player. If he could cut this type of thing out and get his confidence sorted he would be quite a player. Before anyone accuses me of spoony bashing I like him as a player and just want him to be the best he can be.

happened to find this as came up as next unread but having looked at the last comment it would appear remarkably relevant. He had a decent game today and will probably be my MOM but this still appears to be his main weakness, outside box making a lateral run and tries to find Thomson but somehow passes straight to a Motherwell player. If he could cut this type of thing out and get his confidence sorted he would be quite a player. Before anyone accuses me of spoony bashing I like him as a player and just want him to be the best he can be.

yes I think most people are not bashing as such but frustrated with Spoony as we get glimpses what he can do but rarely does he mange it for a full 90 minutes.  One day he is going to click and rip a team apart.  Just hope he does it soon!

He's a flash player, does nowt for ages and BANG, goal, assist, lovely defence splitting pass.

Lets be honest here, if he played like we all expect him tae he wuidnae be playing for us.

Loved watching him at Hibs and he got the same stick at E.R. Devided the fans there as well, but love him or hate him he has some wicked shit in his locker at times.

Mind Spoony captained Scotland at every level up to and including U21. He was also captain of the Sellick youth side. Don't be surprised if he is named Saints captain season after next, or even earlier.

I'd be amazed if he's named captain in my lifetime, great player, but he's no leader of men 

And yet numerous Scotland and Celtic age-group coaches thought he was! We'll see, I suppose. 

What leadership qualities do you see in Spoony, that puts him above today's starting 11?Apart from Thomson.

As an aside,tens of million Americans thought Reagan was a leader too, never mind Bush jnr, Carter,Clinton

Edited by dave mc

All fair points. All I have is that he's been seen as a leader by folk more knowledgable about football than both of us. I knew him as a laddie, he's very quiet but mature beyond his years. Thing about a captain is, he has to be first on the team sheet to start with, which would eliminate many in the team, sadly, possibly including Wee Dee! Anyway, as I say, we shall see.