Chris "midgey" Millar - An Appreciation

Dave Ferg

Gutted by this but not surprised as its been clear for a while he's not been wanted. The strange thing for me is i still think he's our best central midfielder. Paton/Craig/Davidson don't use the ball as well and he's never trusted Alston in the middle despite what he said in that clip. If Millar goes i'd say we need to bring someone in.

I think the spell that Millar went through where he went off early in several games done the damage for him though. 

Anyway, hes still an absolute legend in my eyes and easily one of my favourite players watching Saints over the last 30 years. Hope he finds a good club.

Edited by Broon

Gutted by this but not surprised as its been clear for a while he's not been wanted. The strange thing for me is i still think he's our best central midfielder. Paton/Craig/Davidson don't use the ball as well and he's never trusted Alston in the middle despite what he said in that clip. If Millar goes i'd say we need to bring someone in.

I think the spell that Millar went through where he went off early in several games done the damage for him though. 

Anyway, hes still an absolute legend in my eyes and easily one of my favourite players watching Saints over the last 30 years. Hope he finds a good club.

Totally agree. I think he is still our best midfielder. Spoony has been immense this season, but can blow hot and cold a bit.

I wonder if the lack of pre season time off for so many years when we have been in Europe has taken its toll to an extent on Midge.

Unforunately, we will be seeing more of this in the next few years. The stalwarts who have been the backbone of the team for the last few years are aging and we will see less and less of them. Don't care how fit someone is, once you get past 30, niggles take their toll and recovering from games and minor injuries takes a lot longer.

Would love to take the Dutch approach and keep these guys at the club long term as coaches as Millar, Macca, Anderson, Craig etc are good pros and are great roll models for the younger players on and off the pitch. However finances will dictate that we just cannot afford such luxuries. 

For Millar, I'd love to see him end up at Morton. I know it is a club close to his heart and he'd do a fantastic job for them.

Edited by TheYellowBox

You can't disagree with anything Tommy said in his interview. The Club have no doubt been forced into making an announcement due to the speculation over his future.

Tommy had to what a decision over Fraser Wright and did it in the same way. The fact that Midge has been given a testimonial by the Club says a lot for the Club. 

Despite the stories to the contrary I see Tommy did confirm that he was injured at the start of the season. 

As they say life moves on and new players will come and players will go but what Midge and the rest of the squad achieved will never be taken away. 

Good luck Midge. 

A shame to see his Saints career appartently end this way. However, if he doesn't get another club and we get some injuries, we may not have seen the last of Chris.

I can understand this from a club point of view, there has to be a time when players evenutally move on. There is no doubt he will go down as one of the best players in what is our best ever spells as a club.

Wish him all the best.

Sad to see him go. Only Anderson and Davidson left of the core that started it all its been some journey. 

Best thing we can do is use that wage to get that other jewel, or to be honest find the next midge. We don't have a player that can Harry and hold onto the ball calm things down and play people in like he can

:laugh: What's your thoughts on a Pates/Craig midfield partnership again?

I didn't like it in theory but it was a partnership that saw us play very well at the end of last season. 

I find it odd how every other central midfielder we have now is instantly being classed as a headless cloggers with no ability, while Millar has turned into Xavi, purely because Millar hasn't been playing. We seem short of players who'll take the ball off centre halves and drive forward with it, but that's exactly what Wotherspoon is when he plays in there. 

Fwiw Craig was a huge part of Swansons form, his willingness to cover the left flank aswell as the centre allowed Swanson a free role. 

Edited by RandomGuy

Craig was first choice for the majority of last season, I've no idea why everyone's suddenly turning on him. 

I didn't like it in theory but it was a partnership that saw us play very well at the end of last season. 

I find it odd how every other central midfielder we have now is instantly being classed as a headless cloggers with no ability, while Millar has turned into Xavi, purely because Millar hasn't been playing. We seem short of players who'll take the ball off centre halves and drive forward with it, but that's exactly what Wotherspoon is when he plays in there. 

Fwiw Craig was a huge part of Swansons form, his willingness to cover the left flank aswell as the centre allowed Swanson a free role. 

Millar is being told to leave because it's felt there's no place for him in the team, is it not then natural for people to compare his ability to that of the ones the club have chosen to hang onto.

Disagree about Spoony, he's a completely different type of player. He's better further forward creating things.  Being a sitting midfielder would not be playing to his strength, and he would always have the occasional crazy moment in him. 

Millar is being told to leave because it's felt there's no place for him in the team, is it not then natural for people to compare his ability to that of the ones the club have chosen to hang onto.

Disagree about Spoony, he's a completely different type of player. He's better further forward creating things.  Being a sitting midfielder would not be playing to his strength, and he would always have the occasional crazy moment in him. 

Fair enough to compare their abilities but you also have to compare their age, fitness levels and injury stats.

Chris will find a club and move on at a  lower level and no doubt make a name r himself in the media and maybe coaching. 

No problem with comparing the players. Most aren't comparing them though, a lot of comments now about Craig being shite, not being anywhere near a starter and not deserving a contract.

A player who's played over 300 games for us, not far off Millars total I don't think. 

If you think Millar is better than Craig then fine, but let's not start turning on Craig purely because the manager prefers him, he's been a great player for us aswell. 

No problem with comparing the players. Most aren't comparing them though, a lot of comments now about Craig being shite, not being anywhere near a starter and not deserving a contract.

A player who's played over 300 games for us, not far off Millars total I don't think. 

If you think Millar is better than Craig then fine, but let's not start turning on Craig purely because the manager prefers him, he's been a great player for us aswell. 

Don't always agree with you Random but on this occasion Hear Hear.

Has anyone turned on Liam Craig?!  I think I read one person say he shouldn't have been given a 2 year contract, was there more that I missed?

Let's not twist things here.

I like him, he's been a great player for Saints and is still a decent squad player now.      

But if, as the manager implies, it's a straightforward decision that we can't keep one of our 4 'holding' midfielders then I would keep Davidson and Millar and one of Paton and Craig.  As Paton is currently first choice, Craig is the one that's left.  That was it.

Anyway, the Manager's made his decision and that's that.

Liam Craig should have been moved on. Yes he's was a great player for saints, but he's a shadow of the player he was and is constantly giving the ball away. In the same way Millar was a great player for saints, but can now no longer be relied on to play a whole match. 

Just because these guys are legends at the club doesn't make their status unquestionable. With an aging squad tough choices have to be made and clearing out the old campaigners and guys who've seen it all, is a necessary evil. Nobody is going to forget what the guys have done for saints, nor should performances later on on their careers change the way they're views. But for me, in order to move on as a club, the likes of Millar, Craig, MacLean eventually, Anderson eventually and Mannus, etc. Will need to be shown the door. I've no issue with Millar being told he's free to find a new club, it's a tough choice, but if it means we bring in someone for next season who's 10 years younger then it's the correct decision. 

Liam Craig should have been moved on. Yes he's was a great player for saints, but he's a shadow of the player he was and is constantly giving the ball away. In the same way Millar was a great player for saints, but can now no longer be relied on to play a whole match. 

Just because these guys are legends at the club doesn't make their status unquestionable. With an aging squad tough choices have to be made and clearing out the old campaigners and guys who've seen it all, is a necessary evil. Nobody is going to forget what the guys have done for saints, nor should performances later on on their careers change the way they're views. But for me, in order to move on as a club, the likes of Millar, Craig, MacLean eventually, Anderson eventually and Mannus, etc. Will need to be shown the door. I've no issue with Millar being told he's free to find a new club, it's a tough choice, but if it means we bring in someone for next season who's 10 years younger then it's the correct decision. 

Agree, if a player is no longer capable then he shouldn't be given a contract simply out of loyalty.

However, watching Millar against Sunderland and home leg v Trakai, i would say he's far from past it, and still one of our best central midfielders.

Anyway, i keep getting drawn back in to Midgegate, hopefully that's me done now!

Agree, if a player is no longer capable then he shouldn't be given a contract simply out of loyalty.

However, watching Millar against Sunderland and home leg v Trakai, i would say he's far from past it, and still one of our best central midfielders.

Anyway, i keep getting drawn back in to Midgegate, hopefully that's me done now!

I don't think his ability is in doubt at all. I think it's his physical capability that is. He may be fit, but a fit Millar can only now do 60 minutes tops. If he was a game changer ala Swanson you'd accept that, but not a starting central midfielder unfortunately. I think it's the right decision, but been handled badly. 

May be I am putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. In Cyprus I get to listen to Radio Clyde sportsound all be it a day later. Midge has been on as a pundit a number of times and I read somewhere he has a degree in "sports journalisim." It may have been mutually agreed to give him the contract ensuring his testimonal with the conditions, he can leave for a lesser team and persue a new career while playing at a lower level of football in the West of Scotland.

Midge was, is and always will be a legend. Unfortunately all good things come to an end eventually and that time has arrived for Chris now. The club should not be placed in a situation where they are expected to offer new contracts to players purely because they played in the cup final. This season or possibly next will probably see the departure of Mannus, Macca and Anderson. We cannot keep on dreaming of a team of Dave MacKays (or Millars, MacLeans or Mays etc)............. we can of course dream but reality is different. Anyway thanks Midgey for your time at Saints with all the brilliant memories and good luck when you move on.