St Johnstone Vs Minsk 8Th August 3Rd Rd

David123

Just got home (the Beloved doesn't do motorways; cracking tour of B-roads). Totally, utterly gutted. Ten feet away from the goalies during the pens; will remember that for the rest of my life, sadly. A very very strange match - we basically just did an SPL side going out to Cowdenbeath in the League Cup. But the round before, we did Cowdenbeath knocking out Celtic. But the ref? The lack of red cards? The lack of just a toe stretching an extra inch to put one of our 459 chances into the net? The 8,059 free kicks just outside the box which ended on Mars?

I'm going to suggest we don't analyse this game - don't pick up on the weaknesses, discuss who didn't play their best etc. Saints have given me the best few weeks of my footy life for years and years, and that is what we all should hang onto. I've had 3 texts already from pals who support other teams - Perth is on the map, mission accomplished.

Onwards and upwards - top 3 in the league, mebbee a wee sniff at a cup final? This is a beginning, not an end.

IN OTHER NEWS........I went for a pish on the way out of the 208, the Beloved dropped a couple of quid in the puggy, which rather unexpectedly and obligingly spat out £70 in return. So, possibly uniquely tonight, we are feckin miserable but not out of pocket (only gave me £25 the miserable b====). 

Hopefully tomorrow we can discuss how best to hang the utter feckin idiot who let off the flare by his testicles from the main stand.

Really disappointed but I've felt much worse as a Saints fan and this is why we all want European football so we can have nights like this. Even though in this case we've somehow ended up going out until the final kick we all had that buzz you can only get by watching/listening to your team competing in a big game.

Thought their keeper was their best player but I get the impression the rest of the team had orders to kick, push or pull any Saints player nearby. Weak display by the ref and not a patch on the guy we had against Rosenborg (who I felt commanded the game). The ref tonight seemed to indicate more than once in the 2nd half that "enough was enough" but kept on letting them get away with assault.

I don't want to be a sore loser as I usually wish opponents the best of luck but this bunch obviously have a different cultural background and while I understand that all teams have to play to their strengths it shouldn't be right that constant fouling of opponents should be rewarded. Suppose we should take it as a compliment that they felt the only way they could win was to gamble that the ref would be poor and opt to foul everyone of our players apart from Mannus.

Proud of the team, always will be.

immensely proud of the team and really noticeable how 99% of the support stayed with the team 99% of the time. 10 years ago im not sure that would have happened.  Thought the crowd was immense really felt like way more than 8954 was there.  I was in the north stand and maybe there was more empty seats there than in any other stand. the atmosphere in the last ten mins of extra time was superb.  uh oh oh oh.......we must pick ourselves up,not barrate the team in any way.  Good to hear TW acknowledge that we were wasteful in front of goal and in the last third.  would love to see us win 2-0 on sunday (i have a niggling concern that we have only scored one or none in any game this season and presason).   

the minks dont deserve any detail on this. on that front im done.

proud and positive saintee, saintee til i die.

We were mugged tonight by a team who knew their limitations. They came here to kick, stamp, tug and noise our players up. They made sure we had no fluidity. They relied on a weak ref and they got it. Many teams would struggled tonight in those situations. We needed to be street smart but we were not.

Gutting.

We were mugged tonight by a team who knew their limitations. They came here to kick, stamp, tug and noise our players up. They made sure we had no fluidity. They relied on a weak ref and they got it. Many teams would struggled tonight in those situations. We needed to be street smart but we were not.

Gutting.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. And I think, when it all calms down, we will recognise we got well turned over. Which is good, so when we return to Europe next year, we will be better. Live and learn. However we're feeling tonight, is not one ten thousandth of how the players are feeling tonight.  

Lady Luck turned her head another way tonight, and the players (basically still in pre-season) were well-knackered by half-time.

Onwards and upwards.

40 odd years of supporting Saints, so really shouldn't be surprised by anything! Broon described the feeling perfectly.....felt like we had been mugged! Left the ground wondering what had happened! Maybe in a few hours it will make sense ....right now??????

What I do know is...... I LOVE MY CLUB!!!!!!!

Oh and I don't think I can sleep tonight!

Well what with one thing and another ....

• FC Minsk are the worst of the teams that have knocked us out of Europe, so frustrating for everybody at the club;
  • Saints were the better footballing side and seemingly over there too;
  • The FC Minsk goalkeeper was their best player and one mistake by him during the 120 minutes and we were through;
  • Saints footballing style looks very good this season with great movement and link up play right into dangerous positions continually but at the moment the finishing isn't quite sharp enough to destroy teams which they look as if they could do - the goals will come it's only the 8th August :);
  • We have only conceded one goal in 480 minutes of competitive open play against decent opposition;
  • Saints have a very good squad even with the financial cut-backs and they look fit.

Best to forget about it although Sevilla were still in and that would have been good, on the off chance. You don't mind going out against good quality opposition e.g. Zel Zejnicar, Monaco, Eskişehirspor but they were just dogged and boring.

Onwards and upwards.

Just home. What a night. Absolutely gutted, but have felt worse in the past because every player gave everything tonight. I've never seen a more cynical team than Minsk - saints deserve so much credit for repeatedly dusting themselves down and fighting on. As TW said post match, had that been a boxing match it would have been stopped in the first half.

It was a fast game, and a warm night, and not one of our players went down with cramp. What unbelievable fitness for effectively 1 game into the season.

So unbelievable proud of the team tonight.

The performance by the Minsk #3 at full time was disgusting. No place for that in football. Their #11 stamping on May was equally grim. They came with a game plan and implemented it perfectly. I bet they expected to get 6 bookings at least, but played to avoid red cards.

Regardless, the overwhelming feeling I am left with is pride rather than disappointment.

The crowd were magnificent. Well done to everyone. Flew down the road from Aberdeen, got into the main stand at 7:03pm and couldn't find a seat. Crazy!

Edited by montrosesaintee

Really disappointed but I've felt much worse as a Saints fan and this is why we all want European football so we can have nights like this. Even though in this case we've somehow ended up going out until the final kick we all had that buzz you can only get by watching/listening to your team competing in a big game.

Thought their keeper was their best player but I get the impression the rest of the team had orders to kick, push or pull any Saints player nearby. Weak display by the ref and not a patch on the guy we had against Rosenborg (who I felt commanded the game). The ref tonight seemed to indicate more than once in the 2nd half that "enough was enough" but kept on letting them get away with assault.

I don't want to be a sore loser as I usually wish opponents the best of luck but this bunch obviously have a different cultural background and while I understand that all teams have to play to their strengths it shouldn't be right that constant fouling of opponents should be rewarded. Suppose we should take it as a compliment that they felt the only way they could win was to gamble that the ref would be poor and opt to foul everyone of our players apart from Mannus.

Proud of the team, always will be.

================================================================

Aye, you may have just summed up how the most of us are feeling at this moment in time.

Proud of our we diddy team.

coys.

Felt we were maybe nervous and a bit cautious in our build up.

Did we maybe over concern ourselves with their counter attacking possibilities?

Whatever, Abernety said it well enough that it was an SPL side out to Cowdenbeath (I said Clyde).

Still couldn't buy the experience we've all had (some more than others).

Get the players up for it and go again.

Most gutted I've ever felt as a saints fan. Worse than getting relegated by 20-odd points, missing out at New Douglas Park and the shootout semi final loss to rangers (RIP).

Not a great performance tonight against a distinctly average side, who arguably deserved to win due to the fact they battled and fought for everything and played the way they needed to in order to get a result.

We were knackered from kick off and didn't take our chances.

Despite how I feel I would never swap being a saintee for anything, shove your celtics, rangers', chelseas and Man Citys, we are Perth. Saints till I die

Didnt' think anything would be worse than losing the league to Gr£tna but last night probably matched it. Gutted for the players and manager but realistically we probably let ourselves down - finishing was poor (esp the freekicks) and we allowed Minks to get away with too many fouls when we should have been pressing forward and playing to our strengths.

But we bounced back from Gr£tna and I'm pretty sure we'll bounce back from this. In Tommy We Trust

Playing in Europe is addictive, definitely feeling some withdrawal symptoms today... Still, it was good while it lasted, and overall I prefer to go out on penalties than be outplayed in normal time. A good performance against Kilmarnock will be the best way to get the bad taste out of our mouth (cause, yeah, we should have won).

Glad to see everyone remaining largely positive. I think, given the choice going into the last game of the season, every one of us would have chosen that things pan out as they did. The same could be said for most of us before Norway.

Over the moon at having been able to see my wee team win away to Rosenborg, memories that'll last a life time. It wasn't very long ago that a top half of the top flight finish was the stuff of dreams. 

Going out on penalties is always going to be a sore one but give it a few days and the usual start of the league season excitement will kick in!

COYS!

Also, well done to the supporters last night. Was only following the game via the radio but the constant singing throughout extra time and going into the shootout had the hairs on my neck standing up. That's the sort of support this team deserves.

Last night for me highlighted the lose of Vine. We were missing a creative forward who can set up chances for others .

Also felt Muzz was a big lose. His ability to get into the box and get on to the end of crosses was missing. I never had much faith that the midfield would chip in with a goal.

Effort last night was never in doubt and the atmosphere was superb!