A Message From The Manager

AthensSaint

"Obviously today the supporters, like the players and staff, will still be feeling the disappointment of last night’s result.

Unfortunately our European campaign has ended but we can all look back with some degree of pride with how the players have performed.

A massive help to their performances has been the magnificent support that we have received. For nearly 16,500 to turn out over the two home games is a credit to you all and it was great to see young and old sitting together creating an atmosphere that, even in defeat last night, made the night memorable and special.

I personally, on behalf of all the players and the club, would like to thank you and I would hope that the performances would encourage many of you to return.

With the help of your support and with the strong squad we have, it makes us even more determined to qualify for Europe again this season.

Hope to see you all at our next home game against Ross County."

Tommy

He seems to be taking it forward from the team spirit "players in it together" mantra to more of a "players and fans in it together" - excellent PR skills and I have a feeling he might be here for a few years yet.

I think that's what Sir Alex excelled at also. He had an excellent way of making the supporters feel part of the club. His mentality was always "them and us" and the support bought into that. 

Tommy Wright gives credit to the fans over the two legs.

I would reiterate that a lot of credit goes to the club staff for their enthusiasm and customer relations, Ross Cunningham for give efforts with the media stuff (I think he's nearly a proper saintee now ;)) and to TW for his infectious positivity and attitude.

Without those three elements, I don't think we'd have got past 6,500 last night.

Totally agree. This squad seem to have bonded well, there are no prima donnas. Tommy Wright is exactly what we needed in terms of how he handles the players, his comments are spot on, he is positive and think that this is rubbing off on the team. I also think he is more hands on with the team as in actually turning up for training etc something that Mr Lomas didn't always do. It looks like the team have much more respect and a good working closeness with him and his team of coaches etc.

And we can't forget the rest of the St J team, over the last few weeks I have been so impressed by the staff in the reception area, staff in the Muirton suite etc. They are a great bunch and are really taking on board the Saints community/family based ethos. There is such a positive buzz around the place and I for one will try to spend more money at the club whenever I can. Keep up the good work and we can be back in Europe for a third time in succession.

I agree with that last point Jad. i think that there are a lot of little things that the club are doing that are making a big difference to how they are perceived. Being a small club it can be hard to make lots of changes all at once. I saw on Twitter this morning that they are considering replaing the scoreboard with one that shows video.

I like the attitude of Tommy, and his manner with the press.  I just hope people remember his positive attributes and the great start to this season whenever the first bad patch arrives.

Lomas's lack of enthusiasm for last year's European campaign, and his pro Rangers comments to the press during administration and liquidation still annoys me, because initially he either didn't understand or didn't care about the Saints supporters opinions.

I think wright has a long term plan, he's bringing In a mix of old and young, if we end up with a decent academy, and a strong young team his job is done.

I do feel he was the brains whilst lomas was the face. Especially after recent results down millwall way.

I'd love it if wright won a trophy this year

• 6 years later...

Just received this email. I wish they’d distribute these things wider. 

“I just wanted to send a quick message out to all of our supporters during this difficult time.

It’s important to look out for your family members, friends and neighbours. These are unprecedented times for this country and indeed the world, and we need to check in on those who are most vulnerable.

We need to try and stay positive, follow government guidelines, and hopefully the situation will improve quickly. We’re all dealing with the uncertainty at the moment but hopefully everything can return to normal as soon as possible.

I’ve seen myself first-hand the situation in supermarkets with empty shelves and I’d like to ask everybody to remain sensible when it comes to shopping. My brother works in the retail industry and he has assured me that there is more than enough food for everyone as long as people don’t stockpile food and buy more than they need. It’s the most vulnerable people at this time who suffer most from empty supermarket shelves.

On the football side of things, there is still a lot of uncertainty about what will happen but this is entirely out of our control. I’m sure the footballing authorities will be working extremely hard during these testing times. When there is any update the Club will keep supporters updated via the usual channels.

The players and coaching staff remain away from McDiarmid Park and we feel this is the safest and best course of action. All players have their own individual training programmes which are being monitored daily by staff assuring that when football does finally return they are raring to go.

While football remains suspended, myself, my staff and the players will be phoning around our elderly Season Ticket holders for a quick chat and to see if there is anything that the Club can do to assist. Once we have called our elderly supporters, we will do our best to phone round as many Season Ticket holders as possible for as long as this break from football continues.

So, if you receive a phone call from myself or one of the staff or players, it isn’t a hoax!

Please look after yourselves, stay safe, and I look forward to seeing you all back at McDiarmid Park soon.

All the best,”

Tommy Wright
St. Johnstone Manager

On 8/11/2013 at 6:30 AM, Mizfit said:

I think wright has a long term plan, he's bringing In a mix of old and young, if we end up with a decent academy, and a strong young team his job is done.

I do feel he was the brains whilst lomas was the face. Especially after recent results down millwall way.

I'd love it if wright won a trophy this year

You got it.