Saints Vs Aberdeen Scsf 12/13 April

David123

Was gutted when the draw came out. Any other season over the past 15 years would have bitten your hand off for TWO semi finals against aberdeen, however this year they seem far stronger.

But now I'm right into it, we owe them. They're decent and well organised but very beatable. We gave them 3 goals at the last semi and really helped to settle their nerves.

From the last semi-final cut out the silly individual errors, they really pressure you in centre midfield (think chris millar in game at mcd in December), good at set pieces and are excellent at counter attacking. So in my humble opinion, make sure we have a midfielder (dunne?) who sits and protects the back 4 all game. Don't dally on the ball too long in centre midfield. Have some pacey players left at the back when we have corners/ free kicks in their half so not to get outpaced on the break. Also attack them at a much higher tempo rather than passing it about in front of them because they like to get men behind the ball and sit in. nige and croft to run at them in wide areas as they don't like that, and more low driven balls into box as they are quite strong in the air. The big difference this time is Maclean.. Plenty passes into his feet to play off him and he will draw free kicks in their half as they do like to throw themselves into challenges in their defensive third.

I would start with pretty much the same team as v raith on Saturday.

I hope they bring 40000 again and we manage to fill the stand behind the goal, and when Stevie bangs one in we ram it right up them with a chorus of "who the **** is Stevie May?" As they took delight in singing at tynecastle.

It's only aberdeen. It's a scottish cup semi final to play against one of three other teams who are also very beatable for us in the final.. What an opportunity to make history and become a St Johnstone legend for the next 100 years!!

Doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what happened last time, every cup game is a one off occasion.

We will have Tam the Tank back in goal and Stevie Mac back in front of theirs.

We can win this game and as long as the players believe that we are sorted.

Of course we (the fans) have to believe this too, and get right behind the team from the start.

COYS lets tear them a new one!!!

Doesnt matter who we play really,admitedly Aberdeen have been the stronger recently but so what they have a bubble that can be burst. Our problem is getting over our semi final mental block first

Need to get behind the Team from start to finish, Fans need to stay till the end unlke tynecastle

First priority for this game is to learn from the last one. Too many players dwelling on the ball, the Sheep are quick to close down. Next, they kept quite a high line so lets' exploit that with some through balls into feet. I noticed also their back four sat back a bit so let's have some midfielders running at them with Macca and Stevie running the diagonals to spread their line thin. Finally, we need Mannus back in goal as two of their efforts last time were preventable. Unlike some, I stayed right till the end at Tyney despite the blizzard/rain, no matter how poorly our team plays it's demoralising for them to see fans leave early so I don't do it. COYS let's win that silver!!!

Edited by babychunder

First priority for this game is to learn from the last one. Too many players dwelling on the ball, the Sheep are quick to close down. Next, they kept quite a high line so lets' exploit that with some through balls into feet. I noticed also their back four sat back a bit so let's have some midfielders running at them with Macca and Stevie running the diagonals to spread their line thin. Finally, we need Mannus back in goal as two of their efforts last time were preventable. Unlike some, I stayed right till the end at Tyney despite the blizzard/rain, no matter how poorly our team plays it's demoralising for them to see fans leave early so I don't do it. COYS let's win that silver!!!

Spot on bc, hope arfw reads it

It's the tie I'm sure we would all have rather avoided but they are hardly Brazil '70.

For us to win though we need to do a few simple things -

1 - Pick the right team on the day. If all our midfielders are fit, then please Tommy don't start McDonald and Millar together. Our current defensive injuries may prove to be a blessing as we'll be forced into Mackay at CB and Miller at RB which should work better than the back four we had at Tynecastle. If Steve Maclean is fit he needs to start as well.

2 - We need to do the simple things. If a baw needs wellied into the stand, so be it. Keep it as simple as possible in the middle. We can maybe afford to give it away occasionally up front but not in the middle third like we did at Tynie.

3 - And of course, we'll need a wee bit of luck......

COYS!

0845 train from Dundee stopping at Perth 0905 arriving at Glasgow Queen St at 1014 is the only train I can see being available to saints fans. There is one that leaves 10 mins later for Edinburgh but means getting off at Larbert and jumping on the Edinburgh to Glasgow train which arrives at 1107.There is a train at 1106 from Perth but will be heaving with Aberdeen fans as its the only train that morning from there and gets in at 1214 to Queen St. There is a chance that you might not even get on the train if its too busy.

0845 train from Dundee stopping at Perth 0905 arriving at Glasgow Queen St at 1014 is the only train I can see being available to saints fans. There is one that leaves 10 mins later for Edinburgh but means getting off at Larbert and jumping on the Edinburgh to Glasgow train which arrives at 1107.There is a train at 1106 from Perth but will be heaving with Aberdeen fans as its the only train that morning from there and gets in at 1214 to Queen St. There is a chance that you might not even get on the train if its too busy.

Buses will be busy them

surely scotrail will put extra trains on for the day