Saints Vs Hibernian 14/09/13

David123

We were way worse today than we were against. Dundee Utd or Aberdeen.

To answer some points above, the physio clearly said Frazer was finished to the bench, only after the sub was committed did Frazer seem to want to stay on.

MacLean was surely hooked because he had the red mist and was going off one way or another. He (and Nigel) were persistently fouled for the whole match, but the ref was determined to protect the defenders. MacLean got three elbows in the back in about a minute, and lost the plot.

May played some good stuff, and tracking back was the best we had in terms of breaking up Hibs. That's how bad our midfield was.

Scobbie hit some of the worst passes I've ever seen at a football match. Obviously spurred on by his brilliant ball for Nigel in Aberdeen, he went for it every time. If you've played the one in a million ball, accept it won't work every time.

Really really poor effort. Disappointed, not because we lost, but because I didn't think we could play that badly.

Deserved defeat.

We were dreadful, almost (almost) as bad as the performances at Kilmarnock and United. The first half was actually decent, we pung the ball about at a decent speed and caused the nervous looking Hibs defence problems while completely negating their attack. Then of course we let in a scrappy goal that hit the post and got blocked about three times before actually getting knocked in. For some reason we come out after half time and completely change our style of play. I've no idea if it was managers instructions or whether the players just took it upon themselves but we decided that big punts up the field would be far more effective than the passing game that had gotten us the goal and the upper hand of the match. Utterly Baffling but not all surprised

Once again we see that 4-4-2 just doesn't work. I've said it for over a year now, that when we play that way we lose the midfield and lose control. Yet Tommy Wright, a qualified manager, is completely unable to see whats staring him in the face. The midfield doesn't have the quality, or mobility, to play as a flat four. And when one of the four is Hasselbaink then you're on a hiding to nothing. The baffling inability to realise our strength is in a five man midfield is strange, considering he was here last season when the team proved we play better in that formation, yet the manager clearly doesn't have the guts to drop MacLean or May so we're left sacrificing the midfield. It's incredibly obvious aswell. How many times did Cregg get dragged out to the left as Hasselbaink never tracked, leaving big gaping holes everywhere in front of the defence, which eventually got exploited. 

Subbing off Wright was also odd, as common practice would be to wait and see if the defensive lynchpin of your side could continue. Instead we tell the officials about the sub before the physio has even talked to him. Still not entirely sure what Edwards actually brings to the table, while Fallon simply isn't the player we seem to be hoping he is, never a target man.

Hibs were far better than us in the second half. Ran us completely ragged, and will finish top six if they continue to play like that

After considering all our performances this season, we look like we'll struggle to join them. We're ****ed if May gets injured

Physio signed to dugout that Wright was fecked.I think the game changed when Fraz went off as he had Hefferman in his pocket.After that Hefferman was controlling the ball & laying it off to their £200k striker who was pish til then.

Don`t know why Wright brought Edwards back as he only had one 15 min spell for us that was any good last season.

First half ok & probably should have had the game tied up.Would like to see Mays pen claim again as I thought he was brought down.If the ref gave them a free kick because he dived then why wasn`t he booked.

Second half we didn`t look interested.

I am a great McLean fan but he hasn`t been doing it this season.Don`t think the way we are playing this season suits him.

Their centre halfs were going through May & McLean all game & the ref let them away with it ,even penalising May. Given that we still didn`t change it thinking bringing Fallon on would help. It DIDN`T

Nelson should have been off today. Booked, constant elbowing an then to synically take out Wotherspoop in front of the ref.

But then I'm still fuming at Madden's performance. As one sided a display of favouritism as you'll ever see. Disgusting tbh.

I'll take about saints when I've actually calmed down.

Don't want to single out players but starting to get worried about Wotherspoon.

Fine when things are good, hides when there now.

Don't agree. When he's good he stands out as our most skilful player, and can run the game from midfield. When he's having an off game he can be extremely average, but I would never accuse him of hiding. He still goes 100% for every challenge and tries to make things happen.

He certainly showed in the Ross County and Rosenborg games that he can be a brilliant player.

Far too many long balls especially in the 2nd half. The long ball can work when May has space to run into but not as our only plan.

We looked the better team early on when we did pass the ball.

It pains me to say it but Hibs were far better than I expected. Maybe we were guilty of underestimating them.

Edwards is not the answer, either is Fallon

I would rather see Caddis and Kane on the bench and coming on than that pair.

I was raging at MacLean (who I really rate) when he went into the back of Liam. It was nothing short of pathetic and made all the worse because he had done next to nothing useful in the game.

Nige was everything that is frustrating about Nige today...

May has a lot to learn. Oh how we laughed when he sent that volley over the north stand roof. I turned to my mates and said "I hope we don't look back on that and regret it' because he had plenty time to bring it down...it wasn't funny, it was embarrassing. Some of May's challenges are just a waste of time....this stupid leg out jump he does....he would be better sitting off the defender and hoping to pick up on a bad header 

I actually thought the defence were okay....we lost the game in midfield, although Cregg for me done okay most of the time....not wasteful in possession, broke things up, but was trying to cover Nigel "think I will stroll about looking not interested" Hasselbank.....who's runs that many refer to were today mostly useless....he looked happy to be running alongside the defenders rather than trying to run past them

Ach, I could rant on (prob about TW and how he needs to show us again that he is all we have painted him to be),but I'm too tired and too pissed off

Edwards is not the answer, either is Fallon

I would rather see Caddis and Kane on the bench and coming on than that pair.

I was raging at MacLean (who I really rate) when he went into the back of Liam. It was nothing short of pathetic and made all the worse because he had done next to nothing useful in the game.

Nige was everything that is frustrating about Nige today...

May has a lot to learn. Oh how we laughed when he sent that volley over the north stand roof. I turned to my mates and said "I hope we don't look back on that and regret it' because he had plenty time to bring it down...it wasn't funny, it was embarrassing. Some of May's challenges are just a waste of time....this stupid leg out jump he does....he would be better sitting off the defender and hoping to pick up on a bad header 

I actually thought the defence were okay....we lost the game in midfield, although Cregg for me done okay most of the time....not wasteful in possession, broke things up, but was trying to cover Nigel "think I will stroll about looking not interested" Hasselbank.....who's runs that many refer to were today mostly useless....he looked happy to be running alongside the defenders rather than trying to run past them

Ach, I could rant on (prob about TW and how he needs to show us again that he is all we have painted him to be),but I'm too tired and too pissed off

Earlier post about Wotherspoon had me in stitches. Yeah he was poor in the second half but so was the whole team. Really poor midfield through to final third and the depth of our squad worries me.

First half hour Hibs were not in it, but after that we were honkin and for the first time in a while the fight that we are used too was not there.

Mannus and May will be targets in January.

But lets not get to carried away. Two great seasons, it can't go on for a team like us but we will be fine.

It's the fight and motivation that will in us games. All the teams in the league are of pretty similar standard, with a bit of extra quality at a few clubs. It's frustrating that the players have two weeks off and can't get up for the game like it's life or death like the rosenburg game. Still missing another 3 quality players.

Hate the 442 that Tommy Wright insists in playing - that formation is no longer effective i modern day football . . Please try a last seasons 451 ( 433 ) or a 4231 however I do appreciate how hard it would be for the gaffer to drop Maclean or May . 

Edited by jfk