A Lackluster Murray Davidson

jfk

I think the problem across our midfield is that nobody seems comfortable or confident in their own position and all four of them are running around like headless chickens, following the ball and trying to be everywhere instead of holding heir own positions. They need to hold a more solid line. It is chaotic. I actually felt Murray was the one trying to be everywhere today, trying to break up the Thistle movement but ultimately that detracts from what he is really good at. He is a fantastic box to box midfielder but he's constantly playing left to right at the moment trying to regain possession for us in the middle.

Shocking today, not only looks unfit, but even more worrying is that he looks uninterested.

His booking was pathetic, a stupid foul on the half way line and he just wandered away and accepted the card like he didn't care.

Give someone else a chance (McDonald)?, and invite Muzz back when he's up for it again.

that stopped the jags fae mounting an attack. didnae see he had much option there took ane for the team. but yeah hes a shadow of hes former self.

Everyone seems to be pouncing on Muzz. MacDonald was excellent today, and Muzz has had a few below par games, but I think more importantly today that Millar replaced Paddy and played a blinder.

Look at the MOTM table - all of our good performances this year have featured lots of votes for either Paddy or Millar in that position.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Everyone seems to be pouncing on Muzz. MacDonald was excellent today, and Muzz has had a few games, but I think more importantly today that Millar replaced Paddy and played a blinder.

Look at the MOTM table - all of our good performances this year have featured lots of votes for either Paddy or Millar in that position.

thought Millar played a blinder the day and would have got mom if it wasnae for that pesky kid (may).

The problem is not Murray Davidson, it's Murray Davidson and Paddy Cregg playing together.

I understand that sometimes TW feels we need a more defensive set up but I would rather we dropped one of the strikers and went five across the middle than play those two in the middle of a midfield four. There is absolutely no creativity between them so the defence punts balls over the top of them to try and feed the strikers and that just doesn't work for us.

I think a lot has to do with how great Cregg was until the Dundee United game. He was our best player at that stage, and then went off the boil badly. Each game has been progressively better, but nowhere near his performance in the two Euro games.

Millar yesterday was as good as paddy was at the start of the season.

I respect TWs reluctance to resort to knee jerk reactions. He has a tough decision with Scobbie and Easton, but has given each a run of several games to prove themselves, not just one or two. It means they can settle without pressure and show what they are capable if.

I think he had to give paddy a chance to regain his form, but it didn't materialise so he's gone with the change. Millar might also have a dip in form and paddy will be champing at the bit to regain his place.

Good man management in a small but competitive squad.

Edited by montrosesaintee

The problem is not Murray Davidson, it's Murray Davidson and Paddy Cregg playing together.

I understand that sometimes TW feels we need a more defensive set up but I would rather we dropped one of the strikers and went five across the middle than play those two in the middle of a midfield four. There is absolutely no creativity between them so the defence punts balls over the top of them to try and feed the strikers and that just doesn't work for us.

The problem is Murray Davidson and the fact he isn't a great ball retainer in a 4-4-2, put Cregg in with any other central midfielder and there is no problem. There isn't a huge amount of creativity (by creativity I mean splitting passes, moments of individual skill opening defences or even times runs into the oppositiin area) between Millar and McDonald, they simply keep the ball and give it to our creative "four forward players". They hold position and refrain from headless chicken runs that can leave big gaps in a central 2.

Our four attacking players are all what I'd call "click" players..... When given the ball to feet regularly they are all a handful in their own ways- take away good possesion play from our midfielders and they won't create much out of nothing.

The problem is Murray Davidson and the fact he isn't a great ball retainer in a 4-4-2, put Cregg in with any other central midfielder and there is no problem. There isn't a huge amount of creativity (by creativity I mean splitting passes, moments of individual skill opening defences or even times runs into the oppositiin area) between Millar and McDonald, they simply keep the ball and give it to our creative "four forward players". They hold position and refrain from headless chicken runs that can leave big gaps in a central 2.

Our four attacking players are all what I'd call "click" players..... When given the ball to feet regularly they are all a handful in their own ways- take away good possesion play from our midfielders and they won't create much out of nothing.

My point wasn't that Cregg is the problem. It's the two of them playing together.

How times change .

Murray hasn't had a full pre season and had niggly injuries but a lot on here are ripping right into him . Murray Davidson is a BRILLIANT football player , a slight dip in form ( partly caused by above reasons ) is nothing to worry about . Think some short sighted forumers should be less knicker wetter and get right behind the big lad . COYS .

Short memories on display in some of the posts above. There is definitely a debate to be had over whether Davidson should in the team currently but he's not become a bad player overnight, instead he appears to be suffering physically at the moment and that's always going to have a big impact on someone who plays in the manner he does.

When he does get himself fully fit and sharp again, you can be almost certain he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet again. Who wouldn't want a player that wins tackles, wins headers, makes passes, creates goals and scores goals in their side? Other midfielders at the club can maybe match him in individual facets but in terms of a complete player, Davidson is the best midfielder we have and one of the best in the country.

Totally agree.  Apparently the posts above has been reinterpreted, and posted on twitter, as 'WAP's opinion is that the problem with Murray Davidson is Paddy Cregg'.  I love that our former member remains so bitter that he has to post things like that.

Muzz is a fabulous player, and will undoubtedly feature significantly in the team once whatever niggle it is that is keeping him from finding his best form is addressed.  

Totally agree.  Apparently the posts above has been reinterpreted, and posted on twitter, as 'WAP's opinion is that the problem with Murray Davidson is Paddy Cregg'.  I love that our former member remains so bitter that he has to post things like that.

Muzz is a fabulous player, and will undoubtedly feature significantly in the team once whatever niggle it is that is keeping him from finding his best form is addressed.  

Mmm....I know some folk on here know said former poster and say he is a decent enough chap. Everything I hear about him suggests he is a wank of the highest order

You even get a personal mention in his discussion Ed

"Well there's Ghostie, Mainstand and Edstar #threewisemenofwap"

Ha, really? :laugh:  What a pr1ck :roll:

I didn't even say anything remotely similar to that either!!

I don't do Twitter either so he can enjoy being the smart arse he thinks he is without any comeback. I'm sure our paths will cross one day though mind :wink: