Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

By all accounts Lomas had virtually lost the entire dressing room by the time he left, had fallen out with the chairman, and had fallen out with his coaching staff. If he'd stayed we be in a far worse position than we are, would never have had the joy of Stevie May and would never have won the cup.

His achievements were good for us, but I'm loathe to say he's one of our best managers when he was well on course to destroy all the hard work that had been made to get us back to the top half, theres more to consider than simply league finishes.

By all accounts Lomas had virtually lost the entire dressing room by the time he left, had fallen out with the chairman, and had fallen out with his coaching staff. If he'd stayed we be in a far worse position than we are, would never have had the joy of Stevie May and would never have won the cup.

His achievements were good for us, but I'm loathe to say he's one of our best managers when he was well on course to destroy all the hard work that had been made to get us back to the top half, theres more to consider than simply league finishes.

His last five games in the top six yielded ten points. Not bad for a manager who 'lost the dressing room.' I'm going to base my opinions on hard facts instead of rumours tbf.

Tommy wright is the best manager in the league and the best we have ever had, I thank steve lomas for bringing him here but thats about it!..we need him signed to a 10 year contract LAUGH OUT LOUD i hope one day am luckjy enouh to meet him so i can shake his hand for making me so proud of being a saints fan

Pretty sure theres quotes from the players about TW saving the dressing room once he took charge, and TWs admitted he was constantly arguing with him

Never seen any quotes like that or any from Tommy saying they were constantly arguing.  Never a great fan of Lomas the man,  but I think you've made this up.  Especially the bit about Tommy,  who I think has a lot more class than you have attributed to him.

Edited by jhq

Tommy said this recently in his Daily Mail interview;

‘We’d had words a few times but the final nail for him was that I didn’t want to join him at Millwall,’ says Wright.

‘Steve did a great job here, but it doesn’t bother me if people don’t speak to me. It doesn’t worry me in the slightest. It’s stubbornness on my part but I see no reason to pick up the phone. So I won’t.’

He's said similar in the past as well - he didn't hear from Lomas in the build up to the final, wishing him luck, he hasn't spoken to Lomas since he left for Millwall etc - but I've never seen anything about personality clashes/conflicts when they were both at the club. They're both strong, stubborn characters and will obviously argue if they disagree, but I always got the impression that their working relationship was quite healthy.

I've heard stories that the players didn't like Lomas much but those are rumours and ultimately well in the past now. On the pitch, they certainly played for him and achieved a 3rd place finish. Lomas' contribution shouldn't be underestimated - he managed two European finishes (one of which on a reduced budget, and after losing some excellent players the previous summer) and brought Wright into the club. I wouldn't go as far as hasting him back, but he deserves plaudits and his record will stand up to most other managers in our history.

If I was running a football club, I would hope to be "having words" with my assistant regularly. If your assistant is a lap dog, he's not going to be much use. 

Both are clearly quite fiery, passionate characters but both go about things very differently. 

I'd imagine Lomas not getting in touch is probably more down to embarrassment of how things played out at Milwall and TW being correct than anything else. He seems quite a stubborn character. 

• 2 years later...