David Wotherspoon

rik2304

He's captained us numerous times this season. European game at the start of the season then he got the armband at the end of the most recent Aberdeen game are the two that come to mind instantly.

That's right, but I meant team captain at the start of any season, I can't see it, he comes across as too nice and too quiet to be skipper imo

Great to see Spoony get his goal yesterday.  He has that move where he rolls his foot over the ball and goes the other way which seems to catch defenders almost every time.  Cutting inside on his right foot from the left wing he can look deadly.. His cracker at Dingwall one other example.

I don't know for sure, but feel his stats for goals and assists this season must be up there with any midfielder in the league.

The stick he sometimes gets is more a reflection on Scottish football supporting culture than anything; we love an all action player who's battling the whole game. We've never had patience for 'ball players' when they make a mistake.. Which is exactly what they need in order to have the confidence to keep trying things til they come off.  I include myself in this! 

That's right, but I meant team captain at the start of any season, I can't see it, he comes across as too nice and too quiet to be skipper imo

Fair enough. Think Easton and Anderson have both had the armband aswell this season and not sure either of them really fit that bill either.

I don't know for sure, but feel his stats for goals and assists this season must be up there with any midfielder in the league.

Stats site I use has him on 7 goals with 4 assists, which is only 11 goals, so he's miles away from being near the best in the league in terms of both.

For midfielders for combined assists and goals?  Say 3 points for a goal and 1 for an assist... Where would he rate (midfielders only) and who's above him, would be interested to find out...

I hate you. Since its only midfielders you're now on about he might well be near the top of them, just have to check it and see I suppose. Can't be bothered including Celtic.

So Wotherspoon has 7 goals (21pts) and 4 assists (4pts) so sits on 25.

Heres the "leaderboard", although some will obviously be debated about whether they're midfielders, but I don't think wingers should be classed as strikers.

41 - Niall McGinn (9g, 14a)

32 - Greg Stewart (7g, 11a)

27 - Greg Tansey (8g, 3a), David Amoo (7g, 6a)

26 - Nicholson (5g, 11a), Gardyne (7g, 5a)

25 - Wotherspoon (7g, 4a), Blair Spittal (7g, 4a), Pearson (7g, 4a)

So there you go.

Assists for me are a misleading statistic. A player could create several chances for team mates during the course of a game that the recipient then missed, or the keeper saves etcetc yet somebody could play one pass all day that gets finished

Goal scoring opportunities created would be more relevant

Assists for me are a misleading statistic. A player could create several chances for team mates during the course of a game that the recipient then missed, or the keeper saves etcetc yet somebody could play one pass all day that gets finished

Sure there was someone on twitter that took into account these stats, think they called them true assists or something like that, and disregarded assists where the player just played a simple pass that the recipient then went on to score from.

While I agree with that basic theory, I'm not entirely sure these stats exist for every club in Scottish football, so its impossible to use it as a comparison

I hate you. Since its only midfielders you're now on about he might well be near the top of them, just have to check it and see I suppose. Can't be bothered including Celtic.

So Wotherspoon has 7 goals (21pts) and 4 assists (4pts) so sits on 25.

Heres the "leaderboard", although some will obviously be debated about whether they're midfielders, but I don't think wingers should be classed as strikers.

41 - Niall McGinn (9g, 14a)

32 - Greg Stewart (7g, 11a)

27 - Greg Tansey (8g, 3a), David Amoo (7g, 6a)

26 - Nicholson (5g, 11a), Gardyne (7g, 5a)

25 - Wotherspoon (7g, 4a), Blair Spittal (7g, 4a), Pearson (7g, 4a)

So there you go.

cheers.  Shows how effective McGinn is, and yet he gets some grief from Aberdeen fans for being inconsistent.. Whilst Hayes seems to get a lot more plaudits.

Just take Saturday as an example - Wotherspoon put two chances on a plate for Craig, only for him to blast over from six yards, and volley wide when it looked easier to hit the target from even closer in. Not much he can do if his team mates don't put away the chances he fashions. I thought he was our biggest threat yesterday - I actually think it suits his game to play off the left.

I wasn't at the game Saturday but I noticed on the highlights that Spoony was slightly muted in celebration of his goal - kind of " get it upya" to those moaning on the sidelines. I guess we were all a bit antsy and this was transferring to the pitch.

I was one of these suggesting he should have a rest but you can't argue with the laddie's contribution when it matters most. Spoon is class but thrives when he has a chance to express himself on a nice surface and not on the Maris Piper terrain of McDiarmid.

I wasn't at the game Saturday but I noticed on the highlights that Spoony was slightly muted in celebration of his goal - kind of " get it upya" to those moaning on the sidelines. I guess we were all a bit antsy and this was transferring to the pitch.

I was one of these suggesting he should have a rest but you can't argue with the laddie's contribution when it matters most. Spoon is class but thrives when he has a chance to express himself on a nice surface and not on the Maris Piper terrain of McDiarmid.

The Maris Piper terrain of McDiarmid looked as good as any others on Sportscene last night with the except of the plastic at Killie.

Professional footballers should be able to play irrespective of surface by adapting their game.  Is that not why they practice all week to do their job!!

The Maris Piper terrain of McDiarmid looked as good as any others on Sportscene last night with the except of the plastic at Killie.

Professional footballers should be able to play irrespective of surface by adapting their game.  Is that not why they practice all week to do their job!!

Simon, I think you know there is more to it than that.

If we decide to 'bump' old threads whenever Spoony puts in an improved showing, I imagine that this particular topic would resurface every 3 or 4 weeks. It's his job to do it on a more consistent basis now. He has quality but lacks self-confidence.

Edited by The Real Saints

If we decide to 'bump' old threads whenever Spoony puts in an improved showing, I imagine that this particular topic would resurface every 3 or 4 weeks. It's his job to do it on a more consistent basis now. He has quality but lacks self-confidence.

I only bumped the old thread to show how clever and articulate I am.

Supporters ironically cheering when he's substituted and moaning whenever he misplaces a pass will certainly help that fragile self confidence IMO.

In all seriousness, we've seen first hand that his head drops when he's not playing well... I can never remember him hiding though, like so many others who get/had a much easier time from the Saints support.

I understand that he can be frustrating at times but he's always capable of pulling something out of the hat even when he's not playing well. The abuse he gets at times is ridiculous.

• 2 months later...

With his goal on Friday night, I think that makes Spoony the top midfielder in the premiership scoring list this season, with 9.

I also think that makes him top equal with Harry Curran (1990-91) and Michael O'Halloran (last season, though he did play as striker at times as well) for goals scored by a midfielder in a single premier(ship) season in St Johnstone history... 

Someone with better stat sources/ knowledge may need to confirm these though!! ....

Definitely top league scorer for a midfielder. Same amount of goals as the much lauded, and sought after, Greg Stewart. Spoonys also played less games then him.

Radford or Brian Doyle would be your boys for the all time stat, but did Craig not reach double figures one year?