U-20 Season 2013/14

Edstar101

Excellent first half from Saints but second half belonged to Caley and they could have snatched all 3 pts ---midfield seemed to fall away and that put a strain on the defence......Scott Brown and the boy Kitchen looked the part and should improve over the next few games -Edwards looked lively as did the boy Thomson but they need to pass a bit more.

The keeper Hurst looks quite decent as well and despite the second half lapse the future looks good.

Sorry if I've missed a previous mention, but who is this guy Hurst? Banks standing in for Mannus, Hurst keeping Clark out in the U20's, and some guy Bunting I've seen mentioned as another goalie on the books.

Is Hurst by any chance related to Geoff Hurst, in the same way Steve Banks is related to Gordon Banks, is this going to be our very own 1966 and all that?

Sorry if I've missed a previous mention, but who is this guy Hurst? Banks standing in for Mannus, Hurst keeping Clark out in the U20's, and some guy Bunting I've seen mentioned as another goalie on the books.

Is Hurst by any chance related to Geoff Hurst, in the same way Steve Banks is related to Gordon Banks, is this going to be our very own 1966 and all that?

I would say they are not playing Zander in case he gets injured and we need to put Hurst on the bench, However Hurst did do the warm up with Banks before the 2nd euro game

Ryan Christie equalises!! Not sure if they have stepped up a gear or we have fell apart!!

I think in the second half the difference was Connor Pepper pushing into centre mid, in the first half they played him behind the 2 in the middle, Thus in the second half making Stewart and Brown try and pick up 3 and getting forward more

Part of the problem is I think that Zander is now over age for the U20's and IIRC you can only play 2 over age players.

Mark Hurst is a recent signing I think and certainly looked the part tonight, certain areas need working on as you would expect at his age, possibly came from Livingston?

Part of the problem is I think that Zander is now over age for the U20's and IIRC you can only play 2 over age players.

Mark Hurst is a recent signing I think and certainly looked the part tonight, certain areas need working on as you would expect at his age, possibly came from Livingston?

Is it not 2 plus a goalie?

GK's are not included in the over 20 rule 

He was signed from Livingston in the close season . 

Bit of a disappointing second half, but positives overall. Edwards really looked the part at times, two excellent goals and caused them problems all evening. Guilty of perhaps trying a little too much at times, but it's good he has that confidence. Kane reminds me a bit of where Stevie May was a couple of seasons ago, think he could do with some time out on loan. New boy Kitchens at the back, looked understandably a little rusty at times but certainly appears to have enough to do alright for us.

Take it Dylan Easton was also injured? Similarly was caddis rested or is he now 20?

Take it Dylan Easton was also injured? Similarly was caddis rested or is he now 20?

I asked the same question about Dylan last night, but got no answer - from those around me and not club sources!!

Liam is still 19, 20 next month, so can only presume he was excused with being regularly with the first team squad so far this season. 

I asked the same question about Dylan last night, but got no answer - from those around me and not club sources!!

Liam is still 19, 20 next month, so can only presume he was excused with being regularly with the first team squad so far this season. 

Read somewhere that Dylan is injured.

• 2 weeks later...

Under-20 SPFL
Almondvale, Livingston
Tuesday, September 3, 2013

CELTIC 2
(P. Twardzik 73, 84 (pen))

ST JOHNSTONE 2
(Kane 3 (pen), McManus og 60)

TWO goals from Patrik Twardzik sealed a late comeback and a share of the points for Celtic´s Under-20s as they drew 2-2 with St Johnstone.

Christopher Kane had given the visitors an early lead from the penalty spot before Connor McManus doubled their advantage with an own goal on the hour mark.

But a determined young Hoops side fought until the death and their hard work paid off in the closing 20 minutes. Twardzik bundled home Celtic´s first before converting from the spot to make it their second consecutive 2-2 draw in the league.

John Kennedy and Stevie Frail named a young side with some regulars missing due to international duty. Luke Donnelly sat off Twardzik up front while Mikey Miller provided the experience in defence.

But it was Miller´s foul on three minutes which handed St Johnstone the early advantage. The penalty award was confidently converted by Kane, low into the bottom corner, and the striker broke the deadlock for the visitors.

As the match settled it became an even battle but the Perth side came close to doubling their advantage on the 13th minute. Leo Fasan was called into action, pulling off a wonderful save to deny Easton from 25-yards out.

The young Hoops had a good opportunity to square the game five minutes later when Joe Thomson got the better of St Johnstone keeper, Clark, who had come to the edge of his box. Donnelly met the cross but as the defence closed in on him he took too many touches and sent his effort over the bar.

Twardzik, who was looking hungry for the ball, then squandered the chance to net the equaliser just before the half hour mark when a curling effort on the edge of the box turned just past the far post.

Celtic dominated the closing 15 minutes of the first period and pushed St Johnstone deeper into their own half. But while they were working hard to press the backline, the young Hoops weren’t able to put Clark under any pressure.

Straight from the first whistle in the second half, though, Celtic looked dangerous. Paul McMullan had a chance from kick-off before the resulting corner caused problems for St Johnstone.

And shortly after, the youths broke down the left flank, with substitute, Jack Breslin, and Luidgi Hoareau, working together to play the ball through to Twardzik. Unluckily for the striker, his cross was blocked.

The Saints were then able to double their advantage on the hour mark, finding a second goal against the run of play. Celtic attempted to clear Thomson´s ball but McManus got a touch at the far post as it was turned into the net.

Determined to claw the game back, Celtic persisted in front of goal and eventually began to mount a comeback. On 73 minutes Twardzik bundled the ball home, squeezing it over the line from inches in front of goal.

The young Hoops strung together a wave of attacks in the closing stages in search of the equaliser, with McIlduff and Thomson both having chances in front of goal.

And their hardwork paid off six minutes from the end when a penalty was awarded for Gilchrist´s challenge from behind. Twardzik converted straight down the middle to level the sides and Celtic instantly began their search for a winner.

The Czech striker almost sealed his hat-trick with a low drive just past the post but the sides had to settle for a share of the spoils instead.

CELTIC (4-4-2): Fasan; Hoareau, Kelleher, Miller (Breslin 55), McIlduff; Thomson, McManus, Henderson, McMullan; Donnelly, P. Twardzik
Subs not used: Oberschmidt, McDonagh, McClaren, Nesbitt

ST JOHNSTONE (4-5-1): Clark; Gray, Kitchen, Gilchrist, Steeves; Thomson, Brown, Easton, Caddis, Coultress (Tomlinson 53); Kane
Subs not used: Hurst, Stevenson, McKenzie, Norrie

"A hoops side that fought to the death". "St. Johnstone scored against the run of play".............obviously not Bannerman who scripted this.

That was taken from the Celtic website. Quite good that the put the effort to do such in depth match reports for the youth.

oops sorry just realised that I hadn't added that it was from the celtic web.

Beat Aberdeen 4-1 away,two from Thompson,Kane and Coultress,some result!

Cracking result. Aberdeen her some quality young players.

Now I never get to see the under 21s, but there must be a few ready to move up, the likes of Coultress is spoke of very highly from what I can see and hear?

Cracking result. Aberdeen her some quality young players.

Now I never get to see the under 21s, but there must be a few ready to move up, the likes of Coultress is spoke of very highly from what I can see and hear?

-

-----------------------------

Heard good reports of ,Easton,Brown,Kane, and Bradley big name has trained with the first team squad already,so the future looks promising