Celtic V St Johnstone 16/2/14 Ko 12:45

rik2304

Poor again from Tommy Wright. Simply can't change tactics and his subs are rotten. Poor show Tommy, must do better.

Positives? Easton was decent. O'halloran shows good feet at times. Dunne I'm sure will do a job though he faded later in the game. Hasslebaink created a chance.

Expectation levels too high imo, budgets are miles apart, anything here is a bonus,it's against the teams around us that counts, and we've performed well in the majority of those games

^ happy clapper shite

Our inability to even compete against teams like Aberdeen and Celtic shouldn't be just shrugged off

Edited by RandomGuy

Millar & McDonald in midfield WTF. 9 men behind the ball,why not 10 as May would as well not being there with the way we were set up.

Only time started playing ball to feet was in the last 5 mins when game was lost.

Did TW go out with the intentition of keeping the score down as it maybe should have been 6 due to the post & linesman.

Like Ando but we need a centre back that isn't afraid to face the ball.

My thoughts : 

It became apparent quite early on that our formation wasn't working. Celtic, for all their good passing play in the first half, didn't look particularly dangerous at all. We should stop fearing them and stop playing so defensively against them.

The defence was poor. We gave Celtic far too much space in the second-half.

The wingers (Croft and Wotherspoon) disappointed me today. They weren't anywhere near direct enough in an attacking sense. Constant sideways and backwards passing from the entirety of the midfield.

McDonald is a waste of a starting jersey. He constantly attempts to avoid the ball, even when he already has it at his feet (I don't know how it's even possible, but it's true).

Mannus obviously wasn't as sharp as we would have liked him to be, but he can't be at fault for too much and I don't think Banks would have dealt better with any of the goals. 

We were crying out for the introduction of O'Halloran and Hasselbaink at a far earlier stage of the game. These boys love to run forward with the ball and could have caused some real problems if we hadn't waited so long to put them on.

For me, Dunne was probably the most effective of the midfielders before tiring. I'd like to see him and Cregg both start the next match, but I highly doubt this will happen.

Stevie May should take no heed of what the commentator said. He has proved himself as a lone striker on many occasions in the past couple of seasons, so he's perfectly capable of playing that role when required. No lone striker is going to look good if he isn't receiving sufficient support from the midfield. It just didn't happen for him today.

All in all, a very disappointing performance with few positives to take from it. On a more positive note, everybody is losing to Celtic in the league at the moment so it isn't too huge a deal. A win against Inverness next week is a real necessity though.

^ happy clapper shite

Our inability to even compete against teams like Aberdeen and Celtic shouldn't be just shrugged off

Who's shrugging it off, I'm talking in reality , not some fantasy that we're such a big team that just turns teams over.I 'd say a 0-0 at Pittodrie shows on our day we can compete with anyone,sorry to disagree with your obvious wealth of knowledge, but if you want to take the pi$$ out of the type of fan I am, say it to my face u 39 in east stand

Expectation levels too high imo, budgets are miles apart, anything here is a bonus,it's against the teams around us that counts, and we've performed well in the majority of those games

-------------------------

For the past two or three seasons we've been going there and holding our own, and even winning. You might as well tell our fans not to bother making the effort to travel there if they shouldn't even expect that we could hold them the occasional 0-0.

Who's shrugging it off, I'm talking in reality , not some fantasy that we're such a big team that just turns teams over.I 'd say a 0-0 at Pittodrie shows on our day we can compete with anyone,sorry to disagree with your obvious wealth of knowledge, but if you want to take the pi$$ out of the type of fan I am, say it to my face u 39 in east stand

I'm saying that talk about budgets and the like shouldn't be used as an excuse for putting in such a shite performance. Every single time we go to Celtic Park, put everyone behind the ball, concede early and struggle to get a single shot near the goal. The one time we did attack, the seconde half of the earlier game this season, we looked good for a couple of goals and could easily have won. Its nothing to do with budgets why we lose, its purely shite tactics from the manager. To put it solely down to budgets is "happy clapper" style of comment as you seem reluctant to blame the manager or players of any sort of blame

Why does anyone have ti be to blame, we can be out played by better oppositionHoping and expecting are two different things, I go to every game in hope, not expectation, and seem to be able to come to terms with results better than some

Edited by dave mc

Hoping and expecting are two different things, I go to every game in hope, not expectation, and seem to be able to come to terms with results better than some

I just find it hugely frustrating how we repeat the same mistakes over and over again without any form of attempt at addressing it, our away form over this entire season has been down to poor tactics, today was just another blatant example of this

Feel really sorry for anyone that paid money to see that. Players were lacking passion and direction for the full 90 minutes. We should have been applying the pressure that Celtic did all over the park. Could have had Banks in goal and the score would not have been any difference. Defenders really need to close the ball down a lot quicker.

A shot on target would have been nice.

A total stroll for Celtic sadly.

That was pretty insipid piss from Saints. Thing is, we set out to try and not lose but lost badly ( although it could have been much worse). The biggest thing for me is not a single Saints shot on target. FFS , I don't actually expect us to ever get anything against Celtic at Parkhead but over the past few years  ( bar one game) we have proved incapable of trying  to keep a clean sheet so surely we would be as well giving it a go. I hate losing but more than that I hate  us being so negative and still losing. If we had lost 5-0 today but had at least   made their keeper and back four work, then , as much as I would  hav beeen pissed of we lost, I would at least  have been happy we gave it a go. Today we did the square root of **** all and  the managers starting 11  and, I suspect his and his teams attitude, meant we were beaten  before the game even kicked off. You can bet Popcorn gub and his bhoys saw our teamn sheet pre match and though, " this will be a piece of piss"..

We aint having anything like a bad seaon, in fact given our European exploits, our cup runs and our current league placing, I would say we are ( for a club of our resources) having yet another  belter of a season, but the facts are that  SOMETIMES we fail to show enough belief . This comes from the management team downwards. As someone said earlier, we need to look forward to what we can do to win games , rather than looking backwards and trying to work out how we can not lose a games, because  pretty much EVERY time, we DO lose these games..

Now  lets get stuck intae these highland savages.. :wink: