The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

ARFW - should a player who trains 4 mornings a week and is paid £600 a week should not be the complete footballer, but I don't think he is able to play at SPL Top 6 level week in week out

I think this is unreasonable too. Is Usain Bolt a better athlete than Mo Farrah? Could Usain Bolt run 10,000m? Could Mo Farrah run under 10 seconds for 100m?

No

Likewise, does the engine of Paddy Cregg destroy defences and carve out goal scoring opportunitie? Does the muscle and burst of speed of Hasslebaink break down opposition moves time after time?

The 'total footballer' is a myth.

One example was when he didn't track Gordon and let him get between himself and Scobbie - making scobbie go to the ball and letting his man in behind, with Wright having to come over and cover and give away a corner - that's just a small example but that time when he switches off could by costly

But Wright and Scobbie are more than capable of covering such a situation, when Nigel has made a lung busting run and hasn't recovered quickly enough to cover a counter. It's a team of 11 players Mark, not Nigel playing on his own and the other 10 watching.

Hasselbaink has started the season very well. Especially in Trondheim. With more playing time and more faith from the management he's definitely shown that he is capable of playing to a high standard so now he has to prove he can keep it up over a run of games.

For what it's worth I think he should definitely be fitter, but that will come with playing more games and working as hard as he did on Saturday. That must be one of the only times he's managed a full 90 mins for us?

Edwards is good at running the ball out of play and straight into a man,. I missed the County game but I am yet to see ANY end product from the guy.

I'm sure if you polled the SPL managers on which of the two players they'd rather have you'd get a pretty conclusive answerl.

I see Nigel made the STV team of the week, with Wotherspoon and Cap'n Dave also included.

Saw that too but I'm surprised May isn't in the list as it seems to be made mainly of people who scored at the weekend. I'm sure May contributed more that Boyd....seeing as the latter lashed out and got sent off.

Just shows how misleading stats can be. Guess over the season though this sort of analysis will give a decent picture of who a team's best players are.

• 2 months later...

Nigel has been very consistent all season and deserves a lot of praise for the development of a more workmanlike quality to complement his agile attacking play. Yesterday was surely his best performance so far. Well done Nigel, and keep it going!

St%20Johnstone%20v%20Celtic-1719184.jpg

Wish his little flick on the sideline hasn't been blocked, we'd have been replaying that clip for weeks.

Quality little player who we are lucky to have. His best performance up front but I think he's been just as good on the wing before!