Chris "midgey" Millar - An Appreciation

Dave Ferg

He played 22 out of a possible 46 last season so he played in less than Half the games, I support the club in all instances 

The coaching and management team pick the best side every Saturday. If this does not include a club legend that has graced our club for some years, then so be it. Only comment that I have seen is one by Chris Millar on Social Media somewhere and it was a pretty benign message.

I don't think the club needs to explain who does not get selected.

Edited by Saintdunc

I'd much rather a half fit Midge who maybe only plays 20 games per season than say a Liam Craig who may only play 20 games too via selection or a squad player. When fit, Millar can control a game in a way no other player in our team can.

Also, I suspect off the pitch he is very influential and a sort of mentor/coach to others.

I'd imagine he'll be on a pretty low wage and topped up with appearance money, so to let him go, I don't think would save just too much.

Dont get me wrong, we shouldn't just keep someone out of sentiment, but I suspect he is one of those around the club that holds it all together. When you hear the likes of MOH talking about it being a family club etc, sometimes that can get more out of players than just coaching and tactics alone.

Just a suggestion, but if he's not fit, why not use his degree and get him involved in the media side of things a bit more? 

Whose side are you on MS. Where is the glass half full & everything in the garden is rosey.

:laugh:

Not on anyone's side cagey. Chris has done well at the club but having seen him at training last week I do not believe he is fit. 

I know HAD says he is and she appears to be quite close to him so I will believe her. It does however contradict someone told me a fortnight ago and that person is close to him.

If he moves on then so be it. No one is here for ever. 

I'd much rather a half fit Midge who maybe only plays 20 games per season than say a Liam Craig who may only play 20 games too via selection or a squad player. When fit, Millar can control a game in a way no other player in our team can.

Also, I suspect off the pitch he is very influential and a sort of mentor/coach to others.

I'd imagine he'll be on a pretty low wage and topped up with appearance money, so to let him go, I don't think would save just too much.

Dont get me wrong, we shouldn't just keep someone out of sentiment, but I suspect he is one of those around the club that holds it all together. When you hear the likes of MOH talking about it being a family club etc, sometimes that can get more out of players than just coaching and tactics alone.

Just a suggestion, but if he's not fit, why not use his degree and get him involved in the media side of things a bit more? 

Craig has been unimpressive so far this season & looks slow & carrrying a bit of weight in comparison with years gone by. Frankly I was surprised when he was given a 2 year extension - bet he bit their hand off when offered it.

Not often you see tommy go into his shell during these interviews but he wasn't comfortable talking about that, was he?

Agree but perhaps he wanted to have it all cut and dried before any announcement was made.

As manager he has to make tough decisions for the benefit of the club.

If such a decision is telling a supporters hero, whose career due to age and recent injury record is on the wain then well done Tommy and all the best Chris and thanks for your past endeavours.

So in a nutshell - He triggered a clause in his contract (possibly playing over 20 games) and got a new deal? But the Gaffer doesn't really need him now

By the sounds of things TW wasn't convinced about him getting a new deal so was leaving him out to avoid him triggering it, before giving him the run of games he needed to trigger it, guesswork obviously but his comments about speaking to him since last season about his reduced role in the squad seems to suggest that to me. 

Sad to see him go but the season before last he was a liability due to injuries, and if TW has lost confidence in him due to it then it's understandable. 

Tommy was honest and reading between the lines things hinge on the lack of a guarantee of first team football I suppose he is on a fair wage as well so all in all don't see how he has been badly treated

Exactly, Lets be honest he is training, Making himself available and is getting paid so its not like we are telling him to train with the U14's and docking his wages

Think TW said it all really, Players like Midge and at his stage in his career need to be playing games as there is not too many years left so enjoy game time as much he can, I would think he will be a sought after player in the championship.

Liam (in a similar situation really) I would imagine had a fright a couple of years back when he was available and nothing came about for him, so he maybe was willing to accept anything he got here to resign and be a back up player and get at least a wage. 

Time and life goes on,I was a bit disappointed when we let Henry Hall leave for a fucjking nothing, but hey- ho we won the Scottish Cup after that and qualified for Europe 6 times, yes life goes on.    

Gutted for Midge but it's been coming for a while. Great servant great midfielder and a cup winning legend. 

Oh and as I said. It wasn't shite.

Not sure anyone said you were speaking shite HSF. Just posts asking for more info and getting snappy replies.

Is there more to this than Tommy's making out in that interview? It must have been going on for months

Not sure anyone said you were speaking shite HSF. Just posts asking for more info and getting snappy replies.

Is there more to this than Tommy's making out in that interview? It must have been going on for months

There was plenty. 

It's been going on since the middle of last season. They didn't want to extend his contract which is why he didn't play for a while. He wasn't injured. Eventually sorted contract issue (issue with wages AFAIK) and then he started playing again. Since then though I don't think he's really been wanted.