Throwing It Away!

Dave Ferg

On a match day Alec Clelland sits up in the Directors Box with a pen and pad doing an analysis of what we're about.

Alec, have you noticed how dreadfully pish we are at losing possession at throw-ins? Forget the fact that we are inept at any form of creative play from a shy but 9 times out of 10 we would be as well letting the other team take it!

This isn't a new thing, it's been this way for ages and is surely something we can improve?

Grrrr.............

Today was an off day - we will get more and more off days as the season progresses and win our fair share of close games -thats football and for the really old buggers amongst us its something we have been used to over the years.

Didnt think Hibs were any better than we were and how often do you hear a Hibs crowd being so quiet apart from the Pyro show that must have had some in the East Stand creaming their pants.

Yeah it would be great to buy a few decent players BUT we could argue that the guys we have are more than capable of getting us up there to the top 3/4 again.

Surely the players have got this European hangover out of their system or are they still smarting over the Minsk shoot-out ?

• 1 year later...

It's not about the throw in, it's about the movement.

You create movement, you create space, you create space, you create time, you create options to pass.

To many players stand want the ball at there feet facing the thrower.

The only option they then have is to hopefully knock it back to them for the big punt up field. 

MOVEMENT

• 3 years later...

I know what you mean, Dave. It always struck me that we were shit at throw-ins. But then I thought, "so is everyone else." I'm coming to the conclusion it's easier to be the defending team at throw-ins than the team with the throw-in. I guess the first receiver tends to have his back to the opposition and it's easy for them to harry him. Watch it on the weekend footie. How many teams are really comfortable with the ball at throw-ins?

Although I do agree we seem to be particularly bad at it...

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2015 at 5:41 PM, Dave Ferg said:

Surely there must be some basic way we can retain possession from throw-ins?

Constantly waiting for the right or left back to take a throw means we lose momentum and tempo.

Ach, it's my pet hate......

That was a first for me today, seeing a player throw the ball out of play (twice). Our shys are shambolic.

32 minutes ago, Dave Ferg said:

That was a first for me today, seeing a player throw the ball out of play (twice). Our shys are shambolic.

Agreed. We always lose possession at throw ins.

What annoys me most is the amount of times we allow the ball to go out for a throw when they could easily have caught it & set up play.

Today Joe ran alongside the ball for about 20 yards & let it roll out for a throw when he had lots of time to take the ball under control & set up play.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

Agreed. We always lose possession at throw ins.

What annoys me most is the amount of times we allow the ball to go out for a throw when they could easily have caught it & set up play.

Today Joe ran alongside the ball for about 20 yards & let it roll out for a throw when he had lots of time to take the ball under control & set up play.

And then could have just thrown it to Foster but ran infield and let Foster take it. 

Having said that, I’ve not noticed that we are any better/worse than anyone else. ((Apart from the Foster/Spoony comedy show yesterday)).