Chris "midgey" Millar - An Appreciation

Dave Ferg

Immense on Saturday, never seen him play a better game for Saints. Still heard a couple of tubes trying to give him a hard time at the start of the game but he brilliantly shut them up. 

Had the pleasure of speaking to him at the Hall of Fame Dinner and he is an absolute credit to Saints.

Really glad his boy-band career failed!

Chris Millar is a tremendous professional who has been an excellent servant to St Johnstone. He was part of the promotion team, been in the team that reached numerous national Semi finals and has been a mainstay in the team since he signed - a team which has been to Europe two years in a row.

We'll be a much worse off when he does eventually leave us - his engine is ridiculous.

What is immense is my source of frustration and bemusement at the fact there are fans who not only don't rate Chris Millar but actively malign and abuse him. For me, Saturday was no different to the way he usually plays, getting on the ball, winning tackles and helping us move in the right direction.

Feel that Chris Millar and what he contributes has been covered to death all over the forum already, but, hey-ho, another thread for him :cool:

All I know is that he is rubbish at working keycard locks to hotel rooms when he is drunk :shock:

I'm saying nothing else :huh:

Am sure Fair Maid will forgive you       Given time

In all seriousness, wee Chris is a great player to have at the club. When used in a role like he was on Saturday, he is very effective. ALWAYS gives his all for the team, regardless of where he is asked to play. You never read about him bitching or moaning about whether he is playing or not, or about the management or other players and he never seems to get too big for his boots or think he is something that he is not.

Yes, I have issues with his goalscoring and assist stats (and that is why he is sometimes frustrating when playing right midfield), but, as folk have said before, if he was great at those as well, then he wouldn't be with us.

What is immense is my source of frustration and bemusement at the fact there are fans who not only don't rate Chris Millar but actively malign and abuse him. For me, Saturday was no different to the way he usually plays, getting on the ball, winning tackles and helping us move in the right direction.

I thought Saturday was easily his best game in a Saints shirt. He was deployed in precisely the right position, but crucially with players around him that allowed him to concentrate on his game. He wasn't needing to get out wide on either side or try to be an attacking force, which he isn't. But he did everything perfectly and even added a bit of aggression that is sometimes lacking. That header he won was Murray Davidson-esque!

Immense on Saturday, never seen him play a better game for Saints. Still heard a couple of tubes trying to give him a hard time at the start of the game but he brilliantly shut them up. 

Had the pleasure of speaking to him at the Hall of Fame Dinner and he is an absolute credit to Saints.

Really glad his boy-band career failed!

Don't forget his header Dave!

Being shown a clip of that would be far better than a dozen motivational speeches!

The difference between his performances in the last two games was incredible.  Against Patrick he was terrible, probably his worst game for us and the only time I have ever given him some stick.  Against ICT he was immense, probably his best game for us.  Overall I love having the guy at the club - a truly superb player.

He reads the game pretty well, but this is often his downfall, as he is guilty of trying to do everything.  On Saturday the shape of the team, and everyone playing well, meant he could play his best role brilliantly, without continuously trying to cover for others.  

I'm really encouraged with his positivity going forward though. I think TW must have convinced him to take players on more often, because his old habit of getting to the 18 yard line and panicking and going backwards or desperately looking to dispose of the ball seems to have disappeared.  He's made a few runs to the by-line and made space for a shot on goal more than once in the last couple of games.  With that. goals and assists will surely follow.

Used to dislike Chris as a player but that was when Jody was here :shock:

Despite promotion and challenging for top six we went from the team whose matches saw the most goals scored in all our games in a season to the lowest scoring team in the top division, maybe ever?

He has improved in my eyes, but isn't helped when played out wide as he was v Thistle.

You wouldn't believe it was the same player from last week to this, such was the difference in quality and performance.

As for actively maligning and abusing, I'd always leave that to the many idiots in our number.

Think he is the 'Marmite Man' of St Johnstone! Love or hate nothing in the middle. I agree with previous posts in that he has a good engine, and has a superb work rate! I like him, just a pity he is a bit lightweight. Mind you he had a couple of tackles on Saturday which made me take a sharp intake of breath, or was it just the shock of him tackling!? Seriously no one can doubt his commitment!

Hate reading posts where folk are relating tales of folk lambasting him from the stands! No need for that.

Keep up the good work Midge!

Think he is the 'Marmite Man' of St Johnstone! Love or hate nothing in the middle. I agree with previous posts in that he has a good engine, and has a superb work rate! I like him, just a pity he is a bit lightweight. Mind you he had a couple of tackles on Saturday which made me take a sharp intake of breath, or was it just the shock of him tackling!? Seriously no one can doubt his commitment!

Hate reading posts where folk are relating tales of folk lambasting him from the stands! No need for that.

Keep up the good work Midge!

Nothing marmite about him....I know nobody that hates him and have seen nothing on here that suggests otherwise.

What I see is some who wont have a bad word said about him and some who now and then point out the parts of his game that are perhaps lacking (whilst still appreciating the good things he does do for the team). That aint love or hate

Think the last 2 games in particular Midge has been absolutely fantastic. Great to have so much competition for places in midfield that sees guys like Murray Davidson and Paddy Cregg on the bench. We all know Murray is a top footballer and I think Paddy was our best player during the Europa League run, so to have so many top quality midfielders all vying for a place in the starting XI will only make them all work really hard when they get their chance like Midge is doing. McDonald was also class on Saturday.

Think the last 2 games in particular Midge has been absolutely fantastic. Great to have so much competition for places in midfield that sees guys like Murray Davidson and Paddy Cregg on the bench. We all know Murray is a top footballer and I think Paddy was our best player during the Europa League run, so to have so many top quality midfielders all vying for a place in the starting XI will only make them all work really hard when they get their chance like Midge is doing. McDonald was also class on Saturday.

Hugely impressive midfield squad. Best I can ever remember.

Edited by AthensSaint