St Johnstone F.c. Hall Of Fame

AthensSaint

On 2/14/2016 at 2:39 PM, sixties saintee said:

bump

On 2/9/2016 at 8:34 AM, sixties saintee said:

Hope people will remember Sam Hutchinson when nominating, without Sam there would have been no Barrosa Club and ran the Aid Clubs in the town also ran the buses , The original Mr ST Johnstone.

Should be Sam McKenna memory got mixed up .

Voting is now open: http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/hall-fame-voting-open

Shortlist for Hall of Fame 2019

Robert Campbell

Willie Ormond

Bobby Brown

Sandy McLaren (1927-1933)

Charlie McFadyen (1955-1965)

Bill 'Buck' McCarry (1963-1971)

Benny Rooney (1966-1973)

Alex Rennie (1968-1975)

Jim Pearson (1970-1974)

Don McVicar (1986-1992)

John Balavage (1984-1990)

Sergei Baltacha (1990-1993)

Jim Weir (1994-2007)

Danny Griffin (1994-2000)

Dave Mackay (2009-2016)

Paul Sheerin (2004-2010)

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/53QMLJ3

I think Robert Campbell should be a given. It's hard to vote for people from so far back in the past as none/few of us remember them and many won't know very much about some of them. But it's very hard to give any of the others a vote over Campbell. Perhaps the website should have provided a brief bio of all of their achievements with the club.

For what it's worth, if I had a second vote I'd give it to Jim Weir from that list, but think that Dave Mackay should be automatically given a place along with the rest of the Cup-winning team.

It's difficult, with people like Robert Campbell or Willie Ormond not already in the hall of fame, to start looking objectively at more recent candidates. For me, a whole bunch of people should just be added now, otherwise we're going to spend the next ten years sorting them out, before getting to newer candidates.

3 hours ago, jhq said:

You're much better than this.

Yeah, that one won't be getting an airing again. 

Robert Campbell fully deserves a place in this and has my vote. 

The fact that Bobby Brown is still alive means it could be nice to recognise him at this time but he shouldn't be in there before Willie Ormond. 

My personal opinion is guys still actively involved in football shouldn't be considered at that point in time. I appreciate that will be a lone/minority opinion. 

58 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

My personal opinion is guys still actively involved in football shouldn't be considered at that point in time. I appreciate that will be a lone/minority opinion. 

I agree, I think.

I think it's important people are inducted before they're "forgotten". Ormond clearly deserves to be there, but many won't have been alive when he was doing his stuff, I, for instance, feel detached a bit when people talk about his achievements as it's just a story to me. It wouldn't feel right to me if it was a room full of people of my generation celebrating his achievements, there needs to be people who experienced it.

Brown, as you've used as an example, deserves a night dedicated to him, so he can be reminded how the fans feel about him, while surrounded by people who were there with him, and everyone can have a good time talking about those times. I think that's what these events should be all about.

I don't know what to think about Campbell, I feel he'd be more suited to getting a honorary induction from the club and getting a piece about him put up by the club for fans to learn what he all done for Saints.

Edited by RandomGuy

• 1 month later...