Mcdiarmid Park

south inch

When the stadium was built, the capacity was 10,191: 

Main - about 3000,

East - 3600

Away - 1800

Ormond - 1800

After we won promotion to the Prem and the crowds were flocking to see Saints the club squeezed in an extra 500 or so seats giving the current capacity.  Not sure of the individual breakdowns but would have guessed add a hundred odd to each of those.

Some websites have dubious info, I just had a look at one called scottishfootballgrounds.co.uk which has our record McD attendance as 10,721 against Rangers in a Cup tie in Feb 1990 ???   Can anyone remember this game, or the one they might be talking about??  In our promotion season (1989-90) I remember a Scottish Cup tie away at Ibrox where we were beaten (3-0?) but not sure what they are on about...

Main - about 3000,

East - 3600

Away - 1800

Ormond - 1800

After we won promotion to the Prem and the crowds were flocking to see Saints the club squeezed in an extra 500 or so seats giving the current capacity.  Not sure of the individual breakdowns but would have guessed add a hundred odd to each of those.

Some websites have dubious info, I just had a look at one called scottishfootballgrounds.co.uk which has our record McD attendance as 10,721 against Rangers in a Cup tie in Feb 1990 ???   Can anyone remember this game, or the one they might be talking about??  In our promotion season (1989-90) I remember a Scottish Cup tie away at Ibrox where we were beaten (3-0?) but not sure what they are on about...

You are correct, they are wrong.

Main - about 3000,

East - 3600

Away - 1800

Ormond - 1800

IIRC you could include Tesco's car park punters, back in the day :roll:  

10,721 ain't ever been done at McD., for a football match anyway.

According to the official site the stadium contained 10,700 seats when it was finished. There was a crowd of 10,169 in October 1989 for a match with Partick. Think the crowd against Airdrie the same season beat that by one fan, could be wrong though.

Highest attendance I could find against Rangers was 10,054 in October 1990. Wonder if its possible theres been a mix up in the numbers somewhere? As the official site doesn't mention the Rangers game at all as being anything notable, in fact they say our record attendance was 10,545 v Dundee in 1999

According to the official site the stadium contained 10,700 seats when it was finished. There was a crowd of 10,169 in October 1989 for a match with Partick. Think the crowd against Airdrie the same season beat that by one fan, could be wrong though.

Highest attendance I could find against Rangers was 10,054 in October 1990. Wonder if its possible theres been a mix up in the numbers somewhere? As the official site doesn't mention the Rangers game at all as being anything notable, in fact they say our record attendance was 10,545 v Dundee in 1999

I know for a fact that the East stand had more than it's capacity for the game against Airdrieonians . I was one of quite a few people who had a ticket for a seat already taken by a season ticket holder . Saints had double booked and the system for turnstiles closing when stand was full never worked . I was given comp tickets for the Forfar game at the end of the season as compensation .

Also the cup replay against Caledonian early 90s the North stand was well over capacity ( I think in fact Saints actually got fined by the SFA for that one) and other stands very close to capacity that night. Was there not also a problem against The Arabs when we played them in the 1st Division? Has the OS been updated since they put the new disabled area in the away end of the Main Stand? that took away about 30 seats

I'm positive that is wrong.  It was 10,1?? initially, but as mentioned an extra 500 seats were squeezed in that first summertime after promotion.  I remember it because we held Rangers to a 0-0 draw around October 1990 and the crowd was given as 10,500 or so, and Saints fans were a bit bemused how the attendance had been a few hundred higher than the capacity in an all-seater stadium.  Then the PA revealed the extra seats going in during the close season.

Just looked up McDiarmid Park on wikipedia:

McDiarmid Park is a football stadium in Perth, Scotland, the home ground of St. Johnstone F.C. Opened in 1989, it has an all-seated capacity of 10,696.

goes on to say...

St. Johnstone enjoyed great success when the stadium first opened. The club won promotion to the Premier Division in their first season at McDiarmid.[1] In the first season back in the top flight, the average attendance at McDiarmid was 6,000, approximately three times what it had been at Muirton.[1]These high attendances led the club to create space for another 600 seats, raising the capacity to over 10,700.[1] A record home attendance of 10,721 was set by a home game against Rangers on 26 February 1991.

..but again I don't know where they are getting that record crowd, which given wiki states the capacity is 10,696 then that record crowd must have included the players!!  I always thought the record crowd was against Dundee on last day of season to get into Europe, which I far prefer against our old rivals, same as the record at Muirton was.

I had a look back at the Airdrie game to see if there were many empty seats... I counted 5 !!

Only meant to have a quick look and ended up watching the whole thing again for the 100th time.  Its still the best Saints game ever for me.  I know its probably been covered many times on this site but it had everything.. massive stakes, practically a full house, brilliant atmosphere, and we absolutely battered them into submission.  Zorro and Roddy tore them to pieces.

24 years ago and I remember it like it was last week.. frightening!!

we got beat 2-0 3-0 4-0 5-0

the couple times you talk about in the top games (celtic?)

you are southpaw do you also kick with your left foot?

Just meant the top games on that list....couple of defeats in the top 9 games which are pretty much all against the Old Firm...not bad going.